MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > Any details on German POW camps in the area?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Any details on German POW camps in the area?  (Read 6908 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: Any details on German POW camps in the area?
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2014, 11:31:36 AM »

Don't know if i could have taken a sub...I was on a troop ship though going to Germany.  10 days on the Atlantic was enough for me.

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:44 AM »

Arpydave - I think the submarine crews need to be taken care of.... That would the last place you would to find oneself in the middle of personality issue with someone or have a malcontent onboard causing a disturbance.  By the way how crew members on the submarines?

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2014, 11:49:38 AM »

I've often wondered if the general crew members on a submarine know where they are, been or going?  Or is that for a 'select few' to know?

I have heard many times about the terrific food on a sub though...

do you grill with propane or charcoal down there ;D ;D ;D

And if it was propane, did you smell a foul odor?   ;D

Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2014, 12:15:39 PM »

Don't know if i could have taken a sub...I was on a troop ship though going to Germany.  10 days on the Atlantic was enough for me.

I could have handled the slow ride 'above water' but I have no desire to be underwater more than a few minutes at a stretch!

We flew over and back on one of those stretched DC8s (I think that's what they were anyway).  Went from Philly to Gander Bay, Newfoundland to refuel and then one long haul across to Ireland.  Then just a short haul on to Frankfurt before a nice train ride along the Main River to Wurzburg and then on to Kitzingen. 

Several years later a troop transport crashed at Gander Bay.  Some reports said the tail hit the ground as it was taking off.  Others said it exploded...  not sure they ever did figure it all out for sure...  or if they ever do anyway :-\ :-\ :-\
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 12:39:03 PM »

Returned from Germany on one of those planes and did stop in Gander Bay for fuel.  Middle of Dec at night.  It looked pretty cold out there.

Arrived in Germany in Bremerhaven and took train for an all night ride to K-town.  It sure would have been nice to do that during the day so we could have seen some of the country.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »

I have known some submariners - and I'm sure Arpydave can attest from his first hand knowledge... 

They actually change their "Day" away from a 24 hour cycle -
and yes you have to be able to take close quarters and be part of a team

I went to school with a person who is now an Admiral, and he came from subs and hated to leave that command to go to the Pentagon -   but in the Military ranks it's better to move up than to move on...  it was interesting to read his name on the wall of "leaders" when I was visiting Annapolis
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »

Returned from Germany on one of those planes and did stop in Gander Bay for fuel.  Middle of Dec at night.  It looked pretty cold out there.

Arrived in Germany in Bremerhaven and took train for an all night ride to K-town.  It sure would have been nice to do that during the day so we could have seen some of the country.

I took the train to Berlin a couple of times...

had to go at night...

they wouldn't let it go through East Germany during the day :o :o :o

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 09:13:11 PM »

I've often wondered if the general crew members on a submarine know where they are, been or going?  Or is that for a 'select few' to know?

I have heard many times about the terrific food on a sub though...

do you grill with propane or charcoal down there ;D ;D ;D

I can only speak for Fast Attack Subs, not "Boomers" (missile launchers):  if it was a training run we all knew about it.  If it was a "mission" typically only the select few knew the details.  Except twice while I helped "drill holes in the ocean" were we briefed on the mission as a crew by the CO.

Nope, no grills BRD, baked steaks.  Actually no aerosols (i.e. shaving cream, etc. allowed. :(

My boat held roughly 120 crew, gave or take, depending on if we were carrying Riders (Spooks or Operators).

Oh, and a Sub is actually referred to as a boat.  Even those little thingies that ferry people to ships are launches or dinghies (ref. 1 of my bylines from James Michener).

In the Navy there are only 2 types of Naval Vessels:  Submarines....and Targets! ;D
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 09:24:10 PM »

I took the train to Berlin a couple of times...

had to go at night...

they wouldn't let it go through East Germany during the day :o :o :o

I went to Berlin also, thru checkpoint charlie!  remember that?

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2014, 09:29:44 PM »

Arpydave -  That would the last place you would to find oneself in the middle of personality issue with someone or have a malcontent on board causing a disturbance.

Yeah, we had a few "disagreements' between guys while underway and they just avoided each other for a few days.

But one night in Sub Base Bangor a "Navy Subcontractor" started some BS with 1 of ours, we all banded together and tore the place apart, including those Subcontractors who tend to wear camo.  ;)  Just like out of a movie!  :P
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2014, 06:39:52 PM »

A friend of mine who was a Marine (Semper Fi!) and spent a lot of time onboard various ships told of some real good experiences such as the food but nothing good to mention of bunking quarters though. He spoke quite frankly about the sleeping in cramped swinging bunks packed with snoring, sweating and stinking men ..... I can only imagine. He has very memories of port of calls and has visited some interesting places. 

Hat tip to all you guys on the ships though.

I am not much of a seafarer and that probably goes way back to my childhood experiences and preferred to stand firmly on ground.

I am member of the American Legion and use to swing by the Marine Club on Fridays for a fish dinner just to support their cause and was always treated as one of their own. I did that while working road patrol and only stayed long enough to grab a carry out. I watched one older Marine guy dress down a young Marine who was drunk and mouthy one night.

Amazingly, I watched the young man straighten right up and change his attitude with a little stern coaching from an old warrior tattooed up with his Marine Corp logo. It was that deep respect those guys and gals share for one another that will always be part of my memory....   

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2014, 08:51:53 PM »

I wasn't allowed to go to Berlin.  Really wanted to see that city.

whispers

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2014, 09:55:43 AM »

Blue2- I never came close to Berlin either but we did border patrol along the East German (now all one country) and the Czechoslovakian frontier border. I still have a few photos of those guys looking at us as we gaze at them. Everyone inside the five kilometer zone had to have security clearances and instructed not to provoke them with any type of finger gestures.

We were separated far enough out of vocal distance but close enough to count the pimples on each others face. Many of the East German soldiers that I seen looked like 14-year olds but there Soviet minders were probably our age, 19-20 years old at the time. The "wall" dividing east and west was probably 15 feet or higher, dotted with manned watch towers that reminded me of older traffic control towers but the further south you went there nothing but barber poles.

Everyone of the American groups in place on the border wore metal crests detailing their unit motto. Ours was the "Can Do" crest representing the Regiment of which was then part of the 3rd Infantry Division. They (our communist counterparts) knew the crests we wore meant we were from the 1st Bn., 15th Inf. was stationed at Harvey Barracks, Kitzingen, Bavaria, Germany.

They had reference books they would flip through anytime they seen us and snapped photos of us snapping photos of them. I never smoked myself, but I know they like American cigarettes because they traded a Soviet belt buckle for a pack of American cigarettes.

I noticed somebody here mentioned Wildflecken, Germany too. I knew that place well and it remains of the one coldest places in the winter that still brings chills to my memories. Wildflecken itself was only 14 kilometers from the East German border.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 09:57:49 AM by whispers »

fdharper

• New Talker
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2016, 01:25:27 PM »

My grandparents had a gas station at the southeast corner of Telegraph Rd. and Newport Rd. in Newport, MI before, during and after World War II. Going west across Telegraph Road during WWII was a Naval Air Station and as told to me when young by my grandmother it had also served as a Prisoner of War camp. The trucks that transported the POW's, among other things, would gas up at the station and the family frequently saw German POW's being transferred in and out of the camp. It was originally the Newport Naval Air Station during WWII.  The Barracks building was also used to hold German POW's from 1945 to 1946.  I do know that later the camp was a Nike Base from January 1955 until February 1963. If anyone has any other information I would appreciate your posting it here as well as emailing me.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2016, 07:25:09 PM »

My grandparents had a gas station at the southeast corner of Telegraph Rd. and Newport Rd. in Newport, MI before, during and after World War II. Going west across Telegraph Road during WWII was a Naval Air Station and as told to me when young by my grandmother it had also served as a Prisoner of War camp. The trucks that transported the POW's, among other things, would gas up at the station and the family frequently saw German POW's being transferred in and out of the camp. It was originally the Newport Naval Air Station during WWII.  The Barracks building was also used to hold German POW's from 1945 to 1946.  I do know that later the camp was a Nike Base from January 1955 until February 1963. If anyone has any other information I would appreciate your posting it here as well as emailing me.

I have found this website since I last posted in this thread.

http://www.giftbasketsfrommichigan.com/blog/michigan-history/the-german-pow-camps-of-michigan-during-wwii/

It doesn't mention anything about any operations in the Newport area.  I have a hunch that what they were doing there was a satellite operation.  Maybe out of Dundee or one of three camps I can find in Wayne County that would have been as close or closer than  Dundee.

Fort Wayne (that's where I was 'inducted' into the Army in '69) appears to have been a major operation as I have found other articles mentioning it.  This article also mentions Grosse Ile Township.  I'm pretty sure they mean the Naval Air Base at the south end of the island.  The air base by where you were and several other small bases around Monroe County were under the base at Grosse Ile.  The above link also mentions prisoners at "Romulus Army Air Field, Wayne County, MI".  I'm guessing that went on to become Wayne County Airport and today is Detroit Metropolitan Airport. 

The article also mentions some POWs were at Milan.  Maybe at the site of the Federal Prison which was there at least back in the 30s.

We have a thread here somewhere that talks about some of the small air bases around Monroe County.  I'll see if I can find it.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up