MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > WWE's murder-suicide

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WWE's murder-suicide  (Read 3820 times)

Michelle

• Global Moderator
  • Active Talker
WWE's murder-suicide
« on: June 26, 2007, 09:32:35 AM »

Anyone have any thoughts on pro wrestler Chris Benoit? In case you haven’t heard, he was found dead in his home along with his wife and 7-year-old son. They’re calling it a murder-suicide and are not looking for suspects. In other words, they believe Benoit committed the crime.
WWE canceled its show last night, and instead, ran a three-hour tribute show in honor of the late Benoit.
I know he was a great wrestler, but I find it odd that they honored a guy who just killed his wife and son, then himself. What do you think?

equaled

• New Talker
Re: WWE's murder-suicide
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:59:18 AM »

Yes I heard of this Tragedy, But Did you ever think This is all speculation? Maybee the wife Killed him then The Son and then Herself? Just a thought

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:53:50 AM »

Well, to begin with, according to recent news reports. The WWE, as well as the general public did not know of the deaths until later in the evening. The circumstances in the deaths are still being investigated.
Yes, the WWE cancelled their program event and paid tribute honoring him, his life, and his 22-year career in the wrestling business. Chris Benoit was a great wrestling performer that will be missed.

You stated “but I find it odd that they honored a guy who just killed his wife and son, then himself". I understand that you find it odd that they honored a guy who just killed his wife and son, then himself however, by your statement, you are already saying that he did it. I believe a person has to keep an open mind and wait until the autopsy reports come in and investigators announce their findings because wives can and do commit murder-suicides.

You find it odd, but then, don’t we live in a place where a man lived, and is honored for killing innocent Native Americans for the sake of at the time was called” building this country”. If he did it today, he would be considered a terrorist. Then again, he was in the military so he would have charges brought against him by the government.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

sschmitt

• New Talker
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 11:04:49 AM »

I think it's pretty safe to say that he did it. The police sound confident that that is the way things went down since the wife and son were killed on Saturday and the wrestler died on Monday. I guess that kinda shoots a hole in the "maybe the wife did it" theory.

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 01:53:41 PM »

Well, the report is in and it appears that Chris Benoit did it. here is a link of the current findings.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070626/ap_on_re_us/wrestler_dead;_ylt=AtJF_wbt0TiYJMh672UbWhDMWM0F

Still, it is a sad situation when something like this happens.

Michelle

• Global Moderator
  • Active Talker
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:10:03 PM »

Police are holding a press conference at 3 p.m. today about Benoit. It sounds like it will be aired on MSNBC and CNN, and I'm sure others. Check it out if you get a chance.

Simmie

• Active Talker
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 02:43:51 PM »

I don't know anything about this man because I am not a wrestling fan.

Do you think maybe he could have been on steroids?  They make a person do crazy things.

Or maybe he sustained an unrecognized head injury while wrestling?

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 07:30:20 PM »

mayo...gen custer is not honored for his killing of indians but of his roll in the civil war...and besides as you more or less stated...he was following orders and im sure if he was alive today...he would be far from one of those slime ball gutless terrorists! so drop it!
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 07:42:24 PM »

Michele:
You want to know what I think?  I think the MSM lives for this stuff and can't wait to
breathlessly analyse from every angle.  Further, the extreme focus on stories like this,
or the latest antics of Paris Hilton etc., degrade our society by the constant and
continual dumping of garbage into our brains, and more importantly, our kids brains.   
John Kopke

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 09:00:35 PM »

Nosh, I did not mean to offend you or anyone for that matter. It is just that some see him as you pretty much stated “honored of his roll in the civil war”. While others may or don’t see him that way.  I should have written it as viewed from both sides.
As far as the terrorist remark, I should have written it as “some may have seen him as a terrorist when this county was being formed“. I personally know some Native Americans and some feel that he, as well as the government at the time would be considered terrorists. Then again, I shouldn’t have even mentioned it.
I guess I should do from a recent college course and do a pre-write, re-write and review before posting instead of replying directly on the forum.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 09:29:13 PM »

Mayo and the Nosh:
How on earth did Custer get in this topic.  What did I miss. Were your entries accidentally put
in the wrong topic?
John Kopke

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 09:35:54 PM »

No, I just stated something the wrong way. I made a mistake. I'll try to be a little more careful BEFORE I make a post. Sorry.

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 10:12:15 PM »

Michelle,

First of all, I would like to apologize to you and the readers of this forum.
It appears That I made a statement  in my first reply was not to popular with some readers and I shouldn’t have made the reference like I did in my first reply.  Again I apologize to you and the forum community.
Now I would like to reply to answer your question.

Being someone who enjoys wrestling and in the past has had some personal involvement with wrestling back in the 70’s it got me thinking about something.
With the recent events in the news concerning Chris Benoit and his family. In the world of professional wrestling or as sometimes referred to as sports entertainment.
Why is it that the most events that are reported in the news are negative towards wrestling? The shortfalls for example: In 1999, Owen Hart who fell to his death in a stunt that went wrong. In 2001 when the World Wildlife Fund won its lawsuit over the then called, World Wrestling Federation in the use of the WWF letters. WWE had to Fight Steroid Charges in 1994 and now the Chris Benoit story. There has been other instance however to numerous to list. The only story recently that appeared in the news was for Wrestlemania 23, held in Detroit Michigan and  a main event wth Vince McMahon’s wrestler and Donald Trump’s wrestler and the winner gets to shave the losers head bald.
Sports entertainment… yes, that is described in wrestling however, I see entertainment in all sports, the good and the bad are reported with sports that are more traditional. However, with wrestling, it is more on the bad or whimsical side that is reported.
Seems like you never anything in news reporting’s or on broadcasting networks about the good side of the wrestlers. For example, a wrestler by the name Mick Foley is an accredited author with several books; some are children’s books and recently became involved in the Make-A-Wish Foundation. John Cena helps his brother who campaigns for drunk driving awareness.
Since the war in Iraq started, the World Wrestling Entertainment started doing shows over there to bring “a little bit of home” to those who that are serving there.
I ‘m not suggesting to start a new column to report wrestling events, and happenings  but it would be different and refreshing to see some good things reported from wrestling every once and a while instead of the negative aspects.

Rick Rountree

• Hero Talker
  • Go Ugly Early!
    • Rick Rountree's Website
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 05:39:19 AM »

I can't believe they would do that knowing he murdered his family.  Perhaps they jumped the gun in putting it out there?

MomEm

There's an old adage: "There's no such thing as bad publicity." 

The WWE knew exactly what they were doing.  They knew it was in bad taste.  They knew it was going to be controversial...and they absolutely knew people would watch it, talk about it, debate it, et al.  The whole intent was simply to attract some new viewers to their carnivalistic (is that a real word??) side shows.

Case in point--this thread.

--Rick Rountree
...my view of the world is distorted by reality...

http://www.bikerornot.com/kickstand
http://www.facebook.com/rgrountree

the nosh

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 06:25:57 AM »

mayo...no problem! its just that i prefer mustard!! :)
my heart is ruled by venus...but my head by mars.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up