MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > Warning for Toledo and South County Water users: DO NOT DRINK THE WATER!

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43]   Go Down

Author Topic: Warning for Toledo and South County Water users: DO NOT DRINK THE WATER!  (Read 39802 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Warning for Toledo and South County Water users: DO NOT DRINK THE WATER!
« Reply #630 on: August 09, 2018, 09:30:33 AM »

Little Gasparilla and it's big sister 'Gasparilla' Island are part of the long barrier reefs off the gulf coast.  They're south of Sarasota for the geographically challenged and just south and west of Punta Gorda.  We've been going to PG for decades so I'm fairly familiar with the area. 

They're having algae issues too except their algae is red.  I'm not a marine biologist so not sure of the fine differences that make it a different color.  I'll read more on it later.

Down there it's bad enough to make people sick.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/08/07/toxic-algae-bloom-killing-marine-life-making-people-sick-along-floridas-gulf-coast.html
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #631 on: August 09, 2018, 11:26:34 AM »

If you could grind your way down thru the rock could you slide the blue plastic inside plastic (PVC) pipe to protect it.  That stuff isn't to pricy

That's along the line of what I'm thinking. 

I watched the crew real close when they installed the mains.   They're plastic pipe but the walls are over 3/4 of an inch thick.  They put extra pea gravel completely surrounding the pipe to help protect from one of the bigger or sharper rocks.  I plan on running a double run of 3/8 or 1/2 inch PEX.  I'll run a connection to the hot water heater so I can circulate hot water through the PEX just in case the water line should freeze when we have some extra cold winter weather.  And before someone asks 'yes' I will blow the water out of my PEX 'heater' once I have the water running again.  I'll even run a slug of RV antifreeze through to make sure it doesn't freeze.  I'll be able to do all this with connections right inside the basement.  PEX doesn't freeze and break but it's still hard trying to push a slug of ice around a 180 degree turn.  I will wait to hook all that up after SC water inspects my installation though.  Don't want them to freak out too bad!!!

I really don't think it will ever freeze but a little prevention when installing it will go a lot farther than a lot of work once it's frozen.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #632 on: August 09, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »

At least the tubing So County sells now won't rupture in 20 years. All of Bedfords first phase customers are replacing water lines with the blue stuff. Me included

You have stinky lime aide yet?
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #633 on: August 16, 2018, 09:09:23 AM »

A project on the River Raisin.  Every little bit helps over the long haul.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180815/showcasing-environmental-improvements-along-river-raisin

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #634 on: August 16, 2018, 10:34:47 AM »

Here's a project that will contribute to a cleaner Lake Erie as all the water in the 'upper' lakes eventually ends up here in the Western Basin of Lake Erie.

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Regional-September-Adopt-a-Beach-Cleanup-Set-for-Sept-15-490873151.html

I'll try to find an article related but I saw a few tweets in the last few days about sightings of an algae bloom in Lake Superior.  I don't know if this has been confirmed but if so then it would be unprecedented!

Maybe if Monsanto dumped all their extra RoundUp in the great lakes it would kill off all the algae 8* 8* 8*

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #635 on: August 16, 2018, 10:51:46 AM »

Here's a project that will contribute to a cleaner Lake Erie as all the water in the 'upper' lakes eventually ends up here in the Western Basin of Lake Erie.

http://www.13abc.com/content/news/Regional-September-Adopt-a-Beach-Cleanup-Set-for-Sept-15-490873151.html

I'll try to find an article related but I saw a few tweets in the last few days about sightings of an algae bloom in Lake Superior.  I don't know if this has been confirmed but if so then it would be unprecedented!

Maybe if Monsanto dumped all their extra RoundUp in the great lakes it would kill off all the algae 8* 8* 8*

I didn't have to look far...   found it in yesterday's Detroit News.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/08/15/researchers-look-lake-superior-algae-bloom/37488251/

At this point it looks like they're still testing to see if the bloom is toxic.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #636 on: August 16, 2018, 10:59:05 AM »

And my cousin who owns 100 acres next to Ottawa Wildlife preserve is turning 40 acres that borders Crane creek into wetlands instead of farmland..  But i think he wants to insure a good place to duck hunt

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #637 on: August 16, 2018, 11:18:25 AM »

And my cousin who owns 100 acres next to Ottawa Wildlife preserve is turning 40 acres that borders Crane creek into wetlands instead of farmland..  But i think he wants to insure a good place to duck hunt

Nothing wrong with enjoying his duck hunting on his restored wetlands.  All of the area around Toledo was all wetlands at one time.  The Great Black Swamp. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #638 on: August 16, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »

I like pressed duck and I get all I want.  One of my hunting buds owns an island in the Maumee River and ducks are plentiful there.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #639 on: August 17, 2018, 12:15:22 PM »

A project on the River Raisin.  Every little bit helps over the long haul.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180815/showcasing-environmental-improvements-along-river-raisin

Every little bit adds to the deficits too
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43]   Go Up