MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > History next door

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: History next door  (Read 8291 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
History next door
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:06:33 PM »

While not "Monroe" it used to be at one time I believe... 

Interesting article on finding an old Hotel that has been vacant for years - kind of an odd find as no one explored or used the upper floors of the building?

Central Hotel revealed in floors above downtown Adrian store

http://www.lenconnect.com/article/20151115/LIFESTYLE/151119398
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

arpydave

• Hero Talker
Re: History next door
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 02:17:27 AM »

Very cool read Prof.
I know a guy who has the rafters of his garage lined with vintage bowling alley lanes salvaged from a tear-down . States he's been offered good money for them, as they are quality wood and have been protected from weather.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:25:38 AM by arpydave »
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »

While not "Monroe" it used to be at one time I believe..

Interesting article on finding an old Hotel that has been vacant for years - kind of an odd find as no one explored or used the upper floors of the building?

Central Hotel revealed in floors above downtown Adrian store

http://www.lenconnect.com/article/20151115/LIFESTYLE/151119398

Yes, all of present day Lenawee County was part of Monroe County in the very early days.

Here's a thread we did some time ago with some sketches:

http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=28679.msg615792#msg615792
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
Clip clop: Detroit's early horsepower
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 03:51:00 AM »

Some neat photos from the Detroit News.

The picture of the horse drawn milk delivery wagon in 1954 brought back a special memory.  Probably '53 or '54 I was visiting my great grandparents in Lansing and their milkman still delivered the milk in a horse drawn wagon.  It was unique enough by then that people would stop and take pictures.  Can you imagine today with all the cell phones how many pictures they would talk ??? ??? ???

http://www.detroitnews.com/picture-gallery/news/local/michigan-history/2014/11/26/clip-clop-detroits-early-horsepower/19537671/

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 07:34:54 AM »

I had to grin at the Sealtest Milk sign.......another flash out of the past.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 08:56:06 AM »

We lived way out in the country so we didn't have home delivery.  My Mom would buy Borden's brand dairy products.  We would see the little delivery truck out and about delivering to the local corner stores though.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2015, 09:33:56 AM »

The 'first Christmas' in Toledo...

The article describes much of what was at the time part of Michigan and Monroe County (pre statehood).

The sketch of the tee pees and the large structure (is it a fort of some sort?)  at the top of the article and built along the high banks of the Maumee River are probably pretty close to the then 'territory' line.  The line runs right through the Toledo Zoo from what I can figure out and that's just about where the high banks along the Maumee start.

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2015/12/24/Harsh-life-typified-first-Christmas-in-Toledo.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 09:07:11 AM »

I'm going to put this 'tidbit' of local history here.  Some history on the iconic 'Jeep'!  Mention Jeep and people immediately think of Toledo and Chrysler...

But, the Jeep wasn't 'born' in Toledo and the 'oldest Jeep' is actually a Ford!

The 'Jeep' I drove in the Army was a Ford but my grandfather owned an early to mid 50s model that was a true civilian Jeep.  Sure wish I still had that one.  We could cruise the backwoods trails north of Newberry all afternoon on a couple of gallons of gasoline. 

Anyway, some 'history' on the Jeep!!!

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1601-12-historical-facts-every-jeep-fan-should-know/

I also heard some discussion on one of the Toledo TV stations in the last week or so that there is quite a push for a Jeep Museum in Toledo.  The logical place (to me anyway) would be where the big Willys Overland smokestack stands along I-75.

A friend of mine drove by and literally saw Lee Iacocca sitting along I-75 in a limo looking over the old Jeep plant back in the 80s...   he said right then and there that Chrysler would be buying American Motors and Jeep!!!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 09:52:46 AM »

I have a cool hoodie from a gift a few years ago.  Big bright orange letters JEEP 41.
Guess it was because the guy that bought it worked at Jeep and I was born in 41 too.
A Jeep marketing guy saw it and wanted it off my back,  Said he never saw one before..

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 09:13:05 AM »

This is from what is now in Ohio although at one time it was in Michigan!!!

I've spent many years studying and locating most of the original canal from Toledo down through Lake St. Mary and on down to Dayton area and finally to Cincinnati.  What a project considering the equipment they had to work with at the time.

If you've driven down the Anthony Wayned trail to the Zoo (the zoo straddles the former state line) you've driven in the original bed of the canal. 

They refer to this as a bridge but I believe they mean it was an aqueduct in that the canal boats traveled over the crossing of the railroad underneath.

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2016/01/29/Trail-bridge-work-to-unearth-glimpse-of-old-Erie-canal.html

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 09:53:30 AM »

Not sure, but I believe that Anthony Wayne trail parallels old US 24 heading to Ft. Wayne.  There is a little park along that that road where the section of canal is still there and they have horses pulling the old barges through it.  An old gristmill is in that park too.

Neat little spot.....I've stopped a few times to watch it and check out the mill.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 10:31:17 AM »

Not sure, but I believe that Anthony Wayne trail parallels old US 24 heading to Ft. Wayne.  There is a little park along that that road where the section of canal is still there and they have horses pulling the old barges through it.  An old gristmill is in that park too.

Neat little spot.....I've stopped a few times to watch it and check out the mill.

I've been to that park several times.  Never when the boats are running though.  That's one of our destinations for this summer.  I want to take a ride on one of those boats even if it's a short distance.

I can find on Google aerial where the current 24 and the old canal merged.  Out where you're talking they canal was right down along the river and for some stretches the towpath was just beside the river itself until it go past most of the rapids.  I think it's at Waterville where they had to cross the river and then the 'real canal' started south!

I've drive almost every mile of it from there to the Ohio River.  Just a very few stretches that have been so 'destroyed' (mostly farmed over) that you can't identify the original route from either an aerial or just see it on the ground.

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 10:36:47 AM »

Very true Fuzz. I chaperoned by youngest son on a field trip to that canal tour group. I'm sure that you may be able to take their tour also, just a morning at most. Very informative. The guides are in period clothes and while doing their narration geared to the age group you still learn many things. We even had 3 lady schoolteachers from Australia join onto our tour, kinda neat that they even sought out that experience to include.

I don't know what it would all involve to join in on the tour, but kinda neat if you have a bit of time to spend, these low gas prices (I think it's Waterville), and the weather is nice.
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2016, 08:20:56 AM »

Here's a map of the entire canal system in Ohio.  There was also a branch that followed the Maumee River all the way into Indiana.

This one is just the Miami-Erie and is a a little more detailed:

Here's a short history article.  There are dozens more references online!

http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/w/Miami_and_Erie_Canal?rec=753

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2016, 08:30:17 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up