MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Media Bias?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Bias?  (Read 34708 times)

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
Media Bias?
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:40:05 PM »

Over the years several reporters / media people have come and gone through the world of politics.  I remember when Tony Snow (who was originally from Michigan, BTW) did it and thought then it was inappropriate.  Now . . . it almost seems like a "norm". 

It got me to thinking - is this why many people feel there is a "media bias"?  Consider a story from The Examiner (Washinton) which states; That’s the case for a whopping 19 journalists and media executives, including five from the Washington Post and three each from ABC and CNN, who’ve gone into the (Obama) administration or center-left groups supporting the president. Those inside the administration hit 14 this month when the Post’s Stephen Barr joined the Labor Department.

On face value, I am not that concerned about folks moving from one career to another but when you consider that; Many are in communications and speech writing offices, most prominently Jay Carney, the president’s spokesman who ran Time’s Washington bureau, and husband to ABC’s Claire Shipman. It makes me wonder - if they are "crafting" the communications / speeches within the administration this would imply that they agree with the message.  To me this raises a concern because I can't help but wonder if they may have "crafted" the reporting they did in the past to fit these beliefs. 

I just find it sad that we have a culture in control of our government and by default our economy, military and so on . . that, IMO, can breed corruption.  BTW - before anyone gets all uptight and makes assumptions . . . yep . . . the ENTIRE system is corrupt . . . it's just that a Democrat is in the WH right now. 

http://campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/record-19-reporters-media-execs-join-team-obama/380971
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Baggins

• Hero Talker
Re: Media Bias?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:06:49 PM »

There has always been a bias spin to reporting, people have their own opinions and write from that position.  I would rather it be for pure solid facts, but that just isn't the way it works...Do I like it, no, but not much I can do about it either.

A persons best bet is to get there news from several sources, from both sides of the pond...

I fully agree the entire system is corrupt, from top to bottom... :P
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 02:32:13 PM »

There are three sides to every story...

your side...

my side...

and generally the truth is somewhere between the two :o :o :o
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »

A lot of people put their trust and faith in the network news broadcasts and the printed media.  Most of them go out of their way to sway people to vote for who they want.   And most are liberal, Fox News being about the only exception.  My problem exists when some of these organizations get money from the federal government or they wouldn't exist and then they get involved in political affairs.  I think that is wrong.

Baby Hitler

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »

A lot of people put their trust and faith in the network news broadcasts and the printed media.  Most of them go out of their way to sway people to vote for who they want Fox News being about the only exception.
Yes, I did a little bit of editing, but I do see that as the point of view of some around here, when it's hardly the case. 8*

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:17:25 PM »

Don't forget the flip side, when they leave a political post or elected position, they return to the media in some form or other.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Johnson35

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 04:46:20 PM »

A lot of people put their trust and faith in the network news broadcasts and the printed media.  Most of them go out of their way to sway people to vote for who they want.   And most are liberal, Fox News being about the only exception.  My problem exists when some of these organizations get money from the federal government or they wouldn't exist and then they get involved in political affairs.  I think that is wrong.

That is the biggest load of sh** I've seen here for quite a while.
"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love, you make"

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »

Huh

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 01:27:08 AM »

Stating "the ENTIRE system is corrupt" sounds more like an excuse for the sins of Fox News.

I witness biases more often than I'd like but Fox News has earned the most biased reputation.

The Most Biased Name in News
Fox News Channel's extraordinary right-wing tilt
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1067

The Fox News Channel (FNC) is a cable news channel owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation and Saudi Arabian Prince Alwaleed bin Talal; it is considered by many as a quasi-arm of the Republican party or at least the right wing movement.

Surveys have found that Fox News viewers have more misconceptions than those who get their news from other media outlets.
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Fox_News
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »

Stating "the ENTIRE system is corrupt" sounds more like an excuse for the sins of Fox News.

I witness biases more often than I'd like but Fox News has earned the most biased reputation.

The Most Biased Name in News
Fox News Channel's extraordinary right-wing tilt
http://www.fair.org/index.php?page=1067

The Fox News Channel (FNC) is a cable news channel owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation and Saudi Arabian Prince Alwaleed bin Talal; it is considered by many as a quasi-arm of the Republican party or at least the right wing movement.

Surveys have found that Fox News viewers have more misconceptions than those who get their news from other media outlets.
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Fox_News

Of course you expressed your opinion and you are welcome to it.  However - the story is about the fact that 19 individuals have left the world of media and reporting and joined the Obama Administration - this; to any rational, reasonable person, raises the question "did these same individuals report / write stories that tilted to the very must believe in and support as they joined the Administration they were reporting on?"  It is a valid query. 

Thank you for taking the time to once again bash Fox News - however, it seems that at this point most, myself included, will stipulate that they (Fox News) tends to report from a Republican mindset - So that stated maybe consider using the ELMO rule . . . if you are not familiar with this rule it is established in meetings and simply means; "Enough, Let's Move On".  Opinion of Fox noted - care to address the 19 individuals within the Obama Administration? 
"While we try to teach our childern about life, our childern teach us what life is about"  - Angela Schmidt

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »

Here is an article that offers research and polls to support findings on the issue of Media bias

The Liberal Media Exposed (PDF Report): Formatted, easy-to-print pages detailing the key results of nearly two dozen surveys about media bias. The report also includes quotes from top journalists denying a liberal media bias, plus comments from journalists acknowledging the problem.

How the Media Vote. Surveys of journalists’ self-reported voting habits show them backing the Democratic candidate in every presidential election since 1964, including landslide losers George McGovern, Walter Mondale and Michael Dukakis. In 2004, a poll conducted by the University of Connecticut found journalists backed John Kerry over George W. Bush by a greater than two-to-one margin. See Section.
Journalists’ Political Views. Compared to their audiences, journalists are far more likely to say they are Democrats or liberals, and they espouse liberal positions on a wide variety of issues. A 2004 poll by the Pew Research Center for The People & The Press found five times more journalists described themselves as “liberal” as said they were “conservative.” See Section.

How the Public Views the Media. In increasing numbers, the viewing audiences recognize the media’s liberal tilt. Gallup polls have consistently found that three times as many see the media as “too liberal” as see a media that is “too conservative.” A 2005 survey conducted for the American Journalism Review found nearly two-thirds of the public disagreed with the statement, “The news media try to report the news without bias,” and 42 percent of adults disagreed strongly. See Section.

Admissions of Liberal Bias. A number of journalists have admitted that the majority of their brethren approach the news from a liberal angle. During the 2004 presidential campaign, for example, Newsweek’s Evan Thomas predicted that sympathetic media coverage would boost Kerry’s vote by “maybe 15 points,” which he later revised to five points. In 2005, ex-CBS News President Van Gordon Sauter confessed he stopped watching his old network: “The unremitting liberal orientation finally became too much for me.” See Section

Denials of Liberal Bias. Many journalists continue to deny the liberal bias that taints their profession. During the height of CBS’s forged memo scandal during the 2004 campaign, Dan Rather insisted that the problem wasn’t his bias, it was his anybody who criticized him. “People who are so passionately partisan politically or ideologically committed basically say, ‘Because he won’t report it our way, we’re going to hang something bad around his neck and choke him with it, check him out of existence if we can, if not make him feel great pain,’” Rather told USA Today in September 2004. “They know that I’m fiercely independent and that’s what drives them up a wall.” See Section.

Evidence of Bias in News Coverage. The Media Research Center continuously reports on instances of the liberal bias in the mainstream media. Daily BiasAlerts offer a regular roundup of the latest instances of biased reporting, while our NewsBusters blog allows Web users to post their own reactions. Media Reality Check fax reports showcase important stories that the news media have distorted or ignored, and several times each year the MRC publishes Special Reports offering in-depth documentation of the media’s bias on specific issues.

http://archive.mrc.org/biasbasics/biasbasics1.asp
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 09:57:03 AM »

Not all media bias is political in the terms of Democrat/Republican.   

Fairly Definitive Proof of Media Bias
JAN 20 2010, 7:52 AM ET
Sometimes the bias just smacks you in the face. Take this story from Reuters, which concerns efforts by the U.N. and various NGOs to convince Israel to open its semi-sealed  border with Gaza. The story opens with a heartbreaking story:
Palestinian high-school student Fida Hejji died of cancer waiting for Israeli permission to go to an Israeli hospital for treatment.
Hejji, 18, was promised an entry permit three times. Three days after she died last November, her family got a call to say the hospital had set the date for her admission.

A terrible story, and one reason I support ending Israel's closure of the border. But wait: In the 11th paragraph of the story -- after we are told about Israel's various deprecations and crimes against Gaza, we read the following:

Hejji had hoped to get life-saving treatment in Israel as other Gazans have done. The Egyptian border is also closed.

Notice the sentence construction. The Egyptian border "is closed." By whom? Perhaps by... Egypt? As most people know, Egypt shares a border with Gaza, and it too seeks to punish Hamas, which rules Gaza, and protect its own citizens, by keeping its border sealed. I don't agree with this closure either. But why is Israel's closure worthy of worldwide condemnation, and why does Egypt's own closed border barely get mentioned?

A clue can be found in the following background paragraph, deeper in the story:

Israel captured Gaza from Egypt in a 1967 war. The ensuing occupation saw limited Palestinian scope for developing an autonomous health service. Israel left in 2005 but the result was far from the peaceful coexistence it might have hoped for.

Critics accuse Israel of applying collective punishment to Gaza's 1.5 million people, who are ruled by an elected Islamist government of the Hamas movement. Hamas refuses to recognize Israel and preaches armed struggle until its destruction.

Put aside the tremendous strides made in the development of an autonomous health service in Gaza during the Egyptian occupation from 1948 until 1967. What else is missing from this description? Israel "left" Gaza in 2005. Then what happened? Did Gaza take the billions in aid it received from donor nations and build itself into a new Abu Dhabi? Or did Hamas use the abandoned Jewish settlements of Gaza as launching pads for rocket attacks on civilians inside Israel? Who can know? Certainly not people who read Reuters.
http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2010/01/fairly-definitive-proof-of-media-bias/33823/
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Baggins

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »

Those are some good articles Prof H...One thing I'd like to point out though...

? Israel "left" Gaza in 2005. Then what happened? Did Gaza take the billions in aid it received from donor nations and build itself into a new Abu Dhabi?(or even one hospital?) Or did Hamas use the abandoned Jewish settlements of Gaza as launching pads for rocket attacks on civilians inside Israel?

And you wonder WHY Israel has a closed border... ???

The Palestinians could have a better way of life, if they gave up on "the destruction" of Israel...
"Praise not the day until evening has come,
 A sword until it is tried,
 A maiden until she is married,
 Ice until it has been crossed,
 Beer until it has been drunk!" - (Viking proverb)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:58 AM »

Of course you expressed your opinion and you are welcome to it.  However - the story is about the fact that 19 individuals have left the world of media and reporting and joined the Obama Administration - this; to any rational, reasonable person, raises the question "did these same individuals report / write stories that tilted to the very must believe in and support as they joined the Administration they were reporting on?"  It is a valid query. 

Thank you for taking the time to once again bash Fox News - however, it seems that at this point most, myself included, will stipulate that they (Fox News) tends to report from a Republican mindset - So that stated maybe consider using the ELMO rule . . . if you are not familiar with this rule it is established in meetings and simply means; "Enough, Let's Move On".  Opinion of Fox noted - care to address the 19 individuals within the Obama Administration?
But the topic title doesn't indicate that you wanted the focus to be primarily on the unsubstantiated story about journalists and media executives working for the government....or as your first post said...center-left groups supporting the president.

I looked for more info but only found right-wing sites parroting the news of this vast conspiracy that even if true, 19 people in the vast sea of governmental workers is an infinitesimal percentage and I doubt the individuals wield the power to force their former corporate owners to convey their particular biased message.

That's what it boils down to....corporations dictate the overall message....as anyone that has ever worked for Fox News can attest
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_News_Channel_controversies

Considering the years of economic famine and cutbacks...it's not difficult to see why someone would opt for the steady paycheck of a government job.

But what I'm seeing is just another feeble attempt to throw everything and anything at the Obama administration and see what sticks.

The tinfoil-wrapped heads are just trying to further their agenda with their conspiratorial nonsense.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Will Sweat

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 12:02:42 PM »

But what I'm seeing is just another feeble attempt to throw everything and anything at the Obama administration and see what sticks.

The tinfoil-wrapped heads are just trying to further their agenda with their conspiratorial nonsense.

Because that is what you want to see.  Had you read my initial post I pointed out that I felt it was wrong for Tony Snow to join the Bush Administration and it most certainly, right or wrong, cemented the opinion to many that FOX new pushes a Republican Platform.  That's a legitimate critique. 

So then . . . is it a legitimate question to ask the same of the 19 who have left the newsroom to join the Obama Administration?  Of course it is. 

Fry - the problem is that you want to see everything as "right" or "left" . . . . when it isn't.  The irony is that why you consider this story infinitesimal percentage in terms of the people and impact . . . it is these very persons that we expect to provide us with the news.  I suspect that you would not have the same feeling if a Republican were in the White House.  I don't really care who is in the White House - this is not OK - in my opinion. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45   Go Up