MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > We're All But Done

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 365   Go Down

Author Topic: We're All But Done  (Read 213563 times)

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
Re: We're All But Done
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2010, 08:48:12 AM »

Now you can buy your gold from an ATM like machine :-\ :-\ :-\

Much more at:  http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_GOLD_ATM?SITE=OHTOL&SECTION=US&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

This company will be under investigation by the feds due to the abundance of cash that will be put through the machine. Many sources of questionable income, especially in Florida, will seize the opportunity to launder their cash through this machine. With Anti Money Laundering laws in the Patriot Act, and with laws in place for compliance with these laws, this ATM for gold will be shut down unless Debit/Credit cards are the sole source for purchase. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2010, 09:46:30 PM »

Well folks look at the Cowardly GOP topic and you'll see a prime example of the progressive thinking from many that is going to most likely take this country down. Reality, forget it. We're beyond broke, but we need to give money, we don't have to, 1st responders and then we'll give money to the childen of ..............

Well folks, we're going down a path to oblivion. When the dollar tanks,
and it will if we don't get real, we're going to be see $ 8.00 dollar loaves
of bread, $ 12.00 per gallon of gas  etc. etc., or worse.
John Kopke

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2010, 10:08:51 PM »

The Public Sector and My Grandchildren

Jack is 6 1/2, and Frances Anne just turned 4. I will not burden you with tiresome anecdotes about how funny, quick and special they are. Just take my word for it: They are.

Like all grandparents, I want them to grow up safe and healthy, which got me to thinking about a few of the things we collectively, as communities and as a country, do to make that possible.

The air they breathe and the water they drink are cleaner, safer and healthier because of federal laws than they were when their grandparents grew up. The cars they ride in, because of government regulations and public law, which mandates seat belts and child safety seats, are a lot less dangerous.

They will get an excellent education at superior public schools in a county where 45 percent of the residents are African-American, Latino or Asian. The schools are integrated because their federal government ended racial segregation and guaranteed civil rights, including the right of all to public accommodations, to vote and to buy property.

Jack and Frances Anne have fun playing on the public playground. They expand their imaginations at the public library. Someday they will visit the national parks and swim on a national seashore. They are fascinated by the Internet, the original version of which was designed in the 1960s (no, not by Al Gore) at the Department of Defense.

If either child falls sick and the family doctor prescribes a medicine, we know — because of the Food and Drug Administration — that the prescribed drug will be safe. Thanks to the Family and Medical Leave law, a parent, if necessary, can take time off to nurse a sick child/

When they come to visit us, we know — because of the labels required by law — the exact nutritional value and calorie count of the food we feed them.

We also know, because of legal requirements, that the food we buy for them at the market is safe and has been federally inspected.
Because public law insists, we know that the buildings and the workplace conditions where their parents earn a living are neither unsafe nor unhealthy — and that any creative product either of them authors will be protected by public law, copyright and the courts. We are confident that in the workplace they and their co-workers, because of federal law, will never endure discrimination based on gender, religion, national origin or disability.

Any airplane the family flies in will have to first meet federally imposed safety standards and will be guided from its takeoff through its flight and to its landing by professional air traffic controllers who are federal employees. Relying upon more than 140 million weather readings from satellites, ships, aircraft, land sources and balloons, the National Weather Bureau is able to alert us to sudden storms or worse.

Our public safety is maintained by local police, prosecutors and court system, as well as by state and federal officers. Our national safety is protected by the men and women of the United States armed forces.

The preceding is just a terribly abbreviated sampling of what government at all levels does every day to help make the lives of our children and grandchildren, of all of us, healthier, happier, safer and more prosperous. Everyone seems to know firsthand the shortcomings of government — the too frequent indifference, even incompetence or arrogance — but, especially at this special time of the year, we would do well to remember, even to appreciate, what government does do for those whom we love.

To find out more about Mark Shields and read his past columns, visit the Creators Syndicate web page at www.creators.com.

DISTRIBUTED BY CREATORS.COM

COPYRIGHT 2010 MARK SHIELDS
http://www.creators.com/opinion/mark-shields/the-public-sector-and-my-grandchildren.html
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 10:17:37 PM »

Well Duck, read your post. Are you in the right topic? I'm confused.
Is there a point in there somewhere, anywhere, that makes any sense in this topic?
John Kopke

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2010, 10:36:38 PM »

Why, you keep crying that we spend too much and what about the children....

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2010, 10:37:40 PM »

Republicans Say One Thing In Washington And Something Else At Home:

Senate Republicans took a lot of heat yesterday for stuffing a bill with millions of their own earmarks, then trying to claim they oppose earmarks. but Republicans’ earmark hypocrisy is even starker when you compare what they are saying in Washington, DC to what they are saying to their constituents back home.

In D.C., DeMint Decries Earmarks: “Americans want Congress to shut down the earmark favor factory, and next week I believe House and Senate Republicans will unite to stop pork barrel spending…Instead of spending time chasing money for pet projects, lawmakers will be able to focus on balancing the budget, reforming the tax code and repealing the costly health care takeover.” [The Hill, 11/9/10]

…But In South Carolina, DeMint Defends Earmarks: “U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint said fellow senators are ‘playing politics’ in blocking his colleague's efforts to secure a $400,000 earmark to study deepening Charleston Harbor.” [Herald Online, 9/11/10]

In D.C. , Cornyn Poses As An Anti-Earmark Champion: “I believe the public discontent can be accurately sourced, and Congressional earmarking process has become a symbol for wasteful and undisciplined federal spending. Earlier this month, I joined a bipartisan group calling for a one year moratorium on all earmarks. That effort failed. We missed a major opportunity to show we are serious about tightening our Congressional belts during a difficult economic period.” [Everyone Loses in the Earmark Game, 3/31/08]

… But In Texas, Cornyn Downplays Significance Of His Earmark Opposition, Emphasizes That It’s Only Temporary: Cornyn told the Dallas Morning News that the earmark ban, “’basically is a timeout while we reassess this whole earmarking process, which has been in some instances abused,’ said Texas Sen. John Cornyn, a member of the GOP leadership… Cornyn, like some other moratorium supporters, said the policy should not and won't last indefinitely but agreed that for now, ‘it will have an impact on Texas, just as it will have an impact on the rest of the country.’” [Dallas Morning News, 11/26/10]?

… And Requests Millions In Earmarks For FY2011. [Senator Cornyn FY2011 Appropriations Requests]

In D.C., Thune Lambasts Earmarks: “The bill is loaded up with pork projects, and it shouldn't get a vote. The bill was crafted behind closed doors, and it hasn't gone through the proper oversight or the proper channels.” [Press Conference, 12/15/10]

In South Dakota, Thune Defends Pet Projects: “He has backed similar moratoriums in the past but the proposed 2011 spending bills Congress will consider in the coming weeks include almost 30 Thune-requested projects, such as money for highway projects, water systems and safety programs on Indian reservations… ‘If you include [South Dakota] projects like Lewis & Clark, you end up costing taxpayers much more in inflation and lost economic opportunities,’ Larson said Monday. ‘We applaud responsible efforts to rein in earmark spending, but if that effort wrongly includes authorized projects like Lewis & Clark, it's counterproductive.’ Thune agrees. ‘There are ways that you can do this that really legitimize Congress spending money, and one is authorized projects that went through the normal process and passed the House and the Senate,’ he said last week. ‘To me, that's a very different thing than an earmark that gets dropped into an appropriations bill in a conference committee that hasn't passed the House and the Senate.’” [Argus Leader, 11/16/10]
http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/republican-earmark-hypocrisy
But silence on that because it is right wing pork...

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2010, 10:48:52 PM »

Why, you keep crying that we spend too much and what about the children....

Duck:
Thought I brought this up before. You don't care about the kids. Spend, spend, spend don't worry about a thing. The kids will pick up the tab. Yet it is worse than that. Folks that have sacificed to put
money away for decades to secure their senior years could see their savings disappear when the dollar tanks. Duck doesn't care, spend spend spend .........
John Kopke

Baby Hitler

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2010, 10:52:49 PM »

Reality, forget it. We're beyond broke,
But we can afford to give tax breaks to the ultra rich that could have paid for those responders 10 times over.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2010, 11:04:41 PM »

But we can afford to give tax breaks to the ultra rich that could have paid for those responders 10 times over.

FB:
I agree not extending the exisiting tax rates to the wealthy probably could have paid for the responders, and then some.

Yet I have a problem with the word "give" you used. By extending the existing tax rates what did the government "give" the wealthy?
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 11:35:27 PM »

Brian Beneteau and Fred Muny say?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:38:26 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 11:36:43 PM »

If you want to tax fairly, put a tax on shares of stock traded of only 1 cent per share. Today over 1 billion shares traded hands. Do the math. $10,000,000 per day. Most would find that the 100-500 shares they may trade in a day or week would not affect them that much. The big traders, the ultra rich or corporations, would foot a great deal of the bill.
I don't share my thoughts with the intent to change your mind...I simply wish to let others know my thoughts so that if they are like minded, they know they aren't alone.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2010, 11:53:35 PM »

If you want to tax fairly, put a tax on shares of stock traded of only 1 cent per share. Today over 1 billion shares traded hands. Do the math. $10,000,000 per day. Most would find that the 100-500 shares they may trade in a day or week would not affect them that much. The big traders, the ultra rich or corporations, would foot a great deal of the bill.

Well Brian, your younger than me, and I'm of the opinion you're a pretty sharp cookie. Where do think the country is headed? Am I out there, a nutty old koot, a conspiracy type person deluded in my opinion that the country is facing financial peril? 
John Kopke

Brian Beneteau

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2010, 12:39:59 AM »

Well Brian, your younger than me, and I'm of the opinion you're a pretty sharp cookie. Where do think the country is headed? Am I out there, a nutty old koot, a conspiracy type person deluded in my opinion that the country is facing financial peril?
My opinion is the direction we are headed is the wrong direction. It would be impossible for me to sit and write about my opinions of what has transpired to get us to the point where we currently are. I have problems with the way money was given to corporations to "fix" the country's problems. Banks were given bailouts, and then because they fixed their problems, they decided they would firm up their lending regulations, slowing any growth due to difficulty in securing loans.
The healthcare plan has too many regulations in place to further invade businesses, all the while providing for more government jobs to supervise and audit the new regulations. All will be simply another cost to taxpayers.
If you want to talk about the monetary system, all you have to do is look to the prices that precious metals have climbed due to the lack of faith there is in the dollar. The government simply prints up what, $600 million and this is to have no effect? Is there a reason that the Canadian dollar, which was worth less than half of the US dollar only seven or eight years ago, is now worth more? Did Canada all of a sudden surpass us or have we done something wrong?
We all have our ideas as to what is a bubble, and what is being manipulated or some big government conspiracy being put in place for whatever reasons our imaginations can come up with. The real truth as I see it lies with decisions by our government officials which have allowed our jobs to be sent out of our country, all the while allowing foreign products to be imported at record highs and with no realistic tariffs. Our country has been sold out. China owns nearly 2 trillion US dollars, and what are they doing? They are now allowing their people to own gold. Given enough time, they will no longer have this tie to the US and will have all of their US dollars converted to a worldly accepted monetary instrument, gold. What will we have? Useless paper, hyper inflation, no jobs, lack of credit, and not a lot in the future to look forward to. Until the boys in Washington decide to truly fix our economy by forcing industry back into our own country, we are headed further down the path of foreclosures.
Again this is my opinion, and everyone's opinions will vary. Hopefully no one will attack me for my opinion, and will offer theirs, since we are all in this together. It is unfortunate that our governors, congressmen, senators and representatives are not able to fight for our best interests. It is also unfortunate that regardless of what happens, due to our partisan politics, no one is able to look past what got us here and work towards a solution. Instead they want to point a finger at their predecessor. I have a finger to point back at em if they want finger pointing.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2010, 12:42:42 AM »

This is for the folks, not the Ducks or FB's. The trillion dollar plus deficits the government is running up are not ho hum we'll work through it, we're America. The math doesn't lie.  The time will come,
in the not too distant future, that the Chinese and others will no longer be willing to finance our debt. Already the Federal Reserve is
creating, out of thin air, dollars to finance the debt. This debases the
value of the dollar. China and Russia recently decided to conduct trade
between their countries based on the Chinese Yuan, not the dollar.
If the dollar collapes all hell will break loose. Riots in the streets type stuff. 

This is very, very, very serious. Educate yourself on monetary policy. No time to lose.
John Kopke

SMASH

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2010, 12:58:23 AM »

It is kind of curious that otherwise reasonably intelligent folks believe in the law of gravity but refuse to believe the laws of monetary policy and finance don't apply because we are...America?

Really?

How is it the rest of the world has a clue and most here don't?

Think it might have something to do with that Fed. Dept. of ED thing?

You know that math thing isn't our strong suit.

Seen the latest stats on American math scores?

Go figger.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 365   Go Up