MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > Henry Ford's electric railroad across Monroe County.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Henry Ford's electric railroad across Monroe County.  (Read 7521 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: Henry Ford's electric railroad across Monroe County.
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 08:41:51 AM »

Durban was hiding in plain view all along...   just had to get some more history to figure it out.  Looks like it's right on the Dundee - Raisinville township line and the current tracks are right there too.

And here's the 'connector' map from Lenawee county:

What's interesting is I now recall seeing these maps before...  the dashed green lines show where interurban tracks have been removed and I used these maps back when I was working on tracing the interurbans!!!

Also used the Monroe County one back when I was first looking for the 'Cousino' train stop down in the Erie - LaSalle area. 

Both maps are from:

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Maps/MapMenu.htm
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:55:45 AM by BigRedDog »
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2015, 09:19:21 AM »

It's always interesting when you're looking for historic info...   you look and look and look...   drive and drive and drive...   look online...   Google, google, google!!!

And then when you find something you find more than one 'piece' of the puzzle...

I've 'found' Durban and also found an answer to where many of the 'missing' arches disappeared to...

they became 'rip-rap' on Mosquito Lake in southern Ohio.  I wonder if they hauled them down on this same rail line?  Sure does seem like there would have been an easier and less costly way to find rip-rap down there unless perhaps it was related to a project the rail road was doing.  I guess if the arches were heading south it would make sense to take them down at the 'south end' which might explain why they're missing from the area south of Flat Rock to Carleton where some sources say they had been installed!  Also, 1947 is prior to any of the aerial photos I have access to.

I'm just hoping someone will find some old family photos of them somewhere in the Carleton area that we can verify!

I haven't even tried to find Mosquito Lake yet...   I'm thinking there could be more than one lake with that name (or at least there should be)!!!

The above is a page snip from:

http://abandonedonline.net/locations/railroads/detroit-toledo-and-ironton-railroad/

There's still a lot of reading there I haven't had time to get to... 

so maybe more clues 'hiding' in plain sight ;) ;) ;)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »

There were (at least) two Mosquito lakes in Ohio...  the one on the railroad had it's name changed to Kiser Lake...  not sure when and probably doesn't matter anyway for what I'm looking at.  It's down east of Piqua off of I-75.  We've been all around that area to the west looking for the old canals but haven't been far east of Piqua...   time for a road trip ;) ;) ;)

IORY - Trestle Road Overpass
Posted September 8, 2014, by tom tweed (thomasjtweed [at] yahoo [dot] com)
The Mosquito Lake Trestle was the longest bridge on the railroad. The former Ohio Southern railroad started filling

operations over the wooden trestle in 1894. The Detroit Southern RR completed the task in 1905 and the new Detroit, Toledo, and Ironton RR was formed later in 1905. Records show that over 184,000 cu. yards of gravel were needed.

Mosquito Lake is now known as Kiser Lake. Henry Ford owned

the DT&I from 1921-1929 and during that time experimented with electric traction engines.

"At the base of the embankment (at Trestle Road) are many of the dismantled concrete arches from Henry Ford's

electrification program of 1925"

All information above repeated from Scott D. Trostel's

book copyright 1988, ISBN 0-925436-02-X

Library of Congress cat. card no.88-071455

The above is from:

http://bridgehunter.com/oh/champaign/bh59164/

I'm curious if any of the arches are even still visible or recognizable.  Were they broken up or crushed or just left whole?  Here's a Google aerial view but they don't have a street view for the area:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Trestle+Rd,+St+Paris,+OH+43072/@40.1665128,-83.9401525,260m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x883f15434378a1cb:0x6d06d9c00631e579!6m1!1e1

It's straight north of St. Paris, Ohio!!!

Viper52

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 10:27:05 AM »

Very interesting thread BRD. Thanks for the info and keep it coming.
There are laws to protect the freedom of the press's speech, but none that are worth anything to protect the people from the press.
Mark Twain

˙ɥʇnoɯ uo ƃuol puɐ sɹɐǝ uo ʇɹoɥs ǝɹɐ ɯnɹoɟ sıɥʇ ɟo ǝldoǝd ǝɯos

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 10:34:38 AM »

Very interesting thread BRD. Thanks for the info and keep it coming.

My back has been bothering me the last several days so I've had a chance to do some sleuthing...   starting to feel better again so I need to get outside and mow the lawn...   either that or wait and bale it later ;) ;) ;)

I really want to get down there now and see if those towers are still even visible and maybe try to get an idea of how many of them may have been moved down there!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2015, 10:46:20 AM »

From BRD:  "
I've always wanted to take a ride on a Gandy Dancer (the rail cart you pump the handles up and down to propel...  not the restaurant in A2)!  When I was at NMU one of the guys had a car (I don't recall now what it was)...   let some air out of the tires and just drive it onto the tracks at a crossing and start 'driving the rails'   Even back then most of the rail lines were already abandoned or very seldom used so the chances of encountering a train were pretty slim.  "

Those are actually for sale on the NARCOA website and so are various makes of rail speeders in various stages of restoration and fully restored plug and play units along with a couple Hyrail units (street legal vehicles that you drive on parallel to the tracks, lower the rail wheels and go motoring off down the right of way.....

Myself, I think a Speeder would be pretty neat.  They are trailerable to site and can be equipped with a turntable to change direction.  It appears the best ones are Fairmount Speeders (made in Fairmount, Minnesota) that come with electric start Onan engines and 2 speed transmissions.

I think the hand operated cares are called 'Pump Cars', not Gandy Dancers.

They're going to have speeder rides (for the first time) at the Buckley Old Engine Show this weekend.

http://www.buckleyoldengineshow.org/happenings-and-news/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2015, 12:30:39 PM »

Thats neat.  Been considering switching hobbies to Speeders anyway.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2015, 09:37:52 AM »

I'm not sure this is the thread we were discussing this in but it's pretty close.

Here's a railroad map of Monroe and Lenawee counties from the map link Tiny provided a few weeks ago. 

It clearly shows the rail line that runs across the road from SCF's property and on into Deerfield.  This map clearly shows a stop or even a station at 'Corbus' where the two lines crossed. 

The same line then ran down to another rail junction at Grosvenor.  There is a neat old bridge and other references to Grosvenor at:

above photo from:  http://historicbridges.org/bridges/browser/?bridgebrowser=michigan/grosvenor/

There's still (or at least there was recently) an old locomotive 'stored' there:

http://www.michiganrailroads.com/RRHX/Stations/CountyStations/LenaweeStations/GrosvenorMI.htm

Also note the actual 'lake' on the map at Ottawa Lake!!!

And just north of that is 'Gert'.  I did some Google searching and found several references to a cheese factory at Gert. 

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2015, 04:31:53 PM »

So cool, great post, thanks.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2015, 06:34:54 PM »

Talking about old defunct railroads, I see the A&B is going to petition the government for a grant to replace the tracks between the East end of Blissfield (along Ottawa Lake ((Old US 23)) to Toledo.  That will eliminate the 4 day turnaround for freight coming out of Blissfield (GLE and grain shipments) going east of Toledo.  Now, the freight has to go all the way Fort Wayne to come back east.

Some of the tracakage is already there....  Ottawa Lake Co-op uses it to side rail cars, but it's missing from north of Sterns to the A&B line which ends at GLE.

Dombrowski estimates it will save almost 80 grand per 100 cars in car rent.

It's on your map btw.....

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2015, 09:13:16 AM »

Talking about old defunct railroads, I see the A&B is going to petition the government for a grant to replace the tracks between the East end of Blissfield (along Ottawa Lake ((Old US 23)) to Toledo.  That will eliminate the 4 day turnaround for freight coming out of Blissfield (GLE and grain shipments) going east of Toledo.  Now, the freight has to go all the way Fort Wayne to come back east.

Some of the tracakage is already there....  Ottawa Lake Co-op uses it to side rail cars, but it's missing from north of Sterns to the A&B line which ends at GLE.

Dombrowski estimates it will save almost 80 grand per 100 cars in car rent.

It's on your map btw.....

Our son worked at the OLCo-Op for a couple of years back 10-12 years ago.  We've talked about that stretch up to Blissfield more than once. 

Kind of wondered when they were building the ethanol plant at Riga how long it would take for them to restore the tracks  The ties are in pretty bad shape.

They've been trying for a few years to get some help from the government!

rail-company-keep-trying-toledo-link-funds

Interesting that all the railroads want a handout from the government but they want the very minimum of government rules and regulations to follow.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2015, 09:44:19 AM »

I think it's 20 mil to rerail it or some such. (from Sterns to GLE).  The tracks are maintained south of OLC so thats all good.  A&B interlines on the east side of Adrian.  I don't believe the tracks go anywhere north of Lenawee Junction (except to the car barns at the MRS facility.  I believe the rerail will be a single track.  I wonder if it will be an upgrade to precast concrete ties and continuous weld rail which is typical of new construction?  Cutting timber and Pressure Treating it is a big no-no today (unless you count deforestation for commercial wood fiber pellets for export to the EU for 'green energy' not deforestation..........)

Some day, I'll have to buy a good metal detector and you and I will have to 'explore' the field south of me for OTM....  I bet there is a lot of it out there.  Typically when pulling trackage, everything but the rails and ties get tossed in the dirt.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2015, 10:02:28 AM »

I think it's 20 mil to rerail it or some such. (from Sterns to GLE).  The tracks are maintained south of OLC so thats all good.  A&B interlines on the east side of Adrian.  I don't believe the tracks go anywhere north of Lenawee Junction (except to the car barns at the MRS facility.  I believe the rerail will be a single track.  I wonder if it will be an upgrade to precast concrete ties and continuous weld rail which is typical of new construction?  Cutting timber and Pressure Treating it is a big no-no today (unless you count deforestation for commercial wood fiber pellets for export to the EU for 'green energy' not deforestation..........)

Some day, I'll have to buy a good metal detector and you and I will have to 'explore' the field south of me for OTM....  I bet there is a lot of it out there.  Typically when pulling trackage, everything but the rails and ties get tossed in the dirt.

Here's a video of them using both...

but it's in Sweden!

I see a lot of welded track around but not seeing much of the concrete ties yet. 

I'd think just not having all the creosote leeching out into the ground would be a big thing with the environmentalists!

Railroad thermite welding

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2015, 10:49:57 AM »

Thermite welding is pretty interesting stuff.  I've never seen pre-cast ties here but I'm sure they use them.

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2015, 11:55:57 PM »

Here's a video of them using both...

but it's in Sweden!

I see a lot of welded track around but not seeing much of the concrete ties yet. 

I'd think just not having all the creosote leeching out into the ground would be a big thing with the environmentalists!

Railroad thermite welding

I can't believe they don't have a big machine that does that. Seems awful tedious and time consuming. Maybe someone is building one some where.
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up