MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 12:15:02 PM 
Started by Frenchfry - Last post by BigRedDog
Well in the early 50's i was a kid that hung out in the park next to the tracks going thru town at the end of the business dist.  Remember trains of all kinds but passenger trains went out of style pretty shortly after that..We'd put pennies on the track

Passenger trains went out of demand by the mid 50s because most of the people could buy a reliable car by then. 

Right after WWII there just weren't any vehicles (new or used) to speak of for sale.  All the pre-war vehicles had been worn out and a lot of them were scrapped for the 'war effort' so not a lot of 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) hand vehicles around.  The big 'three' were busy switching from war production of tanks and planes and 'jeeps' but it wasn't instantaneous.  The 'world' our military had destroyed got an awful lot of the same raw materials that we needed to build vehicles. 

My parents finally bought a new Kaiser Frazer (no idea what model, just a 4 door sedan with a 6 cylinder in line Continental engine with a 3 speed manual transmission and it was painted basic non gloss black.  My Mom promptly rolled it over while she was pregnant with me (I've already heard all the jokes possible for that one) and it took months and months to get it repaired.

Then they had a '53 Buick 4 door (I think it may have had a straight 8 but I don't remember it being very fast) and then finally in '56 my Dad special 'custom' ordered a 1956 Buick Special (3 holes on the fender).  That had a V-8 and a one speed 'DynaFlow' transmission.  The neighbor he worked with had a '54 and then a '57 Mercury with V8s and they would race quite often. 

Anyway, by mid 50s people were all working in the 'post war' boom economy and cars were readily available finally and that really helped put an end to anyone 'needing' to ride the trains. 

This is not quite the color of his '56.  I went along when they ordered it and there were pages and pages of colors available.  A lot has changed in building cars since then.

Otherwise this looked just like our Buick.  The ignition key was just on and off and there was no 'start' button anywhere.  You stepped on the gas which would 'trip' the choke and also make a connection to start the engine.  It worked great new but later on it caused some issues.  Anytime you mix electric and fuel in the same device you'e going to have issues once things get older. 

The DynaFlow trans also had some problems later on and it was very difficult to find anyone capable of working on it.  Finally took it over around Saginaw and a guy that worked on Minneapolis Moline tractors rebuilt it.  Maybe tractors had hydrostatic transmissions by then.

When they bought the '53 Buick they kept the Kaiser for my Dad's go to work car.  The body literally rotted and fell off it in a couple of more years and that was very, very typical for the post war cars.  The steel was low grade to start with and they hadn't figured out how to protect it from all the brine they used on our roads around Midland.

My Dad worked at Dow and had a small farm operation 'on the side'.  We cut the body off the Kaiser and built a 'bed' out of 4" thick oak bridge planks.  Put a couple more planks cross wise for a 'seat' and we had a fairly unique farm vehicle.

The next door neighbor lady named it 'the doodlebug' and she forbid her kids from being anywhere near it when I was driving it.  I started driving it at probably 7 or 8 and never looked back when it came to driving a stick. 

The day we had drivers training road tests I even took my road test on the one 'stick shift' car we had.  Everyone had to have some time driving a stick but most all elected to take their road test on the automatics. 

I even 'volunteered' to go 'first out of the few of us 'farm kids' that were in that line.  I had to slide across the front seat from the passenger door (no bucket seats in those cars).  Then the trooper climbed in and said 'go'. 

I started up and did all the 'safety checks' and then let the clutch out and hit 2nd gear while still in the parking lot.  We were a rural school and campus was huge.  When I made my 2-3 shift (still in the school drive) the trooper said "You've driven before" and had me pull over.  The other 3 or 4 did pretty much the same thing and we had our certificates and were 'gone' before most of the cars had even hit the road yet.

Anyway, here's the '56 Buick.

on: Today at 11:16:58 AM 
Started by Frenchfry - Last post by blue2
Well in the early 50's i was a kid that hung out in the park next to the tracks going thru town at the end of the business dist.  Remember trains of all kinds but passenger trains went out of style pretty shortly after that..We'd put pennies on the track

on: Today at 10:55:35 AM 
Started by Frenchfry - Last post by excelsior
I'd pay for a tour of the whole building

You can join the waitlist here:

https://fordmcsopenhouse.splashthat.com/

They may open up the tour to new dates if the demand exists.

on: Today at 10:36:10 AM 
Started by Monroe Native - Last post by BigRedDog
This is pretty cool if you're into training your dogs to do some complicated things.

This appears to be in Madrid and looks like some kind of a demo at a sporting event. 

The pup is an official police dog and you can see his little blue bubble light on his back. 

It appears to be a Rottweiler so he will definitely have enough weigh to perform effective CPR when he grows up. 

https://twitter.com/SAOFreq15/status/1010878829567643648

on: Today at 10:27:53 AM 
if you  took the train to Stow Oh you probably went thru the little farm towns south of toledo where i grew up..

This would have been in the early 1950s. 

I don't know what kind of train but do remember the Bee Liner to Royal Oak later on.

on: Today at 10:26:03 AM 
Started by eriemermaid - Last post by blue2
i don't think anything is going to change as long as Trump is in office.  Most of the politicians hate him and are going to continue to stir the pot.  The libs feed off the corrupt politicians.

on: Today at 10:24:21 AM 
Started by Frenchfry - Last post by blue2
if you  took the train to Stow Oh you probably went thru the little farm towns south of toledo where i grew up..

on: Today at 10:01:49 AM 
I did some Googling and everything I find indicates the tours have only been extended through Monday. 

I guess at some point they have to get back to working on the renovation.

on: Today at 09:56:46 AM 
I had also wondered if there would be any kind of rail access directly to the 'new' depot.  Apparently they haven't ruled that possibility out but it also goes beyond what even Ford can do alone.  I can certainly see the potential for something in the future.

I was only a few years old and my Mom would take the train from Midland to Stow, Ohio, to visit her sister.  I was too small to remember the train depots along the way but looking back I don't see how she could have made the trip without us going through Michigan Central. 

Later I remember riding the Bee Liner from Midland to Royal Oak to visit another sister.  I was a little older so I could really enjoy that trip.

The 'Bee Liner' was similar to an interurban car but it was diesel powered. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_Rail_Diesel_Car

Budd Diesel Rail Cars Part 1

I guess I got a little 'side tracked' but here's the news clipping:

https://www.freep.com/story/news/columnists/rochelle-riley/2018/06/24/michigan-central-station/722967002/

on: Today at 09:35:17 AM 
Started by eriemermaid - Last post by BigRedDog
Brother.......we really liveinafuckedup world!

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/restaurant-refused-serve-sarah-huckabee-sanders-family-170335133.html

There were at least 4-5 various related threads 'trending' on Twitter yesterday. 

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10