MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > Windows 10

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 6475 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 01:16:19 AM »

I haven't noticed anything different really since the move - but then again I don't play games or video's... 
Sure is nice that I can scroll without the dumb pop up windows, and it starts at the start screen!
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 11:15:34 AM »

halo_girl

• Active Talker
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 11:35:59 AM »

Well I gave Win10 a chance on my convertible laptop and as of this morning, I went back to Win8.1.  While Win10 definitely had nice features, my computer was not running as smooth - things would constantly freeze up, would act like I didn't have internet when I did, would run slow, etc.  For me and what I use the laptop for - Win10 just was not worth it.  Luckily the transition back to Win8.1 was easy and within my 30 days so I ran with it and am happy to be back to Win8.1 and already see a difference in how my computer reacts.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 11:43:52 AM »

I might like W-10 but not on my old computers running XT with no memory and the laptop w/Vista..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 10:26:21 AM »

When I shut my desktop Win7 machine down last night I saw that there were 17 updates waiting to install.

It took a long time for it to boot up this morning with all those changes to make.  I see I'm still running Win7 but there is a 'Get Windows 10' option on my menu bar.

I also saw an article in the last few days that they will be installing some of the same 'spying' updates into Win7 and Win8 for those that don't want to install to Win10.

I'm thinking that may be what my 'updates' were last night :( :( :(
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2015, 09:00:22 AM »

When I shut my desktop Win7 machine down last night I saw that there were 17 updates waiting to install.

It took a long time for it to boot up this morning with all those changes to make.  I see I'm still running Win7 but there is a 'Get Windows 10' option on my menu bar.

I also saw an article in the last few days that they will be installing some of the same 'spying' updates into Win7 and Win8 for those that don't want to install to Win10.

I'm thinking that may be what my 'updates' were last night :( :( :(
Looks like you're right

http://uncovercalifornia.com/content/25698-microsoft-automatically-downloading-windows-10-installer-windows-7-windows-881-users
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 10:13:04 AM »

Since both my desktop and laptop computers now regularly greet me with 'would you like to try Windows 10' I guess it's time to take the challenge and try downloading it on one.  I'll start with the laptop since I don't use it as often (my wife does though) and there is far less info on it to back up before I try the install.  I upgraded my Google account so now I have more storage in Drive to work with.

What finally pushed me over the edge was when I read that several of the 'spying issues' that were part of Windows 10 will (or already have been) downloaded to Windows 7 and 8. 

So, if I disappear off the face of MonroeTalks you can attribute it to two crashed computers!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2015, 07:59:32 AM »

It took me a couple of days to 'back up' the photos and .pdf docs and a few other things on the laptop.  Actually took longer because I used Google Drive as a backup and it's not real fast. 

Once I finally had everything backed up the actual download of the Windows 10 package and the installation probably took around 2 hours.  The computer did have to stop and reboot several times during the installation. 

My wife managed to get on her Facebook page without any help so I guess she's good to go with it.  I really haven't tried to do anything yet but will work on that in the near future.  It doesn't look too intimidating yet so I'm thinking we'll most likely keep it and end up putting it on this desktop too. 

One of the very first steps in the installation process is to run a test to see if your machine is even compatible with Windows 10 and if it has enough memory for the installation.

At this point I can only say 'so far, so good'!

halo_girl

• Active Talker
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2015, 08:46:56 AM »

It took me a couple of days to 'back up' the photos and .pdf docs and a few other things on the laptop.  Actually took longer because I used Google Drive as a backup and it's not real fast. 

Once I finally had everything backed up the actual download of the Windows 10 package and the installation probably took around 2 hours.  The computer did have to stop and reboot several times during the installation. 

My wife managed to get on her Facebook page without any help so I guess she's good to go with it.  I really haven't tried to do anything yet but will work on that in the near future.  It doesn't look too intimidating yet so I'm thinking we'll most likely keep it and end up putting it on this desktop too. 

One of the very first steps in the installation process is to run a test to see if your machine is even compatible with Windows 10 and if it has enough memory for the installation.

At this point I can only say 'so far, so good'!

glad it is working out for you :-) as I said, it started out looking good on my laptop but then it started running like crap and that is so not this machine; ever since I put it back to 8.1 it runs like a champ once again.  While 10 had a lot of nice features it is not enough for me to sacrifice how the machine ultimately runs.  Please do keep us posted on your Win10 Journey :)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2015, 08:54:51 AM »

glad it is working out for you :-) as I said, it started out looking good on my laptop but then it started running like crap and that is so not this machine; ever since I put it back to 8.1 it runs like a champ once again.  While 10 had a lot of nice features it is not enough for me to sacrifice how the machine ultimately runs.  Please do keep us posted on your Win10 Journey :)

Both of my machines started life as Windows 7 machines and I had never upgraded either.  Years ago I upgraded (at big $$$) a machine and it had issues like you mentioned.  I never degraded it but I ended up buying a new computer shortly.

Our daughter has an early Microsoft Surface Tablet and she upgraded to W10 as soon as it came out and she has really liked it.  Part of my reason to go ahead with it.

The laptop is the newer and faster of our two computers so if we have any issues I expect it will be with the older desktop.  If so it can go back to Windows 7. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2015, 10:08:30 AM »

This article explains getting rid of 'some' of the default apps Windows 10 'pre' installs for your convenience :( :( :(

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-uninstall-default-apps-in-windows-10/

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2015, 09:40:32 PM »

Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2015, 09:48:50 PM »

Not sure if it's related to win 10 but for some reason Chrome started opening to the last visited rather than the home page I set.

I checked the settings and they were fine.

To make it work normally again, I cleared the browsing data and used Ccleaner.

Just mentioning it in case anyone else runs into the issue.

I know I said it before but I love the automatic update feature of win 10
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2015, 07:13:33 AM »

I still haven't run into any operating issues with the Win10 updated laptop...   other than sitting and looking around a little longer sometimes trying to figure out where to go next...

Other than that just still a little concerned about the security issues.  It probably isn't any worse than what Chrome does too but I'm still keeping an eye on things.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/microsoft-finally-responds-accusations-windows-10-spies-users-174608523.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2015, 10:00:48 AM »

Stumbled on this article on the upgrade process.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2990812/windows/12-irritating-windows-10-installation-issues-and-how-to-fix-them.html

I didn't run into any of these that I can really say were a problem...

I know the laptop did reboot several times during the upgrade...  definitely you want to have a laptop plugged into AC. 

My wife uses the laptop more than I do most days and she hasn't complained about anything from the upgrade once she figured out how to shut it down ;) ;) ;)

I'm still working on backing up the desktop (lots more important stuff on it than the laptop).  I did end up upgrading my Google Drive storage to a paid subscription but I should still have plenty of room for the desktop info.  And some of it will be duplicate info anyway. 

Then before I do the upgrade I'm going to take the case off it and clean all the cat and dog dust out ;) ;) ;)

One of these rainy days when I can't get outside I'll get brave and hit the 'Get Windows 10' logo that is lurking on my desktop!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up