MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > The new Media - make the news help your Democrat party

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The new Media - make the news help your Democrat party  (Read 359 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
The new Media - make the news help your Democrat party
« on: February 18, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »

Well the Huffington Post at least has recognized the Media for what it has been doing...

Running with questionable sources - adding personal opinions and content to sensationalize

===================================================
AP’s story hit Twitter like a neutron bomb. It’s easy to see why — the AP’s tweet read: “BREAKING: Trump administration considers mobilizing as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants.” Madness, right? Time to gravely intone, “And so it begins,” for the 900th time!

Pause a minute. Right now, the media is probably more primed for a freak-out than we’d care to admit. And that’s led to mistakes. Here are some stories you might recall over the past few weeks: The Treasury Department is going to ease sanctions that allow companies to pursue transactions with the Russian security service! LGBTQ issues pages have suddenly vanished from the White House website! Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch was in a “Fascism Forever” club!

These are just a few stories, off the top of my head, that ended up getting “Donald Trump is breaking democratic norms and we’re heading for all sorts of crises” treatment that actually had completely different explanations or were merely quotidian events that could have safely escaped mention. That Treasury decision? It was an adjustment that was initiated before Trump took office. Those White House webpages? Part of a standard, administrative changeover. Neil Gorsuch’s club? It wasn’t a real club — just a lighthearted joke made up for high school yearbook laughs.

You can see some of this when you start to examine the fundamentals of The Associated Press story on this draft memo. The AP reports:

(memo pic here)

The AP goes on to report that the memo was “written by U.S. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly” and that while “National Guard personnel have been used to assist with immigration-related missions on the U.S.-Mexico border before, they have never been used as broadly or as far north.”

So, here is what appears to be the draft memo. (I say “appears to be” because I have no way of knowing whether this is precisely what the AP received, or if the memo has been revised since the AP obtained it.) Nowhere within will you find anything about 100,000 National Guard troops being mobilized to round people up. As near as I can tell, that figure seems to have been derived by totting up the number of available National Guard troops in the states affected by this draft memo. That may be close to the number of National Guard troops available — certainly the AP hedges by saying “as many as 100,000” troops might be potentially involved.

I might have refrained from offering this estimate, however, for two reasons. First, it would be up to the discretion of the governors in these states to deploy their National Guard troops. It’s not clear whether they would choose to do so. Second, it would seem rather sensible to imagine that if the governors affected by this memo did choose to deploy National Guard troops to pursue this mission, they would likely not assign the entirety of their states’ contingents to this task. So, in theory, sure, “as many as 100,000.” In practice, no.

Knowing this, it won’t just be White House press secretary Sean Spicer’s stringent denials that will make the AP story look oversold. The AP has opened itself to criticism from the White House, and may have spread unnecessary fear among immigrant communities and their advocates. Like some of the previous stories I’ve cited, AP is a bit out over its skis on this — unnecessarily so — and leaves itself exposed to a credibility hit.

This “primed for freakout” condition is common in the Trump-era press. And before you accuse me of being up on a high horse about this, let me confess that I’ve had to confront this tendency in myself as well, and I am, at this moment, always on the verge of lapsing. What happened today fits a pattern. We’ve seen this whole “draft order of dubious origin gets leaked and denied” game on two previous occasions. On Jan. 25, The New York Times obtained a draft of an executive order that would revive CIA “black sites.” It was reported that Trump was “poised to lift the ban” on these practices. But the White House very quickly countered that the draft order was “not a White House document,” and for a while, no one was sure from whence it had originated. Eventually, the Times got the origin story sourced to the White House, which had “circulated the draft order among national security staff members.”

Ultimately, however, no executive order on black sites was signed. Similarly, a draft executive order curtailing the rights of the LGBTQ community ended up being reported in February. According to accounts, this draft was “circulating in the Trump administration,” and when news of this broke, it touched off another round of jump-scares about the White House adopting and enshrining discriminatory policies. Again, no executive order ended up getting signed, and like the black sites memo, this policy prescription ended up vanishing in the ether of the news cycle.

The AP’s National Guard story is shaping up to be the third such example, officially making this “trend piece-eligible” at the very least.

entire story at:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ap-national-guard-trump-media_us_58a76c45e4b045cd34c1970c
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: The new Media - make the news help your Democrat party
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »

I have never seen it as bad as this is with personal opinion and content to sensationalize.....both sides actually.

Itsfuckingcrazy!

I haven't seen a media this mobilized since they called us a generation of degenerates for protesting the Vietnam War.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 09:43:41 PM »

I have never seen it as bad as this is with personal opinion and content to sensationalize.....both sides actually.

Itsfuckingcrazy!

I haven't seen a media this mobilized since they called us a generation of degenerates for protesting the Vietnam War.

Monroe had lots of hippies in the day that I remember ... Ann Arbor was the central hub for student protest and unrest.

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »

Good post Professor! When you read fake stories such as that which you posted ask yourself which of these five points are missing: Ethical reporting, Truth, Accuracy, Independence, Fairness.

One of the most respected journalists of our history that some professors still use as required reading is that of Ernest Taylor Pyle, a Pulitzer Prize winner. Pyle was a walking talking example of  a good and ethical journalist and war time correspondent, his written reports were unprecedented. I read his biography and what an amazing turn around from real journalism then in comparison to what we see today. Pyle died right along-side members of 305th Infantry, 77th Regiment during the invasion of Okinawa Island deep in the Pacific.

Mr. Pyle was a true American with a true understanding of hardships and pain the young American warriors confronted and died instantly from bullet to the head. I believe his understanding of Geo-politics adherence to the five points of journalism would embarrass most politicians today and put most journalist’s to shame.   

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 10:40:34 PM »

I remember some protests from VN. Maybe most was in '66-67 when I was in Germany and didn't notice

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »

I was buddies with a guy a work that served a tour in Viet Nam and then came back and went to college on the GI Bill.  He's been retired for a few years now.  I miss him.  He had a great dry sense of humor.

He said when he got back it was in the peak of the student / hippie demonstrations, and with him still having friends in country he wasn't very sympathetic with what he considered to be spoiled brats out protesting, while what he thought was better people serving their country and paying the price back in the war.

He said he remembered going to his first class, an economics class, and the Professor decided to start ranting about the war for his first class.  After a few minutes of it he got up and asked the professor - and this was in a large auditorium setting - if he was going to start teaching the curriculum, or was he just going to keep on ranting and raving about something he clearly knew very little about.  The Prof indicated that he was going to continue the rant about soldiers being war criminals - so he left, figuring he didn't need to listen to it, there wasn't anything he was going the learn, and the Prof clearly didn't understand what the war was about anyway - and no - he didn't think it was for freedom, or spread democracy, or stop communism.  He thought it was about killing people, wounding people, and breaking things on a large scale, but you stuck with your friends and took care of each other as best you could, and followed orders from on high that you could that hopefully didn't put you in crazy risk of getting killed. 

He thought there were plenty of people in Viet Nam worth saving, that bought into the US involvement, and he didn't want to see them betrayed, which is what happened.  He helped to get a few families sponsored as the war was going down the tubes to help get some of the ARVN guys he fought with and their families out - so the relationships is clearly what he talked about.

He went back to the next class - and believe it or not got an A in the course.  Smart guy.

I don't know much personally about losing wars.  My generation is 3-0 on the battlefield anyway, with very little protests.  I've had friends do multiple tours, and a few classmates who are career military.  When I talk to them it is just business.  I guess Obama gave one of them away after the fact, and I'm sure Afghanistan will be given back at some point.  Probably it will be 1-2 by the time we are done.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 08:22:37 AM »

I remember some protests from VN. Maybe most was in '66-67 when I was in Germany and didn't notice

It was a rebellious time......most young boys entering that magical draft age were petrified at the thought of picking up a gun and fighting for our survival.  I've tipped my hat many times to those that served, and respect the hell out of them.

The Kent State incident in 1970 was my awakening.....I was a high school student, athletic, didn't make the best of grades because I was more interested in partying and doing as many cheerleaders as were willing.  I knew where my future was headed, and the thought of it just petrified me.  That was the beginning of my activism years.

I am digging back in my memory banks blue2, but in 66/67 the activist youth were more occupied with the Civil Rights movement.  The Peace and Love In demonstrations ran through 1969 ending shortly after Woodstock.  Kent State came along and when things started getting hateful, total lack of confidence in the government for listening to lies from Westmoreland (what a lying POS btw, led administrations into bad decisions with intentionally bad information....bastard should have been hung for treason or murder of thousands of innocent US boys).

Well hell, now I'm fired up and getting my hippie clothes out and rolling a doobie.  I didn't support the flag burning, but I sure as hell didn't support a government that was marching 17 and 18 year old kids into jungle combat as their gateway to adulthood. 

I still maintain that Vietnam was the very thing Ike Eisenhower warned the people about when he left office.  "Beware of the Industrial Military Complex."

OK.....got off track of the subject matter.  The media back then was mixed between the major news networks.  A few would show the long haired hippie types toking on joints and protesting and basically portraying the movement as one led by degenerates.  One of them was more on the liberal side and delved into the fear aspect many of us were feeling.  I don't remember which one/s took what positions but it helped create a generational divide in the country.

Remember the political players at the time too......we had Kennedy who was more interested in gettingass, Johnson who was stupid and consumed more with the Civil Rights movement, then Nixon who stepped up the conflict under advisement from Westmoreland to end the war quick (a bad decision costing thousands of innocent lives).  My point.....D and R alike were part of the failed government policy.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »

I was young then but recall the most from the media portrayal of the war - the fact that it was the first time in history that video clips were broadcast showing the realities of war...

Some people apparently didn't think war was violent, kill/be killed, organization and support and firepower...

First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 09:32:00 AM »

Remember the political players at the time too......we had Kennedy who was more interested in gettingass, Johnson who was stupid and consumed more with the Civil Rights movement, then Nixon who stepped up the conflict under advisement from Westmoreland to end the war quick (a bad decision costing thousands of innocent lives).  My point.....D and R alike were part of the failed government policy.

Uhhhhhhh - Westmoreland was long gone by the time Nixon took over.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:38:35 AM »

From Wiki:

Westmoreland served as Chief of Staff of the United States Army from 1968 to 1972.

In January 1964, he became deputy commander of Military Assistance Command, Vietnam (MACV). Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara told President Lyndon B. Johnson in April that Westmoreland was "the best we have, without question".[16] As the head of the MACV, he was known for highly publicized, positive assessments of U.S. military prospects in Vietnam. However, as time went on, the strengthening of communist combat forces in the South led to regular requests for increases in U.S. troop strength, from 16,000 when he arrived to its peak of 535,000 in 1968 when he was promoted to Army chief of staff.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:55:27 AM »

Right.

He was out of Viet Nam in 68, and Abrams took over MACV, and he changed things up.

The Tet Offensive moved him back to Washington Fuzz.  It just so happened he got a "promotion" out of it, but I don't know many military guys who would want that "promotion" under that circumstance.

Are you contending that he was pulling the strings from the Pentagon to do a draw down - which was very different than what he was doing at MACV?  You think he told Abrams to do things differently than he was doing them?  From what I read Westmoreland's influence went down after 68.  I know he was the devil to your crowd, but TET did him in.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 10:01:03 AM »

It's hard if not impossible to know what collaboration occured MN, my guess is that it wasn't in emails or rooms with video tape.

Westmoreland lured us deeper into the war with the build up based on providing bad information regarding the enemy troop strength.

You know me.....and are like you when it comes down to looking and finding what root causes are.  When I look at a picture of the man, I see Root Cause tattooed across his forehead.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 10:26:45 AM »

He played Johnson for sure.

I would fault Westmoreland for his early tactics, and for not holding his allies more accountable, but then with the Government(s) in Saigon it looked like a losing hand to me.  Hard to say he didn't need the troops - given the TET offensive, which was in fact the type of war he had been looking for all along - and he was ready to defeat it.  Bad imagery though, and it did him in.

To tell you the truth where the pooch was screwed was post WW2 where we supported our French "Allies" in taking over the colonies once again, instead of building up relationships with the local leaders.  We kept compounding that error for how many years?

That wasn't Westmoreland's fault, and as far as him asking for more and more troops - I can't blame him.  Who doesn't want the most resources they can get?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2017, 12:18:34 PM »

I agree, but those are human life sources.....17 and 18 year old boys.  There comes a point of what one can life with I suppose....sacrifice of life of children, or boast levels of resources.

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »

I was young then but recall the most from the media portrayal of the war - the fact that it was the first time in history that video clips were broadcast showing the realities of war...

Some people apparently didn't think war was violent, kill/be killed, organization and support and firepower...

I was too young for the Vietnam war but I read the Monroe Evening News and it daily headlines with body count that I recall most. I do remember hearing the Huntley Brinkley evening news reporting on the Kent State campus shootings though and I think, the Beach Boys wrote song called, Student Protest Song, about it too.   
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up