MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > We're All But Done

Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 379   Go Down

Author Topic: We're All But Done  (Read 231702 times)

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
Re: We're All But Done
« Reply #5445 on: March 16, 2017, 07:36:10 PM »

Average SS benefit is $ 1400 per month, before deducting about $ 80 for Medicare. Leave out the Medicare payment for this discussion. SS recipients recently received a .3 percent cost of living increase. This means the monthly payment would increase from $ 1400 a month to $ 1404.40 per month. That works out to a whopping increase of $ 50.40 for the year. Now the guvment tells us inflation is about 2%. So why didn't they increase SS 2%? Without going into detail, the bottom line is they can't afford to. Right now SS is paying out $ 75 billion more than they're taking in, and growing, and growing. For folks that depend solely on their SS income they're screwed, and it's going to get worse year after year with SS cost of living increases being a small fraction of the actual increase in real world inflation. 

Then there are the folks that put money away for retirement. For the most part they can't get a decent return on their money in CD's or whatever (thanks to the Federal Reserve) so they find themselves herded into the stock market, which is a huuuge bubble. There are no fundamentals that justify the current DOW Jones average. Price to earnings ratios on stocks of around 14 to 1 (price to earnings ratio is the value of the stock versus company earnings, for example a stock at $ 20 per share, earnings at $ 2.00 per share equals a 10-1 price to earnings ratio) would be an indication of a solid stock. Today the price to earnings ratio is like 26 to 1! Not good. Haven't seen such a poor PE ratio since like just before the crash in 1929.

The stock market is rigged for big time speculators. They have computers plugged into the stock exchange. If, or should I say when, the stock market crashes their computers will ensure they are the first to hit the exit. Retail investors, that is everyday folks, will be late to the party. They'll want to sell, but there won't be any buyers at that point. Bottom line is retail investors will take it in the shorts, big time. To bring back a line from George Carlin, describing the plight of everyday folks in today's world. " It's a big party, and you aren't invited."     
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 07:40:26 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5446 on: March 16, 2017, 08:31:07 PM »

If I were retiring today instead of 10 years ago I'd have a tougher time deciding between monthly annunity or taking lump sum..

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5447 on: March 16, 2017, 09:41:59 PM »

If I were retiring today instead of 10 years ago I'd have a tougher time deciding between monthly annunity or taking lump sum..

A better decision is prolonging any monthly annuity unless you absolutely have to or until you absolutely have.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5448 on: March 16, 2017, 09:49:12 PM »

Blue are you talking an annuity payment from an insurance company or a monthly pension check.
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5449 on: March 16, 2017, 09:52:19 PM »

A better decision is prolonging any monthly annuity unless you absolutely have to or until you absolutely have.

With the state of things, you might want to take a payout. Look at the funding level of the pension fund. If it's sickly then you might want to take a payout and run.
John Kopke

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5450 on: March 16, 2017, 10:32:16 PM »

A company pension plan

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5451 on: March 16, 2017, 10:35:42 PM »

I took the lump sum 10 years ago. But don't know if that's best now.
And of course with the monthly pay out there is a big difference in the monthly amount if the employee chooses to maintain payment to the spouse.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5452 on: March 16, 2017, 10:49:27 PM »

Here's the thing. In 1971 Nixon took us off the gold standard. Then the price of gold was
$35.00 an ounce of gold. This gave way to a fiat currency. Paper money backed by nothing.
Today the price of gold is over $ 1200. Did gold become more valuable or did the value of the dollar decrease? I'll answer the easy ones. The value of the dollar dropped, big time. Today we have a trading deficit of $ 500 billion plus per year. We've had this kind of imbalance for years. Under a gold standard this couldn't happen. Why? Because if the dollar was pegged to gold, and we couldn't print money, we'd have to pay with dollars backed by gold. If we didn't have the gold to back the dollar then nobody would sell to us. As it is now, the Chinese etc. have been willing to sell us stuff for our paper money. Now it's gotten to the point they've wised up. The Chinese are now taking these paper dollars and buying up American Farmland, and other real assets. After all, if we expect them to take paper in return for real products, then why wouldn't they use that same paper to buy real assets like American real estate, businesses etc. Well folks that is exactly what is happening. Here's the crux. We use paper money to buy stuff like TV's and handhelds, and they use that paper money to buy our farmland, businesses etc. A couple years from now the "stuff" we bought from them will be worth next to nothing and the assets they bought will be worth more, much more. Do you understand what I'm saying?
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5453 on: March 19, 2017, 06:49:03 PM »

College tuition has reached the stratosphere. Spoke to a friend of mine with a daughter who graduated from Michigan. The cost was over $ 100K. Fortunately he and his wife were able to foot the bill. How many can? I'd say far from a majority. But Obama supposedly had the answer back 2009. Have the Federal Government take over student loans. Bottom line, if you're an 18 year old kid that can make your mark on the loan application taxpayers will loan you tens of thousand of dollars. As for the ability to repay the loan doesn't seem to have been an overarching factor. Today $ 137 billion, and rising, of the $ 1.2 trillion loaned is in default .
Default amount is going to continue to rise substantially.

Meanwhile colleges and Universities have been raising tuition etc. double and triple the rate of inflation. Why? Because the empty skulls full of mush had access to unlimited borrowed cash.

Well here is the answer. The colleges and universities become the lenders. If the loans aren't paid back that sucks for them. Stands to reason they would only loan to kids taking courses that would lead to solid jobs making enough money pay back the loans. As it stands now they
could give a fat rats *** if the loan ever gets paid off. They got theirs.
John Kopke

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5454 on: March 19, 2017, 07:17:13 PM »

I'd have to look it up but I think when my son went to UM 87-91 the last year it might have been $8000.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5455 on: March 23, 2017, 11:08:35 PM »

No evidence of Trump folks collusion with Russians the NSA and FBI tell us. Are they wrong, or are the media reports of "alleged" collusion correct? I'll answer the easy ones. The media doesn't have any real evidence at all. And frankly they don't want to have a clue if it doesn't fit the anti-Trump narrative.
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5456 on: March 23, 2017, 11:25:55 PM »

On like January 12th Obama administration set forth the policy that NSA information would be distributed to a number of agencies never previously provided with this information. Why? Did they all of a sudden, 8 days before Trump's inauguration, determine this was a priority that would benefit the incoming Trump administration? Not. The deal was to expand the number of folks that could leak. They were successful. Unfortunately the scheme is coming unglued. Obama may have deniability, but he is right in the middle of it.   
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:31:26 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5457 on: March 25, 2017, 09:49:31 PM »

In the next few months the Congress will have to raise the debt ceiling. The Dems will sit it out. They're a no vote. They'll sit back and watch the Pukes squirm. So the Pukes will be on their own. So how does the so called party of fiscal restraint respond? Quite a conundrum. After all, it's imperative to protect the full faith and credit of the United States of America. Bottom line? If the Congress doesn't vote to increase the debt we won't be able to pay the interest on the national debt. Think about this. What if you had to borrow money just to pay the interest on your credit card debt? You'd obviously be in deep schit. Any questions?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 09:54:02 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5458 on: March 25, 2017, 11:42:57 PM »

John:

The difference is, the government can absolve itself of the debt, basically wipe the slate clean and start over.  As an individual you cannot unless you declare bankruptcy.  They don't have to, because they can.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5459 on: March 26, 2017, 07:42:11 PM »

John:

The difference is, the government can absolve itself of the debt, basically wipe the slate clean and start over.  As an individual you cannot unless you declare bankruptcy.  They don't have to, because they can.

Well D they can't just wipe the slate clean. They can inflate away the debt, which they are already doing, but the folks, as usual, will take it in the shorts. I mentioned before the 3 tenths of a per cent cost of living increase to SS folks. Even the government puts inflation at 1.8% (more likely 3% or more) which means SS folks lost 1.5% in the exchange. Not to mention whatever cash savings they have lost 1.8%. The bottom line is the government is insolvent. They can't pay their bills without borrowing the money. Hell they can even pay the interest on their/our debt without borrowing for crying out loud! 
John Kopke
Pages: 1 ... 362 363 [364] 365 366 ... 379   Go Up