MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > What did you see out your window today ?

Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177   Go Down

Author Topic: What did you see out your window today ?  (Read 115042 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: What did you see out your window today ?
« Reply #2625 on: November 14, 2017, 07:11:19 PM »

Several years ago in Dundee, under a different village manager they planted hundreds of trees right under the power lines. Now of course they all need to be trimmed to keep them off the line. Worst planning possible for tree planting.

No need to mention Patrick's name right.... ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2626 on: November 14, 2017, 07:20:41 PM »

Actually Edison trimmed the trees on our road and didn't do a butcher job at all.  In fact the people across the road asked the Edison crew if they would take some from over the house and they did that too.

I talked to the crew foreman when they were here because I have trees over the lines on my property next door and hel told me to call Edison when I wanted them to take them down.  He told me to ask them to do a 'Clear Portal'.  They will come out and take everything down in the right of way for the lijes to the pole in the yard and tje drop to the house, no charge.

They haul nothing away nor do they cut the wood up.  No problem here.  I do own a chipper that will handle 8" logs and a couple chainsaws and I know of at least 2 people who will come and take the wood so long as I cut into firewood length and the chips, I spread them under the pine trees.

Love that chipper.  I haven't roasted branches in years now.  All gets chipped and spread.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2627 on: November 14, 2017, 08:18:04 PM »

I got the shaft once from Consumers tree contractors. I had a maple I wanted down that wasn't real big. A tree guy wouldn't touch it because a couple of limbs were to close to power line running down street.  I called Consumers. A guy came to see what I needed. He looked at tree and said , oh they'll take whole tree down for you. Well that didn't happen. They refused.  I was wishing I had the name of the consumers guy..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2628 on: November 15, 2017, 12:21:44 PM »

In as much as I sharpen chipper knives for local arborists, I know about everyone in the area that does tree work and removals.  Some are good, some are shoemakers so I can 'pick and choose' who I want.

If the outfit is good and has the right equipment, limbs in the power lines don't present an issue and if they do, they will contact the power company and arrange to have those limbs removed before hand.

Lots of 'shoemaker' supposed 'tree companies out there, some clown with a chainsaw and big balls collecting firewood to resell...

In dealing with any 'tree company' couple things to consider right away...

You need to see a certified copy of their liability insurance
You need to see a copy of their Workers Comp (tree removal is inherently a very dangerous occupation)...
You need an estimate in writing not an verbal one.

I know who is 'professional' and who isn't in the business because I deal with both.  I don't care if they are fly by night or not, I just sharpen their knives. but, as far as having high work done, I know who can do it right and who cannot and I'm not about to risk a holed roof or crushed vehicle over a low ball price.

Sometimes you have to 'pay to play'.  This is one of those professions.

If a tree is away from the house or any building, I can do the take down or trim myself, and I do, all the time.  I too. own some chainsaws, good ones (Stihl professional saws) and I have no qualms about cutting one down (yes, I know how to cut a felling notch and control the fall and out a tree where I want it to go but far as over buildings or utilities, I only deal with licensed, insured and above board outfits.  No exception because all it takes is one 'ooops' and you are screwed for a big loss.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #2629 on: November 15, 2017, 01:19:37 PM »

We have a huge shaggy bark hickory out by the road and it's had a pretty big 'notch' taken out of it a few times.  My guess is this tree was probably there before the power lines!   I was looking at it a few days ago and it looks like it's getting close to time for another trimming.  I may try this one myself and maybe they'll leave it alone.

I've had Consumer's send out a contractor at least 3 times over the years and never had a major problem other than one time it was months after I had contacted them.  But then the next time I called when I saw them working in the area.  They sent a foreman over and I explained what I needed and he left and sent a truck back within 2 hours so I guess that balanced out the other two.

All three of these are trees that were within the fall zone of the wires along the road.  I would have no problem cutting them myself but n the event 'anything' goes wrong and you hit those wires you're going to get a 'big' bill down the road for the repairs and any possible claims from anyone in the 'outage' zone.  Easier to let them do it by just planning ahead.

I actually have one more smooth bark hickory that needs to come down so I probably should get an email off to their office.   

When our son was in Toledo he had to have two taken down in his small back yard.  Those trees could have not only fallen on his house but any of 3 or 4 or even 5 plus the main electric line in the subdivision between the two trees.   There wasn't enough room to get a bucket truck into the back yard so he found a guy to climb them and take the tops down in pieces.  Once they were down to where they were 'safe' he finished taking down the trunks himself.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #2630 on: November 15, 2017, 01:20:38 PM »

I saw a colorful sunrise but it wasn't out the window...   I was out in the deer blind and watched the sunrise 'up close and personal'!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2631 on: November 16, 2017, 08:55:58 AM »

My daughter called me - while watching a dozen pheasants "run" in a line from the river - across the road and along the brush row separating the farm next door...   Nice to hear they are repopulating

Also seeing lots of Turkeys in the area -  I don't recall them much this far south
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2632 on: December 07, 2017, 10:52:50 AM »

First snow - and drivers unable to slow down...  multiple in ditch just down road this morning.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2633 on: December 07, 2017, 11:08:11 AM »

Just flurry actvity down south here

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #2634 on: December 07, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »

First snow - and drivers unable to slow down...  multiple in ditch just down road this morning.

That cracks me up every year since I have resided in Michigan.  I thought it was just young and inexperienced drivers until I noticed that is seldom the case.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2635 on: December 07, 2017, 01:18:46 PM »

That cracks me up every year since I have resided in Michigan.  I thought it was just young and inexperienced drivers until I noticed that is seldom the case.

In a hurry to get nowhere and then they don't.  We all know that Moron County won't treat the roads until a few says after a snow event..  if at all.

I was going to go to Toledo today but I'll postpone it until tomorrow.  Nice to be retired.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2636 on: December 07, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »

A friend just told me he ran to Kroger to get something for dinner and found the bread and milk about gone..

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2637 on: December 07, 2017, 05:44:11 PM »

LOL - the joy of the first flurries of the year.

The end is near!

;D
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #2638 on: December 09, 2017, 10:43:20 PM »

My wife says that when I die she'll go the extra mile for me.

Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2639 on: December 10, 2017, 07:10:56 AM »

I not seeing anything out my window..it's pretty dark yet
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177   Go Up