MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 02:59:38 PM 
Started by Collegekid - Last post by BigRedDog
Yo La Tengo

Wow, Fritz, you went searching in the 'way back machine' to find this one!

We used to have a lot of fun here didn't we?

on: Today at 02:57:29 PM 
Started by Blondie - Last post by BigRedDog
Wow thank you. Some of the time he went by Jerry E. Yensch. I believe that is what was on his headstone. I have a picture I took of all the stones on my one trip trip Monroe. His father's middle name was Edward so it's possible that was his also. I have his obit so I can use that as information. Not that those are correct. Because it says both Gerald E. and Gerald W of 2371 Yargerville Rd.

I may just make another trip to Monroe and spend a day looking for records. You have been a tremendous help and I can't thank you enough.

I believe Kelly would be Scott's wife and Scott was Jerry's son. Scott maybe living in Britton and just got married again. Then again it could be a different Scott.

Thanks again for going above and beyond what I expected. I will pay it forward and if you need anything in Adrian let me know.

You definitely got lucky on posting your question in the right place.  I don't mind helping at all.  I've done a lot of genealogy research and most of it has been across the south.  Sometimes I get way more than I ever expected and sometimes I never get a reply of any type. 

I got to wondering about Kelly being a daughter.  I just knew my friend knew her and I remembered her from being around Katherine but never though about her being a daughter in law.  I looked up Katherine's obituary which I didn't find at first as in the obit her name is spelled Cathern.  The spelling obviously is Katherine at the register of deeds and yet Cathern in her obit.  I've run into a similar scenario with my own maternal grandmother although the difference is from Katherine to Catherine. 

Anyway, Cathern's obit lists only three sons:

https://merklefh.com/tribute/details/56/Cathern-Yensch/obituary.html

If you do travel to Monroe to the clerk's or register's office either use a gps or take some extra time.  There are a couple of one way streets involved in going to either office and it can be a bit intimidating.  The register's office has free parking right at the front door although there are only a few spots.  The clerk's office is inside the courthouse and you do have to go through a metal detector and the parking is either a bit of a walk or feed the meter so bring quarters for there.

If you go to the register's office just take along the number that is ahead of the info for his death certificate I gave you and they can pull it right up without even a quick search.

Please stop back by some day and let us know if you found everything you were looking for.

Unfortunately sometimes when I found the 'answer' to some of my questions it turns up creating even more questions. 

Hope all goes well for you.

on: Today at 01:27:07 PM 
Started by Collegekid - Last post by FritzTheKat
Yo La Tengo

on: Today at 01:08:34 PM 
Started by Blondie - Last post by Blondie
Wow thank you. Some of the time he went by Jerry E. Yensch. I believe that is what was on his headstone. I have a picture I took of all the stones on my one trip trip Monroe. His father's middle name was Edward so it's possible that was his also. I have his obit so I can use that as information. Not that those are correct. Because it says both Gerald E. and Gerald W of 2371 Yargerville Rd.

I may just make another trip to Monroe and spend a day looking for records. You have been a tremendous help and I can't thank you enough.

I believe Kelly would be Scott's wife and Scott was Jerry's son. Scott maybe living in Britton and just got married again. Then again it could be a different Scott.

Thanks again for going above and beyond what I expected. I will pay it forward and if you need anything in Adrian let me know.

on: Today at 11:28:54 AM 
Blondie, here's a number to start with to call both the county clerk and the register of deeds.  It's the same person but there are two different offices and they're a block apart. 

Keep in mind that you most likely do not need a certified copy of the death certificate which is what the $35 is for.  That is typically only needed for insurance or similar legal transactions.  The not certified one will just be a photo copy of the registered one but won't have the embossed seal on it.  It will have the identical info.

https://www.co.monroe.mi.us/officials_and_departments/officials/county_clerk/index.php

You can ask when you call the register of deeds but you may be able to make arrangements to just download the document from their website or they can snail mail it to you. 

I looked around and never did find any reference to a Gerald E. although there are several recent references to a Gerald B and also a Gerald Brian Scott so make sure you're very specific about middle names and dates when you make any further inquiries.

The death certificate at the county clerk should be dated within not too long after the date he actually died.  In cases like this where there may have been some questions or further investigation it could be several weeks later.

The one at the register of deeds was not recorded until 1989 which is not uncommon.  They're only needed at that point to clear up the title in the case of a sale or a new mortgage or any number of other issues.  It shows whoever is involved why Gerald won't be there to sign the appropriate paperwork. 

I did 'phone a friend' who happened to know Kelly and I was informed she was last known to be over in the Dundee area. 

Good luck with your search... 

not much else I can help you with.

on: Today at 10:56:27 AM 
This may be a stumbling point.  I found a death certificate for Gerald William Yensch but not a Gerald E.

Land Records Search Document Detail

0109700192 DEATH CERTIFICATE 01-24-1989 1:59 PM $0.00 1 page

Parties
YENSCH GERALD WILLIAM GRANTOR

Associated Documents
0109900580 WD 01099 00580

Here's an earlier discharge of mortgage which ties Gerald William as being the husband of Katherine L. Yensch and that is specifically who I remember living in the home for a few years after Gerald's death. 

It seems like maybe there was one daughter that lived there too but I really don't remember for sure on that one. 

0092300758 DISCHARGE MORTGAGE 02-27-1985 2:29 PM $0.00 0 pages

Parties
YENSCH, GERALD W GRANTOR
YENSCH, KATHERINE L GRANTOR
PEOPLES SAVINGS BANK GRANTEE

Associated Documents
0079600107 IC

on: Today at 10:20:13 AM 
Started by eriemermaid - Last post by blue2
Article in MEN today
http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180820/telegraph-road-to-close-in-erie-starting-in-september

on: Today at 09:07:59 AM 
Don't spend $35 yet.  I'm at the doctor and on my phone.  I'll check the R of D website when I get home.  It will cost a lot less from them.

on: Today at 08:51:35 AM 
Started by Blondie - Last post by Blondie
Thank you. I was wondering if that was the case. A death certificate is 35 dollars and I was hoping to get more info before I sent that money. He was a distant cousin and I know so little about the family not even gossip because I live in Adrian.

I believe two Yenschs owned a motorcycle shop in the Monroe area and that why I commented on the Iron Coffins. 

It means the world to me to connect with someone who knew what happened even if it isn't 100% factual. Thank you again.

on: Today at 07:34:16 AM 
I hope this is allowed. I'm looking for information on a 1987 shooting in LaSalle, Mi. Hopefully this is close enough to Monroe to be alright. The victim was Gerald E Yensch and he was shot and killed inside his home. That is all the info I can find. After reading the Iron Coffin thread I was half afraid to ask questions. Does anyone remember that incident and can give me more info without endangering them or me?  :-\

I remember the incident as we live within a mile of the home. 

I believe it was officially ruled a suicide but I've never seen the records to say for sure.  I believe you can get a copy of the death certificate from the county clerk.  It may or may not be on record at the register of deeds.  Depends on how the home was titled when he died. 

I also recall that many of the neighbors questioned the suicide ruling and many felt it was possibly a homicide and apparently time has not quieted that feeling.  Sorry, I really don't have any facts to convey other than those of what I 'heard' at the time. 

I've been in the home a few times since and it was always a bit of a strange feeling that I don't usually get in a home.  But, I 'knew' the background before I went inside so that may be the only difference. 

I wish you the best and hopefully someone else will see your outreach and respond with more and more factual info.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10