MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Health > Shane Group v. BCBSM Settlement

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shane Group v. BCBSM Settlement  (Read 2117 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Shane Group v. BCBSM Settlement
« on: September 02, 2014, 12:00:05 PM »

We got our postcard one day last week letting us know we had to 'sign up' online if we wanted to be included in the 'Group'!

The last one of those cards I got was about a lawnmower we'd bought and the engine didn't put out as much horsepower as had been originally declared.  I got online and filled it out and maybe a year later we got a check for $12!

I really haven't had time to figure out what all of this is really about other than somehow we supposed were overcharged for something in our healthcare.  If anyone more knowledgeable can put into layman's terms vs. legalese I would appreciate hearing your opinion.

Here's the website we were referred to on the postcard:

https://www.michiganhospitalpaymentslitigation.com/
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Shane Group v. BCBSM Settlement
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:09:34 PM »

Those "settlements" are all about making the Attorney's  - RICH...   

If they know who you are via post card - they should be able to just send you the $$ you were overcharged...  but that makes too much sense.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »

Those "settlements" are all about making the Attorney's  - RICH...   

If they know who you are via post card - they should be able to just send you the $$ you were overcharged...  but that makes too much sense.

I understand the part of them getting the best part of the deal...

and I'm like you on the part since they already knew where to find me then just send me the money!!!

If this is going to be another $10 or $12 then it's hardly worth the time to fill out the app...

does it vary depending on how many times you were hospitalized?

We've never had anything major done in a Michigan hospital...

I did have  stent put in during that time but that was at St. V's Cardiac Center in Toledo and they don't seem to be a part of the settlement.  Other than that neither of us have had anything much done during the timeframe they're referring to.

One big question...

if we don't 'claim' our 'share' then does it go to the sharks...  I mean attorneys...   or does it go to the other people that do file a claim or does the hospital then not have to pay out as much?

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »

I'll never know - as I just figured it was a scam...   

Postcard - come on now - what kind of legal notice comes on a post card?

Maybe if I call BCBS they will just give me a few $$'s   ;D
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 11:30:33 PM »

We got our postcard one day last week letting us know we had to 'sign up' online if we wanted to be included in the 'Group'!

The last one of those cards I got was about a lawnmower we'd bought and the engine didn't put out as much horsepower as had been originally declared.  I got online and filled it out and maybe a year later we got a check for $12!

I really haven't had time to figure out what all of this is really about other than somehow we supposed were overcharged for something in our healthcare.  If anyone more knowledgeable can put into layman's terms vs. legalese I would appreciate hearing your opinion.

Here's the website we were referred to on the postcard:

https://www.michiganhospitalpaymentslitigation.com/
We received that notice as well.
I'll have to check it out to see if they'll make us jump through hoops to participate.
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:53:03 AM »

We received that notice as well.
I'll have to check it out to see if they'll make us jump through hoops to participate.

I found the first 'hoop' to jump through.  They want you to list all the 'qualified' (along with dates) visits you made to the hospital without explaining what a 'qualified' visit is...

if it's a major outpatient visit, no problem. we have our insurance info to give us dates.

But if it's just blood work at one of their outreach labs (of which we've both had dozens of tests) then it's a lot more difficult to figure out. 

This is kind of what I originally posted about.  If we all have to work for several hours to sort out and send in the info then they end up sending us a check for $35 then it isn't even worth it.  If it's going to be $350 then maybe and if it was $3500 then a definite 'go for it' situation. 

Even then we've only paid our 'deductible' so still don't have a major 'out of pocket' expense!

I'm thinking more and more I'll probably just buy a couple of extra lottery tickets and call it good ;) ;) ;)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 09:34:46 AM »

I found the first 'hoop' to jump through.  They want you to list all the 'qualified' (along with dates) visits you made to the hospital without explaining what a 'qualified' visit is...

if it's a major outpatient visit, no problem. we have our insurance info to give us dates.

But if it's just blood work at one of their outreach labs (of which we've both had dozens of tests) then it's a lot more difficult to figure out. 

This is kind of what I originally posted about.  If we all have to work for several hours to sort out and send in the info then they end up sending us a check for $35 then it isn't even worth it.  If it's going to be $350 then maybe and if it was $3500 then a definite 'go for it' situation. 

Even then we've only paid our 'deductible' so still don't have a major 'out of pocket' expense!

I'm thinking more and more I'll probably just buy a couple of extra lottery tickets and call it good ;) ;) ;)
Agreed -
There's rarely been a class action lawsuit that:
1. didn't have you jump through hoops for paperwork even though they had no problem Identify you as a participant
2. didn't make millions for a law firm

the only exception I'm aware of it with Amazon - where I got about 2 dollars credit for a few kindle book purchases...
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »

I got the postcard and filled out the questiaire for the lawnmower thing and got nothing.  We we all got something......  They can't state the horsepower on a lawnmower engine anymore, just the displacement and torque.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

ctawn

• New Talker
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2018, 01:02:50 PM »

This postcard is still coming in 2018!  Anyone have an update?  I'm also trying to determine if it's legit.  Oddly this seems to be the only website forum discussing it, so doesn't seem promising. 

Here are some useful links for the record:

https://www.cohenmilstein.com/case-study/shane-group-inc-v-blue-cross-blue-shield-michigan

https://www.zimmreed.com/case/blue-cross-blue-shield/

Cohen Milstein is the Plantiff.  I sent them a query through their contact form. If I get a response will try to post back here.

Zimmreed: who knows that their connection is.  Google reviews say they're ambulance chasers.

also, if you don't have documentation of payments, the claims form notice says:

The default amount is $50 per outpatient hospital visit and $414 per inpatient hospital visit. These are the payment amounts that you will be credited with in calculating your pro rata share of the Settlement money. These are not the amounts you will receive from the Settlement. The amount you receive, if your claim is valid, will be substantially less.

no idea how they determine how MANY visits you made, or how SUBSTANTIALLY LESS.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 01:08:05 PM by ctawn »

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 04:23:32 PM »

I got 3 of them. Tossed them all.
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 10:25:14 PM »

Ours went to Carlton Farms...landfill.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: [1]   Go Up