MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > The Republican Agenda

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: The Republican Agenda  (Read 1038 times)

whispers

• Hero Talker
Re: The Republican Agenda
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2017, 10:21:19 PM »

So who gets the money at the "Non Profit" when a "For Profit" buys them out?

8*

Good question .... a non-profit isn't owned by any one person rather it was formed by some organization or foundation. When they create surplus it dispersed among other non-profits groups. If pays an executive CEO, the government is watching and requires them to file proper paperwork.

I am not certain so, I'm taking a stab at the question "who gets the money at the "Non Profit" when a "For Profit" buys them out?"  My guess is that when foundation or non-profit group files their paperwork to terminate tax exemption the
property and equipment are either sold or auctioned or the government assumes it, and they administer the sale to a for profit group ... just a guess though.

Tim Heiss

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2017, 10:43:11 PM »

So who gets the money at the "Non Profit" when a "For Profit" buys them out?

8*

Good question. It seems Beaumont Hospital had an income of over $78 million after expenses with less than 1% going towards charity care.

http://watchdog.org/259012/michigans-nonprofit-hospitals-profit-spending-fraction-charity-care/
When the debate is lost slander becomes the tool of the loser.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2017, 09:56:09 AM »

Good question. It seems Beaumont Hospital had an income of over $78 million after expenses with less than 1% going towards charity care.

http://watchdog.org/259012/michigans-nonprofit-hospitals-profit-spending-fraction-charity-care/

Is that an indication that the issue with the people without insurance coverage isn't as big as some political parties would have us believe?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2017, 11:29:23 AM »

Not following that MN.....are you suggesting a correlation?
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Tim Heiss

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »

Is that an indication that the issue with the people without insurance coverage isn't as big as some political parties would have us believe?
It's all a matter of where the hospitals are, what their specialties are and who their customers are, and how able they are to pay their bills. Some "non-profits" are doing exceptionally well, others not so much.

One other thing, there was a long period of time that I didn't have coverage and didn't go to the doctor either because I couldn't afford it. Until one night I couldn't lay down without having chest pain and the feeling I couldn't breathe I went to the ER and was admitted with congestive heart failure.

I imagine there are/were a lot of people out there just like how I was. No insurance and not wanting to go to the doctor because it would set them back financially.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 12:53:57 PM by Tim Heiss »
When the debate is lost slander becomes the tool of the loser.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 01:28:33 PM »

I would think that if there is a big issue with uninsured people - that the amount of charity work donated would be large.

The ACA act only moved the number of insured by a few percent - yet a non profit hospital still only donates a percent towards that?

Makes me wonder if they are being stingy, or if the need is being met already, or if we just don't care as a country.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2017, 03:38:09 PM »

I think it is a combination of the three......good points.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2017, 04:31:24 PM »

So what is the point of a "Non Profit Organization" in this country if it isn't to serve their fellow man is some way or another?

I look at Promedica - and it appears their mission is to buy up all surrounding hospitals, and to build new buildings.  Same thing at U of M Health Systems - or U of M Medicine or whatever they call it now.  They are always building something bigger and better - because they need to spend?

Why not spend it on caring for people - or research - or ___________  fill in the blank?

Some of these hospital lobbies are starting to make shopping malls look shabby, and they sure have more stores and eateries open.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2017, 04:54:37 PM »

Promedica just getting started.  They are going to build a new hospital
Across the street from the current one and then tear the oldest building down.

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2017, 05:19:12 PM »

I haven't followed a few of his comments ...

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2017, 04:49:06 PM »

Report: Kid Rock Floated as Possible Senate Candidate

Kid Rock’s name has reportedly been floated as a potential Republican candidate for Michigan Democrat Debbie Stabenow’s Senate seat.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2017/02/15/kid-rock-floated-possible-senate-candidate/

An American Cowboy doing the Hillbilly Stomp on Stebenow?  He's got a national and international following that absolutely loves the man.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:50:57 PM by whispers »

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2017, 04:54:35 PM »

Kid Rock would get laid more in DC than Bill Clinton did.

Isn't there some sort of establishment rule that the President or a Senator can't openly get laid?   ;)

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2017, 05:03:53 PM »

I'd vote for Tim over Stabenow

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2017, 05:32:27 PM »

I haven't followed a few of his comments ...

If you don't understand it must be because I have done a poor job explaining my position.

Let me know when I missed my mark and I will be happy to give it another shot.

My only point on "non profit" hospitals is they sure seem to be on a building spree, and they seem to becoming more and more grand.

I think this is because to not show a profit they must spend the money they are making - either by acquiring more hospitals, or by making new and bigger and grander buildings.

Now - I would think that if you were a "Non Profit" hospital with the express purpose of providing certain health care services to a population - and you had an issue of what to do with excess money coming in - you could take the approach of extending services to the needy or lowering the costs you charge for your services - so you break even and just cover your operating expenses and have enough to cover what you need to invest in the future.

Right now it would appear that several of the larger conglomerates must have excess cash to burn, so they just keep building and growing.

That doesn't necessarily make sense to me - unless there is a corresponding demand that requires an expansion.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2017, 07:19:39 PM »

They will be renaming Toledo,  Promedica Ohio pretty soon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up