MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Shame On MCCC

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shame On MCCC  (Read 1934 times)

FormerMonroeMan

• New Talker
Shame On MCCC
« on: June 21, 2007, 07:19:30 PM »

I have one question for Dr. Nixon of MCCC: What is wrong with you? I am a former student of MCCC and I think the decision based on Dr. Nixon for the commencment ceremony is absurd. The paper stated that the music at commencment was TOO religious! First of all, ALL music, has it's true roots in Christianity. Does that mean you should not have any music AT ALL during the commencement ceremony? In college or any school of education it is taught that you can't understand or appreciate something, unless you can understand it's history. Tyner quoted that his program taught the history of Chorale Music. Shame on your educational institution for teaching the correct thing. How dare they?
My statement to Dr. Nixon is if you are so terrified of being sued, get out of your job and live under a rock. We live in a world of crazy sue happy citizens! If you are only considering the one or two people that took up a complaint about the music, why not do more statisitical research and interview the other couple hundred people that resided at the ceremony! Would your mind change if all of those citizens (well paying citizens for your educational instituion) came up and threatened to sue if you did not play it? I seriously doubt it. We live in a nation that is "Under God". Whether it is written on a dollar bill, said by OUR OWN PRESIDENT, or commented by every law "abiding" politician, or not, the fact is we are under God. I would be curious to find out if you are actually a church going person. If you are, you need to do some background information on a student of a educational institution whose name was Cassie Bernall and you can find out what a true Christian is and how to stand up for yourself. Finally, Dr. Nixon agreed on a song from an approved "sacred music list." My first question is, what qualifies for a song to be put on a sacred music list? Could it be the songs that people have not threatened to sue over yet? In that case, call it the scared music list. The song that was approved was Battle Hymn of the Republic! Maybe Dr. Nixon and the attorney closed their eyes when picking the song, but they should have paid attention to the lyrics. In the first line it reads:
"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the Lord"
I'm not going to break it down for you because I'm sure they are both well educated individuals, BUT when the song talks about LORD it is NOT talking about the lords of England! It is talking about LORD JESUS CHRIST! Forgive me if I'm not as knowledgeable as those two citizens, but how is this song, which talks about religion, any different than a song that's not approved by the "approved sacred songs list?"

boat_girl

• New Talker
Re: Shame On MCCC
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:12:05 AM »

I guess I just don't understand why people get so riled up and offended by a SONG.  Come on people, it's just a song...5 minutes out of your life.  I personally don't get offended or uncomfortable when I hear a song that's from a religion different than my own. 

It blows my mind that in the middle of a wonderful celebration for young people who have chosen the correct path to travel and accomplished their goal of graduation, someone had to get their panties all in a bunch over a SONG.  COME ON!!!!!

Farmer.Ted

• Hero Talker
  • I will try to be good. For a minute!
Re: Shame On MCCC
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:27:47 AM »

I am not even what I consider religious but I tell you this.  My kids will not under any circumstances ever attend MCC just because of this.  I will send em to WC3 before MCC.  What an embarassment, that administration should be ashamed of what they have done.  All because of a song.. good grief!
Pages: [1]   Go Up