MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > In the News This Morning

Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 309   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News This Morning  (Read 211066 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: In the News This Morning
« Reply #4560 on: August 12, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »

I heard there were lots of cars that were close to the crossovers that were using them and going back..

There aren't as many of those crossovers as there were years ago.  Apparently when they're rebuilt 75 a couple of times over the years they've taken some out.  That often means emergency responders have to take the longer way around or wait until the road is actually closed down and then approach going the opposite way.  I don't remember if there are concrete barriers along the center in that stretch or not.  There are stretches along there that are built so close to the surface of Lake Erie that even a good 4 wheel drive vehicle might have trouble getting across the median without a turnaround. 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4561 on: August 12, 2017, 10:28:42 AM »

I can almost handle meddling within the parties and governments, that's probably the norm nowadays whether anyone wants to admit it.  But foreign interference.....to me, that is a different story where that is totally wrong and a violation of what a free country is to be.  It should be a matter of mutual respect, but then again I realize that is naive. 

We've meddled in so many elections of other countries over the years...   latest was the Palestinians when they split and let Hezbollah in charge of part of their territory...     They don't even count the miltary coupes we've helped...  and the count is 81 times we've interfered with a success rate of nearly 60% 

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-us-intervention-foreign-elections-20161213-story.html
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4562 on: August 12, 2017, 11:22:54 AM »

And some folks wonder why we are so hated around the world!
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4563 on: August 12, 2017, 02:38:08 PM »

And some folks wonder why we are so hated around the world!
...as well as why the uproar of someone else doing the same
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4564 on: August 12, 2017, 05:12:18 PM »

I can almost handle meddling within the parties and governments, that's probably the norm nowadays whether anyone wants to admit it.  But foreign interference.....to me, that is a different story where that is totally wrong and a violation of what a free country is to be.  It should be a matter of mutual respect, but then again I realize that is naive.

It's been going on since this country was founded, and long before.

Heck - didn't Royal families try to arrange marriages among each other - hoping to influence them through blood?

This is nothing new.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4565 on: August 13, 2017, 07:52:55 AM »

I know it's nothing new, but still don't think it is right.  We shouldn't meddle, nor should we be meddled with.  It is the one voice we still have in a democracy, free elections.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4566 on: August 13, 2017, 08:10:20 AM »

I wouldn't say they are "free."

Plenty of people are paying lots of money to buy them.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4567 on: August 28, 2017, 09:44:05 PM »

MDOT to 'study' S. Otter Creek intersections:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20170828/mdot-looking-at-s-otter-creek-intersections

Comments on the S. Otter intersections by the parents of the latest victim and a deputy:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20170828/its-total-chaos

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4568 on: August 30, 2017, 09:56:17 AM »

If you're in Monroe during the next few (or maybe many) days and you see MonroeTown emergency vehicles responding on W. Front (M-50) don't be surprised.  In the modern high tech world of instant communications we have a scenario where there seems to be a major communications break down.

Dunbar Road is closed for repaving the road (see article below) and also so the CSX Railroad can do a crossing repair (much needed btw).  Yesterday the railroad also started the repair process on their tracks at 7th street too and that street is closed to road traffic.  In the event MonroeTown has a rescue call or a personal injury crash on the stretch of Telegraph in the stretch between 7th and Dunbar they now must respond via either Albain road or W. Front. 

It's 'only' a few extra minutes but when every second counts it's a long, long time to wait.  I've been personally involved in a vehicle crash just north of Dunbar on Telegraph and it seemed like forever waiting for responders and Dunbar was open at the time!!! 

Not sure who should get the bulk of the 'blame' on this one but I do know the railroads (in general) are not easy to work with when it comes to trains blocking intersections and tearing up intersections with little or no notice to local government agencies. 

It's definitely time for some updates to these laws at the federal level but guess who has a very, very strong lobbying force in DC?

If I have to go into town I'll try to remember (2nd function to go) to take Dixie / S. Monroe so if I do have an incident at least I'll be in place to get a quicker response!!!

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20170829/dunbar-road-repaving-behind-schedule-because-of-weather

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4569 on: August 30, 2017, 10:22:17 AM »

Just saw a Tweet from MDOT that M-50 in the Dundee area (they weren't specific as to 'where') will be down to one lane for most of the month of September for road maintenance (again they weren't specific as to what kind of maintenance).

My guess is they may be filling the cracks with the hot tar so the lane closure is always creeping along and changing as it goes. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4570 on: August 30, 2017, 11:43:18 AM »

Crossed over the area where M50 caved in over the pipeline crossing in Lenawee County this weekend.  The pipeline people did a bang up job of repairing the road...It has a decided whoop-te-do so slow down.

I can see why the road caved in.  It's all sand there.  Pipe is in the trench but not covered yet.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4571 on: August 30, 2017, 04:42:31 PM »

I saw the FD staged at the old LazyBoy parking lot
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4572 on: August 31, 2017, 07:25:45 AM »

I saw the FD staged at the old LazyBoy parking lot

Maybe a call at one of the apartments down at the west end of Holiday street.  Those are in Frenchtown but closer to a city station so they dispatch both departments to most of the calls down there.  If one department got there first then the other may kind of hover until they can both clear.  I assume Frenchtown still has to go to the scene to fill out the state report.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4573 on: September 06, 2017, 10:26:19 PM »

Saw in the news that a skull was found in Woodland Cemetery...   

I guess they must be running out of space! 
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4574 on: September 07, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »

Saw in the news that a skull was found in Woodland Cemetery...   

I guess they must be running out of space!

Being from Moron County, it was probably empty.... ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: 1 ... 303 304 [305] 306 307 ... 309   Go Up