MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Anyone else following the 'Duck Lake' wildfire in the upper peninsula?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone else following the 'Duck Lake' wildfire in the upper peninsula?  (Read 7428 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

I have ties to the area so maybe that's why I've been following it...

The western edge where it burnt out to Lake Superior is very close to a home my paternal grandparents built just after WWII...  and it washed away in a a terrible storm in the late fall of 1949...   the locals say it was a worse storm than the one that sank the Edmund Fitzgerald many years later...

My parents first met about 5-6 miles west of there at the former Deer Park Coast Guard Station...

I guess for them it was Dear Park ;) ;) ;)

Article from Mlive:  http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/duck_lake_fire_closes_tahquame.html

A later article from Mlive:  http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/duck_lake_fire_exceeds_20000_a.html

The fire is visible from space: 

To the lower left at about a 45 degree angle you can see the smoke from another fire that was near Seney last week...  It is dry as tender up there I hear :( :( :(

Article from The Blade tonight:  http://www.toledoblade.com/Nation/2012/05/26/Mich-state-park-in-Upper-Peninsula-closed-as-wildfire-grows-to-more-than-21-000-acres.html

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:27:27 AM by BigRedDog »
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Something I found interesting...   the fire even has it's own hashtag on Twitter 8) 8) 8)

You can follow updates here:

https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23ducklakefire
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

ducksoup

• Hero Talker

yes, paying attention...
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

They've been getting some rain in the area and more on the way.  They have contained the northwest exposure somewhat (that is the area where my grandparent's place on Lake Superior was).  There are more firefighters arriving and Governor Snyder has declared this an emergency situation.  I believe I saw one article that said some national guard units would or could now be used.   Not sure if that is for actual fire fighting or perhaps for road building.  This area is very remote by our standards down here although not as much so as points more west in the UP!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

yes, paying attention...

When I first saw the news I wondered if you would be watching it? 

The largest lake in the area is Pike Lake, so I'm not sure how it became known as the Duck Lake fire...   Some of those lakes in that area are not very big ;) ;) ;)

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?

Looks like there are some heavy rains heading that way today.  I hope it helps the fire fighters.
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker

When I first saw the news I wondered if you would be watching it? 

The largest lake in the area is Pike Lake, so I'm not sure how it became known as the Duck Lake fire...   Some of those lakes in that area are not very big ;) ;) ;)

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120529/GPG0101/205290419/Duck-Lake-Fire-total-reaches-nearly-100-buildings-Upper-Peninsula

NEWBERRY, Mich. — Homes and cabins make up a third of the nearly 100 structures destroyed by a wildfire burning across more than 30 square miles of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, officials said Monday.

The lost property includes Pike Lake Resort near Pike Lake in Luce County.

"I was still hoping that they would stop it," owner Diane Ricketts said of the fire. "With my husband gone, I'm not going to rebuild. We're just going to go on and take it day by day and see what's going to happen."

The Duck Lake Fire began with a lightning strike last week and burned more than 22,000 acres, or 34 square miles, but was 51 percent contained by Monday, according to the Department of Natural Resources.
(more)
-----------------

http://www.sooeveningnews.com/news/x1832949094/Duck-Lake-Fire-Falls-in-Danger

Newberry, Mich. —

The Duck Lake Fire is coming dangerously close to Tahquamenon Falls State Park, and on Saturday afternoon the Michigan Department of Natural Resources said the more than 20,000-acre fire had reached seven miles from the Lower Falls campgrounds with winds continuing to push the fire northeast.

The DNR said Saturday afternoon the fire crossed County Road 500 and has reached Culhane Lake and Little Lake (north and east of Pike Lake) and had grown to an estimated 21,114. Among the destroyed properties was Rainbow Lodge near the Mouth of the Two-Hearted River State Forest Campground. The fire is 20 percent contained, though much of that is because the fire has reached the Lake Superior shoreline.

The south end of the fire is 14 miles north of Newberry and stretches 11 miles to Lake Superior. The fire area includes 6 miles of Lake Superior shoreline and 29 1/2 miles of uncontained fire line, the DNR said.
Tahquamenon Falls evacuated campers from the Lower Falls campground....

The fire at the Seney Wildlife Refuge was 70 percent contained as of Saturday.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Looks like there are some heavy rains heading that way today.  I hope it helps the fire fighters.

This article from the Detroit News says the rain did help...   and there hasn't been any stories about it getting worse so have to assume that's good (no) news!!!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120527/METRO/205270329/1361/Mich.-wildfire-stabilizes--rain-aids-control-work

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20120529/GPG0101/205290419/Duck-Lake-Fire-total-reaches-nearly-100-buildings-Upper-Peninsula

NEWBERRY, Mich. — Homes and cabins make up a third of the nearly 100 structures destroyed by a wildfire burning across more than 30 square miles of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, officials said Monday.

"I was still hoping that they would stop it," owner Diane Ricketts said of the fire. "With my husband gone, I'm not going to rebuild. We're just going to go on and take it day by day and see what's going to happen."

The Duck Lake Fire began with a lightning strike last week and burned more than 22,000 acres, or 34 square miles, but was 51 percent contained by Monday, according to the Department of Natural Resources.
(more)
-----------------

http://www.sooeveningnews.com/news/x1832949094/Duck-Lake-Fire-Falls-in-Danger

Newberry, Mich. —

The Duck Lake Fire is coming dangerously close to Tahquamenon Falls State Park, and on Saturday afternoon the Michigan Department of Natural Resources said the more than 20,000-acre fire had reached seven miles from the Lower Falls campgrounds with winds continuing to push the fire northeast.

The DNR said Saturday afternoon the fire crossed County Road 500 and has reached Culhane Lake and Little Lake (north and east of Pike Lake) and had grown to an estimated 21,114. Among the destroyed properties was Rainbow Lodge near the Mouth of the Two-Hearted River State Forest Campground. The fire is 20 percent contained, though much of that is because the fire has reached the Lake Superior shoreline.

The south end of the fire is 14 miles north of Newberry and stretches 11 miles to Lake Superior. The fire area includes 6 miles of Lake Superior shoreline and 29 1/2 miles of uncontained fire line, the DNR said.
Tahquamenon Falls evacuated campers from the Lower Falls campground....

The fire at the Seney Wildlife Refuge was 70 percent contained as of Saturday.

Here's the website for the Rainbow Lodge...   I've been there a few times.  I did see a photo in a  tweet yesterday after it burned...  will look and post if I can find it again!

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/twoheart/rainbow.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

This is what the Rainbow Lodge looks like now :( :( :(

From:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eagle-967/184302261597569

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

From Skittelroo's post above:

This is especially disheartening for me.  I spent many summer days in my pre-teen years at the Pike Lake Resort.  My grandparents (both maternal and paternal) were close friends of the owners at the time.  My paternal grandparents did a lot of work there and at times when the owners had to be away my grandparents would run the place for them. 

I have mentioned here on MT before about how they died...   literally within sight of my maternal grandparent's resort (Pine Stump Junction) during a November blizzard while I was a teen.

This is all bringing back a lot of good memories this morning. 

Simply amazing that the mind can remember details from 50+ years ago but I still can't remember where I left the truck keys yesterday ;) ;) ;)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

I've spent quite a bit of time over the weekend comparing info and maps of where the fire has burned and it does appear that the Lake Superior lakefront cabin my paternal grandparents owned was a couple of miles west of the edge of the fire. 

I guess it's time to think about a trip up there to check all this out first hand :) :) :)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Looks like about the quickest source for accurate info is the local Newberry radio station:

http://www.radioeaglenewberry.com/index.php?page=PIKE_LAKE_AREA_WILDFIRE

This is what they were posting during the rain yesterday:

MONDAY MAY 28TH, 2012

5:15 P.M.
2 LARGER WATER CAPACITY PLANES HAVE BEEN BROUGHT IN FROM THE MARQUETTE AREA. BOTH PLANES HAVE BEEN WORKING ON THE SITUATION ON RECENT FIRE ACTIVITY NEAR THE PIKE LAKE AREA.  CURRENTLY THEY ARE EXPERIENCES A MAJOR SHIFT IN THE WIND DIRECTION DUE TO THE SERVE WEATHER THAT IS MOVING INTO AND AROUND THE AREA.

4:15 P.M.
THE DNR IS REPORTING AN INCREASE IN FIRE ACTIVITY IN THE PIKE LAKE AREA.  REFERRING TO IT AS A "BLOW OUT" WITH CROWNING IN THE PINES. GROUND CREWS HAVE BEEN MOVED BACK, AND A HEAVY AIR ATTACK IS BEING ESTABLISHED.

4:00 P.M.
CURRENTLY 51% CONTAINMENT (A PORTION OF THAT REMAINS THE LAKE SUPERIOR SHORE LINE) THIS IS AN IMPROVEMENT OF 3% SINCE EARLIER THIS MORNING. WITH THE INCREASE IN WINDS, TEMPERATURE AS WELL AS A DROP IN THE HUMIDITY, WHICH ACCOUNTS FOR THE FIRE BECOMING MORE ACTIVE ALONG THE SOUTHEAST FLANK OF THE FIRE. TO COUNTERACT THAT, THEY ARE FOCUSING ON THAT AREA WITH A HEAVY AIR ATTACK.

Skittelroo

• Hero Talker

Here's the website for the Rainbow Lodge...   I've been there a few times.  I did see a photo in a  tweet yesterday after it burned...  will look and post if I can find it again!

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/twoheart/rainbow.html

I got a chuckle from this statement on their website:
"PLEASE DO NOT USE MAPQUEST, GOOGLE, GPS etc. for directions.
People have been routed thru swamps, non-existant roads, or 2 tracks!!"
Use the map on their page :)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

I got a chuckle from this statement on their website:
"PLEASE DO NOT USE MAPQUEST, GOOGLE, GPS etc. for directions.
People have been routed thru swamps, non-existant roads, or 2 tracks!!"
Use the map on their page :)

No such thing as house numbers in much of that area...

the post office just knows everyone ;) ;) ;)

I still remember my dad's parent's phone number (they didn't have phones where they lived until after I was born)...

Even though we could direct dial (literally, with a round dial on a black phone) a lot of places, to call them you had to call the operator and ask to be routed through Newberry to "Halfway Lake F-12!!!

And their phone had no dial...  you had to hand crank on the side of it to ring the operator and then ask for your call to be connected...

That's really making me feel old as I sit here looking at my Droid "smartphone" 8) 8) 8)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up