MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60]   Go Down

Author Topic: Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?  (Read 46234 times)

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
Re: Notice any thing new driving around Monroe County?
« Reply #885 on: September 06, 2017, 11:10:20 AM »

Chinese companies, at the urging of their government, have launched a global buying spree, a new phase in their unprecedented economic experiment. And they’re targeting a resource that climate scientists, economists, the U.S. government, even Wall Street, all forecast will become dangerously scarce in the coming decades: food.

Food is poised to become the oil of the 21st century, with scarcity and demand creating a situation ripe for wars, riots and uprisings.

“We have a situation in the world food economy today where the growth in demand is exceeding the supply,” said Lester Brown, a food economist and founder of the Earth Policy Institute.

Food – namely crops such as soy, wheat and corn from which most other food products, such as pasta, bread and livestock meat, are derived – is in dwindling abundance as the world’s population grows ever larger, adding 220,000 mouths to feed every day. At the same time, global warming is destroying up to 2 percent of the world’s crop production every decade, according to the United Nations.

https://www.revealnews.org/article/how-china-purchased-a-prime-cut-of-americas-pork-industry/
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #886 on: September 06, 2017, 11:19:51 AM »

I saw an artilce in the local Bedford rag last week about Howards Meats on Secor.  She indicated she has been buying all her meat from a guy in ypsi for the last 31 years.  She and another person cut it up..

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #887 on: September 06, 2017, 10:32:56 PM »

Chinese companies, at the urging of their government, have launched a global buying spree, a new phase in their unprecedented economic experiment. And they’re targeting a resource that climate scientists, economists, the U.S. government, even Wall Street, all forecast will become dangerously scarce in the coming decades: food.

Food is poised to become the oil of the 21st century, with scarcity and demand creating a situation ripe for wars, riots and uprisings.

“We have a situation in the world food economy today where the growth in demand is exceeding the supply,” said Lester Brown, a food economist and founder of the Earth Policy Institute.

Food – namely crops such as soy, wheat and corn from which most other food products, such as pasta, bread and livestock meat, are derived – is in dwindling abundance as the world’s population grows ever larger, adding 220,000 mouths to feed every day. At the same time, global warming is destroying up to 2 percent of the world’s crop production every decade, according to the United Nations.

https://www.revealnews.org/article/how-china-purchased-a-prime-cut-of-americas-pork-industry/

Wouldn't know it by the prices of those commodities...   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #888 on: September 07, 2017, 09:51:25 AM »

I believe something destroys a percentage of the worlds crop production every year but is it the result of global warming?  We've always had bad weather situations.
And i haven't looked for awhile at the number but the U.S. has millions of acres the governement is paying farmers not to plant.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #889 on: September 07, 2017, 01:58:52 PM »

Hauling meat for years both locally and not locally, my comment is...  It's not where it's cut at, it's where it comes from before it's cut that counts.  If you like chicken, don't ever visit a Tyson processing plant and if you like beef, same goes for the huge MBPXL processing plant in Texas.  Been to both, many times.

The final cuts to sell and the sides and quarters are 2 different things, entirely.

From experience, the best commercially prepared chicken you can get is KFC.  They have the best QC, much stricter than the USDA.  Been there and dealt with KFC too.  When you back up to the dock and (they) cut the door seal, first thing that gets checked (By KFC) is the temperature recorder inside the load.  It has to have maintained a certain temperature or the load is rejected.  Then the USDA inspector checks a box or 2 for temp with an IR thermometer.  if it's ok, it's good with them and they leave but the KFC inspector stays and randomly checks boxes for temperature as well as moisture content and portion weight and you can offload an entire load and if the last box out of the reefer don't pass muster, the whole load is rejected.

Of course you don't take it back, KFC sell the entire load to another chicken cooker like Churches for a reduced price.

Beef is a different story.  Swinging meat (sides and quarters) on hooks hanging from the trailer rails (called rail meat), or boxed meat (half sides and quartered quarters) are only inspected at the packing plant by the USDA and the trailer sealed and when delivered, usually no inspector is present.  The meat is railed off into a meat locker or the boxed meat is offloaded onto skids and meat lockered.  No inspections other than at the packing plant.

The exception is Kosher (I used to haul Kosher beef for an outfit in New York).  Certified Kosher meat is time stamped and is inspected on both ends by a Rabbi (which is a joke).  I had mechanical issues in Youngstown on the way to NYC one time and had to get the load recertified Kosher.  This dude came out, dressed in black with his skull cap on, cut the old seal, affixed a new seal, said a few words in Hebrew and charged me 150 bucks and all was good again.

No difference between Kosher and not Kosher really (except price).

Not familiar with pork, never hauled any.  Jews don't eat pork anyway and most of the meat houses I hauled for were Jewish owned and operated.

I always went and had a good corned beef sandwich and a Kosher dill when delivering in NYC.  Cannot beat a NYC Jewish deli for corned beef.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 02:01:06 PM by SidecarFlip »
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #890 on: September 07, 2017, 03:36:56 PM »

I believe you about KFC. I don't get it much anymore.. The wife loved it and I can say I never had a bad piece...of chicken!

Yeah just because a butcher shop cuts up Qtrs doesn't do it for me. It's still probably full of steroids etc.  I like the guy that buys hogs and steers from a their local farmers. 
And the same with chickens. My meat store has the whole chicken and or breasts from Roots in Fremont Ohio. Roots provides shredded chicken that a lot of grocers sell..

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #891 on: September 20, 2017, 11:20:57 AM »

Lots of places needing asphalt - after the water/sewer line jobs around town.    Pushing the end of season timelines
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #892 on: September 20, 2017, 05:48:10 PM »

Forgetting  about global warming?
Asphalt plants can stay open until Nov maybe
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60]   Go Up