MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Morel Mushrooms

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Morel Mushrooms  (Read 5602 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Morel Mushrooms
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2015, 10:58:01 PM »

Major reason I finally succumbed to the Apple.. Iphone - it was smarter than my blackberry!

I've seen lots of mushrooms but none that appear like those in the pics...  do they grow in special areas?

Usually in areas near trees and rotting wood but with some sunlight but dampness.  It pays to know your 'shrooms.  The wrong ones will kill you.

Best place to look is along a tree line in a remote area (not walked in or on).
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2015, 11:14:41 PM »

I want to try some "Hen of the Woods" mushrooms.

I watched a video about some mushroom hunters that go out and pick all kinds of them and sell them to restaurants for $20 a pound. They were in Michigan hunting in one episode.

These Hen of the Woods are picked in the Fall of the year and can weigh up to 40 lbs. Supposed to taste like chicken.

http://livingafield.com/Mushroom_HenoftheWoods.htm

Women should be obscene and not heard.

Ham Radio...the original social network.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2015, 11:18:26 PM »

I'll stick with Morels.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2015, 11:23:34 PM »

I'll stick with the grocery store...  not into eating stuff that might make me sick if I don't ID it properly!
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2015, 11:34:37 PM »

You two are not very fungis.  8* ;D

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2015, 07:17:38 AM »

I've seen lots of mushrooms but none that appear like those in the pics...  do they grow in special areas?

Different people have different 'theories' on where to hunt.  Around here we have lots of old apple trees and I've always had good luck within 30-40 feet of them.  We'll find them there year after year after year and then some years...    nothing!!!!

The ones in the above picture in our son's hand are ones he found over in Branch County.  He'd never searched in that area but had time on his hands so he decided to go looking for an area with dead ash trees...   BINGO!!!  We have lots of dead Ash trees (actually stumps, we've harvested the dead trees for firewood) and I didn't find a single one. 

A note about something I said about our son in that picture...   he's our 'only' son...   so I guess that does make him the oldest (and the youngest)...   I'd been mentioning both of our daughters in other threads so I was just thinking 'oldest - youngest' I guess!

But the strangest spot I've ever found a Morel is right out in the middle of our lawn...   high and dry in the sand and wide open sun.  I was mowing with the big mower and I almost didn't even get off the tractor to go look because I was so sure it couldn't be a Morel...   I finally stopped before I 'sliced' it on the go and sure enough it was a Morel...   that was probably 10 years ago...   this time of year I always mow that area with the trim mower but I haven't seen another one there since!!!

I've asked many times if there are dogs that can sniff them out and never heard of one...   a Google search always goes to police drug dogs and 'magic' mushrooms...

Looks like maybe a pig would be the way to go...

here's a pig hunting a truffle (mushroom cousin)...   

but you'd have to get a lot of mushrooms to feed this big boy:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1L-uev-hwg
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Hearshear

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2015, 09:02:56 AM »

I do very well on sulfer shelf (chicken of the woods) in the fall in my area. Right now I am at about 2 pounds of morels and yesterday I picked up about 3 1/2 pounds of druid's saddles which make great mushroom gravy.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2015, 10:27:42 AM »

Another Mlive article on hunting morels...

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2015/05/find_michigans_best_morel_hunt.html

They mention hunting in areas that have been recently burned off...   here's the link to the map of last year's major burns...   there are a few in Monroe County:

http://www.midnr.com/Publications/pdfs/ArcGISOnline/StoryMaps/frd_mushrooms_hunting/index.html?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2016, 10:56:19 PM »

My nephew and brother have both found some of the very early morel mushrooms this week, so if the weather warms up they should start popping up soon.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2016, 08:32:38 AM »

My nephew and brother have both found some of the very early morel mushrooms this week, so if the weather warms up they should start popping up soon.

I've been back in the woods a few times and haven't noticed any but haven't really been off the beaten (mowed actually) trails to look...   it's still very, very wet in the low spots.  Guess I'll put on my knee high boots and go take a walk.  Just listening to the weather report on 24NBC Toledo and KN says highs in the 50s today but they will be warmer as May gets here.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2016, 08:46:20 PM »

I made another pass through our 'hot spot' but didn't see anything this afternoon.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2016, 09:21:53 AM »

My wife found one yesterday right in our yard.  I told her there was a good reason I hadn't mowed that spot yet!!!

At one time there was a huge apple orchard here so we tend to have lots of good 'potential' spots for Morels 8) 8) 8)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2016, 09:20:45 AM »

Once in a lifetime find!!!

This was northwest of Jackson so not really that far away!

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index.ssf/2016/05/monster_morels_once-in-a-lifet.html#incart_m-rpt-2

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2016, 03:30:11 PM »

Different people have different 'theories' on where to hunt.  Around here we have lots of old apple trees and I've always had good luck within 30-40 feet of them.  We'll find them there year after year after year and then some years...    nothing!!!!

The ones in the above picture in our son's hand are ones he found over in Branch County.  He'd never searched in that area but had time on his hands so he decided to go looking for an area with dead ash trees...   BINGO!!!  We have lots of dead Ash trees (actually stumps, we've harvested the dead trees for firewood) and I didn't find a single one. 

A note about something I said about our son in that picture...   he's our 'only' son...   so I guess that does make him the oldest (and the youngest)...   I'd been mentioning both of our daughters in other threads so I was just thinking 'oldest - youngest' I guess!

But the strangest spot I've ever found a Morel is right out in the middle of our lawn...   high and dry in the sand and wide open sun.  I was mowing with the big mower and I almost didn't even get off the tractor to go look because I was so sure it couldn't be a Morel...   I finally stopped before I 'sliced' it on the go and sure enough it was a Morel...   that was probably 10 years ago...   this time of year I always mow that area with the trim mower but I haven't seen another one there since!!!

I've asked many times if there are dogs that can sniff them out and never heard of one...   a Google search always goes to police drug dogs and 'magic' mushrooms...

Looks like maybe a pig would be the way to go...

here's a pig hunting a truffle (mushroom cousin)...   

but you'd have to get a lot of mushrooms to feed this big boy:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1L-uev-hwg

If you have them, it's better not to pick all of them.  You need to leave a few to drop their spores and make more...

Tiny

• Hero Talker
  • Aw...Nuts
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2016, 08:11:09 PM »

A relative found this one a week ago.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up