MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Canadian Money

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canadian Money  (Read 2298 times)

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
Canadian Money
« on: June 18, 2007, 04:35:44 PM »

How often going through your change you find that unwanted Canadian coin? and when we try to spend them at places, the cashier may notice it and tell you “they don’t accept Canadian money”, even though we may have received the coins for change from the very store on a previous visit, or trying to get something from a vending machine and only to discover, you would have enough money, if only that one coin wasn’t Canadian.
Why do we continue to circulate the Canadian coins? I have gathered quite a few at one time and took them to the bank to trade them in and was told at the bank. “We do not accept Canadian coins, you have to go to Detroit and exchange them.” To be honest, it wouldn’t do much good to do that unless I had a couple hundred dollars in change to even consider taking the trip. I am not suggesting a boycott on Canadian coins, even though that is an idea, or at least the vending machine companies here in the U.S. should start accepting Canadian coins. By the way, Do Canadian vending machines accept American money? Grant it, the difference may only be a couple of cents or more, but cents do add up. Especially if you get a Canadian quarter in change and it is only worth 15 or 20 cents. More or less. Which I call an “Economic Shortchange” Any suggestions on how to stop Canadian coins from being circulated? or do we just continue to slip them to the next place of business or put them in donation collection boxes? And just continue to deal with the inconvenience? Any thoughts or ideas?
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

Mike Ingels

• Hero Talker
    • Expatriate Monroe
Re: Canadian Money
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 05:58:28 PM »

The Canadian dollar is approaching parity in value with the U.S. dollar.  And some experts believe it will soon be worth more.  So, I wonder if more businesses will be willing to accept the money when the tables are turned in terms of valuation.
The world is basically good.

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 06:39:22 PM »

i have never had a problem in my life with canadian coins anywhere in the detroit area!
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

The_Patriot

• Active Talker
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 09:21:53 AM »

Yes, it would be nice if vending machines accepted Canadian money, but I always keep some on hand for two occasions. One, I like to use it as change for the drive thu. Second, and my favorite way to get rid of Canadian change, I keep a pocket full just in case I'm aproached by someone asking for change. Plus you get the satisfaction of helping out the less fortunate.  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up