MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > MONROE AUTO EQUIP

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: MONROE AUTO EQUIP  (Read 2309 times)

blue2

• Hero Talker
Re: MONROE AUTO EQUIP
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2017, 08:27:21 PM »

There are some hockey teams around but nothing like volleyball..
Maybe if the place was in the middle of the city more kids would have walked to it

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2017, 09:31:08 PM »

Good point......I bet it would have stood a better chance somewhere closer to downtown.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2017, 08:16:15 PM »

LOL at the Ice Arena......this purchase would make sense to me if the City was experiencing growth, the Ice House never did make much sense to me.  I remember debating that across the fence with my old neighbor Mark Worrell.

In my opinion the city used very little forethought to the ice arena. 

A private developer had announce plans to build one in Monroe Township in the Laplaisance road corridor.  Maybe that would have been just enough to have allowed that whole area to thrive back then and forward...

And then another private developer announce plans to build one in Frenchtown...   if I ever heard an exact location I've forgotten...   maybe Mav remembers.

Obviously, in hindsight (always 20-20) the area wasn't going to be able to support one, much less two or even three.  The private guys realized this but the city was so gung ho to 'beat' the private guys (you know...  the ones that actually pay property taxes and income taxes and minor things like that) that they 'won' the race!!!

The city modeled their project on the one at Birch Run that ended up only being open a few years.  It's now a civic center...  at least they had the foresight to get rid of their ice arena years ago...

I've often wondered if either of the private developers would have 'won' the race if their project would have been more successful ??? ??? ???

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2017, 08:39:10 PM »

I don't remember if there even was a location for the proposed private arena.

The decision to build was made by politicians.
The decision not to build privately was made by businessmen.

It's as simple as that !!!
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2017, 09:02:15 AM »

I don't remember if there even was a location for the proposed private arena.

The decision to build was made by politicians.
The decision not to build privately was made by businessmen.

It's as simple as that !!!

Yes, that does sum it up very well.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2017, 09:35:14 AM »

Last night while I was posting about the city's big rush to build the ice arena I was trying to think of a song to post to reflect on their actions...   I could remember the rhythm but not the lyrics.  Then about 4am I woke up out of a pretty good sleep singing the whole song although I'll be the first to admit I am not a good singer by any means...  I prefer to list ;) ;) ;)

Anyway, back in the mid 60s I remember when the late and great George Jones could be heard on the radio with this song that was a big enough hit that a few others did it over in later years.

George was comparing his love interest...  many if not most of his music was about love and women which was one of his downfalls in real life...  married many times!

Anyway, he was comparing his love interest to a horse race...   the catchy part to me was always "here comes pride at the backstretch".

But, the line I was thinking of to compare to the city jumping in to build the ice arena ahead of the private investors was "and the winner loses all".

Sorry, you probably had to be there to realize how that analogy plays out in life but you probably had to be a fan of George Jones too ;) ;) ;)

I'll bet the Fuzz gets it 8) 8) 8)

George Jones - The Race Is On

So, while I have George Jones and his music 'on my mind' I have to post my personal (and apparently a lot of others too) all time favorite song.  This one actually came out later in his career.  When it first appeared I like it because it had a catchy beat and it was about women (naturally for George) and cars...  corvettes to be precise. 

And today I still enjoy it and I can really appreciate the comparison to the line about "it's not the car I want" ;D ;D ;D

George Jones (The Corvette Song)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 07:46:24 AM »

LOL BRD, that analogy cracked me up.......totally got it!
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2017, 08:18:48 PM »

I heard Tenneco was moving to Plymouth in the next year.

Man - if that is true - what is going to be left in Monroe in the way of Employers once DTE closes that big Coal Plant?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up