MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > What are you thinking - (political version)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 208   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you thinking - (political version)  (Read 97282 times)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: What are you thinking - (political version)
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 09:59:23 AM »

Still more fire protection than you have Prof....

8*
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2014, 10:42:47 AM »

I'm thinking that some just cannot discuss any topic without expressing it in a confrontational or offensive manner that halts further rational debate.  Same observation as to what is wrong with Congress and politics in general in this country where just being a "jerk" is the norm.  No wonder we are all done!
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2014, 03:45:16 PM »

Still more fire protection than you have Prof....

8*
Not under the current experiment -
We have Monroe Township ...  Same as you  ;D

a few citizens were wondering why it took so long to get a FIRE truck - when the station was a few blocks away  :(   
None of this came from anyone on the fire department or the news since it wasn't made newsworthy - but from someone I know who lived nearby and told me what they saw... 

Are you referring to the fire at 650 Donnalee ??? ??? ???
Near or on John Rolfe is what I heard, so it could be...

Careless cook/ garage with damage to the neighboring house.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2014, 04:08:35 PM »

Word is is that a Lincoln from the township made it there before the fire truck did.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2014, 05:01:34 PM »

Did ya know Strippers love to watch firefighters in action

especially when you tell them you have brass pole experience!
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2014, 05:23:29 PM »

Did ya know Strippers love to watch firefighters in action

especially when you tell them you have brass pole experience!

Never saw a brass pole at a tit club, always chrome.... ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »

Not under the current experiment -
We have Monroe Township ...  Same as you  ;D

a few citizens were wondering why it took so long to get a FIRE truck - when the station was a few blocks away  :( 

Its not an experiment Prof, and you know that very well.

To call it an experiment would be to pretend that there is a different model to go back to, and you know the money just isn't there to man it like it was.  I was at the meeting where your Union pissed away the last hope for manpower to be sitting at that station, and as we discussed it was a sad night for the town.

Maybe there are other models we could use.  I advocate a City of Monroe Volunteer force.  As you stated so eloquently it seems to work in Monroe TWP, and that is what you have in your TWP, even though you don't live in Monroe TWP.  We could also explore Paid on Call - like Frenchtown recently did.  Either service model would work - but I bet you the union you belong / belonged to would squeal like a stuck pig if either one of them were proposed.  But hey - I am all about what is the best service for the citizens, and if they go to volunteer, I will be the first to sign up.  Heck, I would even think about paid on call if all the pay was deferred.

There isn't money to go back to a Traditional Fire Department - at least not until all that pension obligations are paid off.  Its just too bad that last millage increase had to go to pay for past obligations instead to pay current services rendered?

I mean wouldn't it be nice if the current residents weren't paying for services rendered 20 years ago and today?  I bet you we could get better service then!

;)

Hope you didn't find this confrontation like Fuzz is accusing me off, and humorous like I intended it.  Frankly I found his little fit to be fairly humorous, because I do find it sad that there isn't manning at that station around the clock.  At least ONE guy to drive the truck to the fire at least.

It is something that isn't talked about much, the cone of silence is over it, and when something happens they pretend it is the exception, not the rule.

With that said Larry Merkle runs one heck of a Fire Dept in Monroe Township, does he not?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2014, 07:44:04 PM »

Its not an experiment Prof, and you know that very well.

To call it an experiment would be to pretend that there is a different model to go back to, and you know the money just isn't there to man it like it was.  I was at the meeting where your Union pissed away the last hope for manpower to be sitting at that station, and as we discussed it was a sad night for the town.

Maybe there are other models we could use.  I advocate a City of Monroe Volunteer force.  As you stated so eloquently it seems to work in Monroe TWP, and that is what you have in your TWP, even though you don't live in Monroe TWP.  We could also explore Paid on Call - like Frenchtown recently did.  Either service model would work - but I bet you the union you belong / belonged to would squeal like a stuck pig if either one of them were proposed.  But hey - I am all about what is the best service for the citizens, and if they go to volunteer, I will be the first to sign up.  Heck, I would even think about paid on call if all the pay was deferred.

There isn't money to go back to a Traditional Fire Department - at least not until all that pension obligations are paid off.  Its just too bad that last millage increase had to go to pay for past obligations instead to pay current services rendered?

I mean wouldn't it be nice if the current residents weren't paying for services rendered 20 years ago and today?  I bet you we could get better service then!

;)

Hope you didn't find this confrontation like Fuzz is accusing me off, and humorous like I intended it.  Frankly I found his little fit to be fairly humorous, because I do find it sad that there isn't manning at that station around the clock.  At least ONE guy to drive the truck to the fire at least.

It is something that isn't talked about much, the cone of silence is over it, and when something happens they pretend it is the exception, not the rule.

With that said Larry Merkle runs one heck of a Fire Dept in Monroe Township, does he not?
I hear that the City is hiring Firefighters again - so that's why I call it what it was...  a failed experiment.

You almost had a mutiny of cops leaving the program - if they hadn't let the ring leader have a cushy desk job without testing for it... 

Check your sources you'll figure it out quick 

As far as the pension - it's funded
Just got the retirement system letter
98.2% funded!     with an increase of 13.7 million last year. 
I doubt many other systems are funded at that level

Your complaint is that the Council gave raises - not figured in the actuarial calculations - and now they have to pay for it.

As far as your knowledge on what other departments have and what works best  - I'll leave it at best you really don't know the terminology.

Monroe Twp is paid on call,  Frenchtown has both full and paid on call...   
The term "Volunteer" is from the past when the government had no interest, but the citizens formed units to provide services...   then over time the governments got involved (especially after they learned they were liable).

There may be a few departments that still have volunteers - but with the time involvement of calls and training - the people willing to do it are less and less,

The numbers are down and the age of those left are increasing...   
I hate reading about a 60 plus yo firefighter who died after responding to a call...   this is not a job for 60 plus year olds!

We really should discuss this sometime in person... 
although it may take hours as I enjoy a good debate
and neither of us is lacking in getting in the last word   ;D
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2014, 08:53:03 AM »

I'm thinking the resident that had a fire in the Manor, wishes they had firefighters at the N.Custer Station...    2 police officers in a car don't do much... 

Don't worry - they kept it out of the news - so you wouldn't really know.

I've heard the city dispatched back to the scene 3 times for rekindles...  don't know if they were actually burning or just a hot spot.  The last time was 3 days after the original fire and central did say the owner was in the home and was requesting a fire truck as they had one spot that was still "steaming"!  Central was very thorough though...  they asked the responding truck if they wanted Frenchtown dispatched for assistance...   for the record, they said "NO, I think we can handle this one" :o :o :o
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2014, 09:39:52 AM »

Well police cars can only carry so much water...    ;D

Sad to hear someone had a fire on Thanksgiving, and I'm surprised they didn't have a fire restoration crew in already... 3 days later. 

Hopefully they didn't have some cut rate insurance - or hopefully they actually had insurance!

Those crews respond 24 hours a day 7 days a week - and usually don't take a year or more unless it's government work...  (Sawyer House)
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

Epitaph

• Active Talker
  • "Cursed be the man who trusts in man..." Jer 17v5
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 01:25:58 PM »

An outsider's view:
Im wondering how cost effective living in Monroe is becoming... thinking sooner or later home owners rates will reflect the reduction in services, not to mention other expenses folks have to cover to reside where they do. Monroe seems to always be distracted with attracting tourist $, maybe they should be more concerned about Retaining residential $. There are always cuts/savings that can be made. It just depends on whether folks choose to work together to benefit the community and foster growth, or continue to work against each other as adversaries to degrade, erode, and eventually retard and inhibit growth.
As long as everyone has the "not on MY dime" attitude growth is not active, but erosion is. there's a perfect example of that about 40 miles north. Maybe one day Monroe will have the distinction of being known as the little "D" to the south, cause to me it sounds like the same name calling, bickering, in-fighting, and general overall blame placing that those in the big "D" have been doing for decades that got them into bankruptcy.

I think this is what it looks like when individuals of neighborhoods,  communities, states, and nations put their personal, individual interests ahead of the over-all good of ALL those who comprise those entities combined. Sounds like the perfect recipe for collapse, anarchy, and destruction of the whole.

But maybe I think too much.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 12:05:36 AM »

I'm thinking that either a lot of perfect crimes are happening -
or the "investigation" side of our LE is something that needs to be looked at and overhauled... 

the Nevaeh case,  the car bombing,  the disappearance of a woman from a party
and these are only the ones that make the news   

How many other cases or unsolved crimes are out there,
 and does anyone even track this statistic?

I doubt you'll find it in the annual reports... 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 07:21:58 PM »

I'm thinking that both Obama and Putin are on slippery slopes........
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 02:53:07 AM »

I hear that the City is hiring Firefighters again - so that's why I call it what it was...  a failed experiment.

You almost had a mutiny of cops leaving the program - if they hadn't let the ring leader have a cushy desk job without testing for it... 

Check your sources you'll figure it out quick 

As far as the pension - it's funded
Just got the retirement system letter
98.2% funded!     with an increase of 13.7 million last year. 
I doubt many other systems are funded at that level

Your complaint is that the Council gave raises - not figured in the actuarial calculations - and now they have to pay for it.

As far as your knowledge on what other departments have and what works best  - I'll leave it at best you really don't know the terminology.

Monroe Twp is paid on call,  Frenchtown has both full and paid on call...   
The term "Volunteer" is from the past when the government had no interest, but the citizens formed units to provide services...   then over time the governments got involved (especially after they learned they were liable).

There may be a few departments that still have volunteers - but with the time involvement of calls and training - the people willing to do it are less and less,

The numbers are down and the age of those left are increasing...   
I hate reading about a 60 plus yo firefighter who died after responding to a call...   this is not a job for 60 plus year olds!

We really should discuss this sometime in person... 
although it may take hours as I enjoy a good debate
and neither of us is lacking in getting in the last word   ;D

Not the benefits side - as you well know.

Hence the millage rate increase - to attempt to meet the shortfall - but they admit it wont.

Love to, but hard to find time between my work schedule and your retirement schedule!

;)
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 11:55:11 AM »

I see the person who was given the cushy job to stop the mutiny has been busy with a few fires - and he apparently learned to not let another rekindle occur ...   ;)  The State will come in and assist on the latest as a death was involved.   

Investigating fires is much different from investigating crimes

Let me know how the Statistic of solved crimes search goes... 
instead you get: (from the police budget presentation to council)

• 310,287 Miles patrolled    (35 miles/hr)
• 2533 Citations issued      (7/day)
• 1815 Warnings issued
• 1043 Subpoena’s served
• 6472 Parking violations      (18/day)

They are good at showing busy work -
Curious why not results...
For instance - How many of these were solved? 
                           (and why is it a secret?)
Homicide
Robbery
Criminal Sexual Conduct
Auto Theft
Breaking & Entering
Larceny

Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 208   Go Up