MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > The Republican roll out of Government Health Care

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Republican roll out of Government Health Care  (Read 835 times)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
The Republican roll out of Government Health Care
« on: March 07, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »

Thought this deserved a topic of its own.  I know it is too much to ask that debate be constructive here, but hope this topic is discussed rationally from a Pro and Con perspective while keeping in mind that 100% satisfaction from both D and R, and R and L is not possible.  Approach it as what is good for the American people as a whole.  I like what I see so far, but much more detail needs to be hammered out in the working committees. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-republicans-reveal-obamacare-replacement-bill-013510100.html

WASHINGTON — House Republicans released their replacement for the Affordable Care Act on Monday night, backing off some ideas that caused controversy in their caucus, such as taxing high-dollar health benefits that employees obtain through their employers.

The bill, which Republicans will continue to revise in committee, repeals Obamacare’s individual mandate. Instead, people who do not make sure they are covered for two months or more in the year before they want to buy health insurance will pay 30 percent higher premiums for a year. This penalty is intended to encourage people to maintain insurance coverage without the mandate. The bill also doles out age-based tax credits to people making less than $75,000, to help them purchase insurance, instead of the income-based subsidies allocated under Obamacare.

The bill retains two popular features of Obamacare: one requiring insurance companies to insure people with pre-existing conditions, and another allowing young adults to remain on their parents’ insurance plans until they are 26 years old.

But the bill repeals most of the taxes imposed under Obamacare, including one on medical devices and another on indoor tanning services, which raises the question of how the bill will be paid for. The bill also avoids the “Cadillac tax” on premium employer health plans, after conservatives complained about any bill that creates new taxes.

Republicans compromised on the hot-button issue in the bill: Medicaid expansion. The 31 states that expanded Medicaid access under Obamacare will be allowed to continue to enroll new people until 2020. They will then be required to stop offering expanding Medicaid, with the hope that some people will leave the program and that it will shrink. States that did not expand Medicaid will receive $2 billion.

The bill faces a potentially rocky road ahead, with conservatives in the caucus sure to raise questions about how the bill will be paid for, and Democrats protesting that some Americans will lose coverage.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
Re: The Republican roll out of Government Health Care
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 05:31:53 PM »

I still don't see how you can require an insurer to cover a pre-existing condition.....

I can see creating a "high risk" pool or something to help those individuals get coverage - but how can you ask a company to take on a large risk obligation when they wont cover their expenses - ever?

Couple that with no individual mandate - that I totally agree with, and this just seems like more of a disaster then the Democrats disaster.

The Republicans are too big of pussies to say what need to be said.  There is no free lunch - Betsy Devos is RIGHT about that!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 05:51:37 PM »

Would a list of well defined preexisting conditions be in order?   I can see the cost ramifications and how that could drive up the coverage costs, but damn near everybody in this country nowadays has some sort of preexisting condition.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 06:06:07 PM »

Perhaps Fuzz that would help.

"Routine" preexisting conditions (diabetes, blood pressure, etc) could be covered if they could be "managed," but if you had a "catastrophic" issue (cancer, etc) - then sorry - you need to buy insurance BEFORE those things happened.

How about a "penalty" if you have a "covered" preexisting condition - and you didn't maintain coverage within x amount of time before that policy? 

I can see the need for some of the things like diabetes and things like that to not be on the pre-existing list - but you can't force a private company to cover ALL things for everyone who weren't previously covered - not without the costs spiraling out of control for the pool.

Hey - isn't that kind of what is happening with Obama-care?

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 06:12:32 PM »

Give Illegals my tax dollars so they can spit on me, victimize my neighbors, take my jobs, raise my taxes, tell me this is their land, and vote against my best interest in my own homeland .... and I'm suppose to clap like seals with joy?

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 06:57:03 PM »

Perhaps Fuzz that would help.

"Routine" preexisting conditions (diabetes, blood pressure, etc) could be covered if they could be "managed," but if you had a "catastrophic" issue (cancer, etc) - then sorry - you need to buy insurance BEFORE those things happened.

How about a "penalty" if you have a "covered" preexisting condition - and you didn't maintain coverage within x amount of time before that policy? 

I can see the need for some of the things like diabetes and things like that to not be on the pre-existing list - but you can't force a private company to cover ALL things for everyone who weren't previously covered - not without the costs spiraling out of control for the pool.

Hey - isn't that kind of what is happening with Obama-care?

I agree, so it is the conditions that should be negotiated and the delta difference in premiums between the two?  There has to be a way to make this work, and it has to be accepted that some folks are going to be on the negative impact on the issue.

Give Illegals my tax dollars so they can spit on me, victimize my neighbors, take my jobs, raise my taxes, tell me this is their land, and vote against my best interest in my own homeland .... and I'm suppose to clap like seals with joy?

Perhaps a qualification clause needs to be included for any direct government tax dollars to be involved?

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 07:25:41 PM »

How about just turning health care back over to the States and getting the Feds out of it?

Wouldn't that work?
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 07:31:10 PM »

Honestly, I really don't know.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 07:54:36 PM »

I guess now we know what the Republicans meant by "Repeal and Replacement."

The Replacement is the same stupid thing.

You wanted voted into office so you could give us Obamacare?

This is what we wanted?

This just proves there is no difference between Republicans and Democrats.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 08:56:11 PM »

Why should health care insurance operate any differently than automobile or homeowners ins.  You don't have to insure your home unless you are financing it.  You don't have to insure your vehicle unless you are financing it.  Other than you must carry insurance to cover someone you may cause to be damaged in an accident. Of course we know Michigan is the only state that charged us. Over $100 a vehicle for catastrophe coverage.
Does the federal government have any control over home or auto or long term care? 

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 06:30:30 AM »

I find humor in that the Republicans are so anxious to get rid of a signature bill by Obama that even some Republicans are referring to the new roll out as Obama Lite.  LMAO, what a collective group of tools.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 08:37:23 AM »

I find humor in that the Republicans are so anxious to get rid of a signature bill by Obama that even some Republicans are referring to the new roll out as Obama Lite.  LMAO, what a collective group of tools.

Looks like Obama Heavy to me.

I thought Repeal meant Repeal.

I knew that "Replace" line was trouble.

I hope this thing fails miserably.

What I don't get - why are the Democrats against this?  They should LOVE it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 10:17:23 AM »

I'm wondering how big a difference there really is in the plans being offered from one group headed by Ryan and what Rand Paul is promoting. 
I don't trust Ryan..

Tim Heiss

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 12:10:22 PM »

The official name of the plan, which has already passed in the house and will unlikely pass in the Senate due to it requiring 60 votes, is called "The World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017".

And no that's not a joke, although it should be.
When the debate is lost slander becomes the tool of the loser.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up