MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > Henry Ford's electric railroad across Monroe County.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Henry Ford's electric railroad across Monroe County.  (Read 7522 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: Henry Ford's electric railroad across Monroe County.
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2015, 06:52:39 AM »

Thermite welding is pretty interesting stuff.  I've never seen pre-cast ties here but I'm sure they use them.

I've seen them in the south but I guess I don't remember seeing them up here either.  Not sure if there is maybe some weather related issue for that :-\ :-\ :-\

They make them here and this company actually originated in Canada so they must have been selling at least some of them in the great cold north!!!

http://www.cxtconcreteties.com/
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2015, 12:42:24 PM »

No real Monroe history link here but it does give you an insight into Henry Ford's power (money) at the time and maybe into his mind a little too.

This is a story that is linked a little to  his many small 'communities' in the upper peninsula where they harvested lumber for use in his vehicles...  in this story he made an entire highway 'disappear'!!!

http://www.michiganhighways.org/indepth/M-35_huronmtns.html

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2015, 01:32:18 PM »

Very good read there BRD. Interesting. My Aunt and Uncle are Snowbirds with a place in Fla. and another in the U.P., but closer to Iron Mountain and Iron River. As they've gotten older they no longer drive down, they fly, but believe they will quit the trips and stay "Up Nort" from here on out.

But beyond the article, I forwarded it to them so they can follow the links and do searches such that they have more talking points with the neighbors up there.
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2016, 11:56:44 PM »

This is a 1906 Thomas Edison film clip on the Oʻahu Railroad. I added the background music which is an original ki hoʻalu (slack key) song I composed and played on my 1978 Ovation Adamas guitar. Randy Dellinger‎

https://www.facebook.com/randy.dellinger.9/videos/1687413054823188/
Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2016, 08:23:14 AM »

This is a 1906 Thomas Edison film clip on the Oʻahu Railroad. I added the background music which is an original ki hoʻalu (slack key) song I composed and played on my 1978 Ovation Adamas guitar. Randy Dellinger‎

https://www.facebook.com/randy.dellinger.9/videos/1687413054823188/

That might have been the original 'Thomas the Train'!!!

I'll bet that wasn't a GoPro he was using ;) ;) ;)

For all the 'birther's I'm pretty sure I saw a young 'Barack' standing alongside the tracks :o :o :o

Very good read there BRD. Interesting. My Aunt and Uncle are Snowbirds with a place in Fla. and another in the U.P., but closer to Iron Mountain and Iron River. As they've gotten older they no longer drive down, they fly, but believe they will quit the trips and stay "Up Nort" from here on out.

But beyond the article, I forwarded it to them so they can follow the links and do searches such that they have more talking points with the neighbors up there.

There were more links to Henry Ford up there so they should be able to find something closer to home too. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2016, 10:31:07 PM »

...had to go across 96 the other day to Wyoming and Michigan Ave., and I took a look a the cast cement over the track poles.  Most seem to be 'hanging in there' but there are more and more missing.  The bridge over the Rouge, leading into the Rouge Complex is in bad shape but is being used none the less bu rail traffic.  Large chunks of concrete have fallen off the sides...

I bet at some point in the near future, a train is going to collapse it.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2016, 07:39:37 AM »

...had to go across 96 the other day to Wyoming and Michigan Ave., and I took a look a the cast cement over the track poles.  Most seem to be 'hanging in there' but there are more and more missing.  The bridge over the Rouge, leading into the Rouge Complex is in bad shape but is being used none the less bu rail traffic.  Large chunks of concrete have fallen off the sides...

I bet at some point in the near future, a train is going to collapse it.

Any idea what railroad that is now?

I'll bet old Henry wouldn't be happy the way some of his 'creations' have 'turned' over the decades >:( >:( >:(

Back in mid February I took a Sunday morning ride up along the Detroit River until I hit the 'open' bridge at Zug Island.  Several business places have signs out "Just Fix the Bridge" but it doesn't look like there's anything going on with it.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2016, 01:49:24 PM »

One of the railroad forums I belong to sends out a daily 'What happened on this day in history' email every day.  Interesting that so much happened around here on June 1st:

June 1, 1903 The Toledo, Peoria & Western Railway grants trackage rights to the Keokuk & Western Illinois Electric Company between Warsaw IL and the Keokuk & Hamilton bridge. The K&WIEC installs trolley poles and will operate interurban service between Warsaw and Hamilton until 1928.

June 1, 1925 Henry Ford begins trial runs on the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton with two D-D+D-D electric locomotives. Ford has plans (never realized) to extend his electrification project to a connection with the Virginian Railway.

June 1, 1929 Interurban operations in Kalamazoo County cease as the last car runs between Kalamazoo and Battle Creek.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2016, 04:02:11 PM »

Wondering if sidecarflip is driving any of these ??? ??? ???

Saw this on Twitter...   says it's in Michigan but doesn't mention where.

Warning...  turn your speakers down...   the background music is LOUD!!!!

https://vine.co/v/iYJtt3iDUJ9

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2016, 07:13:51 PM »

Wondering if sidecarflip is driving any of these ??? ??? ???

Saw this on Twitter...   says it's in Michigan but doesn't mention where.

Warning...  turn your speakers down...   the background music is LOUD!!!!

https://vine.co/v/iYJtt3iDUJ9

I'd like to actually (restore one) and use it.  Those are whats called 'Rail Speeders' and there is a club, NARCOA, North American Rail Car Owners Association that sets guidelines and licensing...You have to be licensed to run one on the rail...  They have meets all over the country.  Go to You-Tube and type in 'Rail Speeder'.  Lots of video's

The speeders were used to transport work crews to remote access rail work.  They (NARCOA) also recognizes wihat is called a Hi-Rail which is a pickup truck with retractable rail wheels.

Sure looks like fun, travelling the rails across the countryside...  Check the video's out, pretty neat.

The President of NARCOA lives in north east Indiana not too far from us...

I find them very interesting.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2016, 10:57:26 AM »

I'd like to actually (restore one) and use it.  Those are whats called 'Rail Speeders' and there is a club, NARCOA, North American Rail Car Owners Association that sets guidelines and licensing...You have to be licensed to run one on the rail...  They have meets all over the country.  Go to You-Tube and type in 'Rail Speeder'.  Lots of video's

The speeders were used to transport work crews to remote access rail work.  They (NARCOA) also recognizes wihat is called a Hi-Rail which is a pickup truck with retractable rail wheels.

Sure looks like fun, travelling the rails across the countryside...  Check the video's out, pretty neat.

The President of NARCOA lives in north east Indiana not too far from us...

I find them very interesting.

This is the only event I see listed for this weekend on their website:

Jun 3 - 5 - MI posted 01/01 Full. Waiting List Started
Great Lakes Central Railroad
Great Lakes Railcars, Inc. is hosting a motor excursion in the northwestern corner of Michigan’s Lower Peninsula covering approximately 238 miles. Excursion fee is $525 and includes 2 nights lodging & breakfast. There is a 30 car limit. Details HERE EC is Michael P. Ford (317) 839-9320

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2016, 02:26:11 PM »

Couple things people don't understand..  You don't just put your speeder on a set of tracks and take off, you have to obtain permission from the railroad you want to ride on and they have to schedule regular freight and passenger service accordingly and there has to be a designated siding where the speeders can pull off to let regular trains by...they have the right of way plus....

The axles on the speeders are insulated from side to side, they have to be.  if they weren't, the speeders would set off crossing lights and gates plus screw with the signals ( thats how the crossings are activated, there is a small current running in each rail near each crossing and the train wheels complete the circuit, causing the crossing lights ((and gates)) to be activated. consequently, there has to be personnel at every crossing where traffic is present to direct the road traffic and the speeders so no one gets in an accident.

It's an expensive hobby.  A restored speeder can go for 20 grand and then every 'excursion' costs money for the above plus insurance, lodging (you can't sleep in one) and on the way food and drink....  The you have to have a special trailer to haul it around on and a vehicle capable of pulling the trailer...  Speeders weight a couple thousand pounds.

If I got one, I'd find a fairly late model Fairmont.  The early ones had 2 strokes, the later ones have Onan opposed twins.

Definitely an old man's hobby. ;D

What better way to see the countryside, rails go in remote areas unlike roads.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2016, 12:40:37 AM »

A Speeder club stopped in Dundee this morning for breakfast. There were about 20 of them. I took pictures of all of them if anybody wants to see them.
Mav
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2016, 11:30:50 AM »

A Speeder club stopped in Dundee this morning for breakfast. There were about 20 of them. I took pictures of all of them if anybody wants to see them.
Mav

I'll take them posted or to my e-mail address, whatever you prefer.....  I love to look at rail speeders and the folks that own them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up