MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Nature & Environment

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Nature & Environment  (Read 17670 times)

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Nature & Environment
« on: May 16, 2013, 10:08:58 PM »

Eternal Flame At Chestnut Ridge Park In Western New York Fed By New Gas Source, Study Reports
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/13/eternal-flame-chestnut-ridge-park_n_3266918.html

==========

The so-called “eternal flame falls” is a waterfalls of Shale Creek in the southeast corner of Chestnut Ridge Park in an area known as the Shale Creek Preserve. A grotto on the right side of the falls (as you are facing it) has several fissures through which methane gas escapes.

There are lots of fissures in the creek bed through which methane gas escapes, and you’ll smell it as you approach the falls, but the others can’t be set aflame because they are exposed to dissipation by the air currents or are under water (look for rising bubbles.)
http://www.wnytrails.com/?p=243

==========

Chestnut Ridge Park Eternal Flame Falls

This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Re: Nature & Environment
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 10:53:32 PM »

30 Foot Wall Of Lake Ice Rips Through Homes In Canada

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 11:38:47 PM »

Invasive Crazy Ants Are Displacing Fire Ants, Researchers Find

Invasive “crazy ants” are displacing fire ants in areas across the southeastern United States, according to researchers at The University of Texas at Austin. It’s the latest in a history of ant invasions from the southern hemisphere and may prove to have dramatic effects on the ecosystem of the region.

The “ecologically dominant” crazy ants are reducing diversity and abundance across a range of ant and arthropod species — but their spread can be limited if people are careful not to transport them inadvertently, according to Ed LeBrun, a research associate with the Texas invasive species research program at the Brackenridge Field Laboratory in the College of Natural Sciences

The study by LeBrun and his colleagues was published in Biological Invasions.

“When you talk to folks who live in the invaded areas, they tell you they want their fire ants back,” said LeBrun. “Fire ants are in many ways very polite. They live in your yard. They form mounds and stay there, and they only interact with you if you step on their mound.”

LeBrun said that crazy ants, by contrast, “go everywhere.” They invade people’s homes, nest in crawl spaces and walls, become incredibly abundant and damage electrical equipment.

The crazy ants were first discovered in the U.S. in 2002 by a pest control operator in a suburb of Houston, and have since established populations in 21 counties in Texas, 20 counties in Florida, and a few sites in southern Mississippi and southern Louisiana.

In 2012 the species was formally identified as Nylanderia fulva, which is native to northern Argentina and southern Brazil. Frequently referred to as Rasberry crazy ants, these ants recently have been given the official common name “Tawny crazy ants.”

The Tawny crazy ant invasion is the most recent in a series of ant invasions from South America brought on by human movement. The Argentine ant invaded through the port of New Orleans in about 1891. In 1918 the black imported fire ant showed up in Mobile, Ala. Then in the 1930s, the red imported fire ant arrived in the U.S. and began displacing the black fire ant and the Argentine ants.

The UT researchers studied two crazy ant invasion sites on the Texas Gulf Coast and found that in those areas where the Tawny crazy ant population is densest, fire ants were eliminated. Even in regions where the crazy ant population is less dense, fire ant populations were drastically reduced. Other ant species, particularly native species, were also eliminated or diminished.

LeBrun said crazy ants are much harder to control than fire ants. They don’t consume most of the poison baits that kill fire ant mounds, and they don’t have the same kinds of colony boundaries that fire ants do. That means that even if they’re killed in a certain area, the supercolony survives and can swarm back over the area.

“They don’t sting like fire ants do, but aside from that they are much bigger pests,” he said. “There are videos on YouTube of people sweeping out dustpans full of these ants from their bathroom. You have to call pest control operators every three or four months just to keep the infestation under control. It’s very expensive.”

LeBrun said that in northern Argentina and southern Brazil, where the ants are native, populations are likely held in check by other ant species and a variety of natural enemies. In the U.S. there is no such natural control.

Here the crazy ants can attain densities up to 100 times as great as all other ants in the area combined. In the process, they monopolize food sources and starve out other species. LeBrun said the crazy ants, which are omnivorous, may also directly attack and kill other ant and arthropod species.

The overall result is a significant reduction in abundance and biodiversity at the base of the food chain, which is likely to have implications for the ecosystem as a whole.

“Perhaps the biggest deal is the displacement of the fire ant, which is the 300 pound gorilla in Texas ecosystems these days,” said LeBrun. “The whole system has changed around fire ants. Things that can’t tolerate fire ants are gone. Many that can have flourished. New things have come in. Now we are going to go through and whack the fire ants and put something in its place that has a very different biology. There are going to be a lot of changes that come from that.”

LeBrun said a great deal about the Tawny crazy ants remains unknown, including their potential range. So far, most of the colonies are in fairly wet environments with mild winters, near the coast, so it may be the case that they can’t thrive in drier or colder climates, and that fire ants will remain dominant in those areas.

The spread of the Tawny crazy ants may also be limited, even within the more hospitable climates, by caution from humans. The reproductive members of the species don’t fly. So when left to their own devices, crazy ant colonies can only advance about 200 meters a year. That means they’re dependent on humans to colonize new areas.

“They are opportunistic nesters,” said LeBrun. “They can take up residence in everything from a house plant, to an empty container left outside, to an RV. So they’re easily transported by us. But the flip side of that is that if people living in or visiting invaded areas are careful and check for the crazy ants when moving or going on longer trips, they could have a huge impact on the spread.”  Nursery products also appear to be a key way these ants spread, so both buyers and sellers should be watchful for these ants.

LeBrun said that cutting down on the number of transplantation events could slow the spread by years or decades. And that extra time could give the ecosystem time to adapt and researchers time to develop better control methods.

“We can really make a difference,” he said, “but we need to be careful, and we need to know more.”
http://www.utexas.edu/news/2013/05/16/invasive-crazy-ants-are-displacing-fire-ants-researchers-find/

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:22:34 AM »

Petroleum coke being stored near Detroit River is 'the dirtiest byproduct from the dirtiest...

The Sierra Club's Lena Moffitt, and Buzzfeed's Michael Hastings break down the Koch brothers' involvement in petroleum coke being openly stored on the banks of Detroit River.

=========

48217: Life in Michigan's most polluted ZIP code
Illness is just as pervasive as metallic dust cover

http://www.freep.com/article/20100620/NEWS05/6200555/48217-Life-Michigan-s-most-polluted-ZIP-code

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 08:38:06 AM »

How a lobbyist helped pollute

The energy company, Uranium Energy Corporation, has been trying to launch a large-scale mining operation in Goliad, Texas, for quite a while. Because the mining activities could pollute the aquifer that supplies the city's drinking water, the EPA has been rejecting the company's request for an exemption from the federal Safe Drinking Water Act. Then, the company hired high-powered lobbyists Heather Podesta, a well-connected player in Washington who has been called, "the number one person you need to know in Obama's Washington." After she lobbied on behalf of Uranium Energy, the EPA relented, and Uranium Energy is now allowed to mine the Goliad aquifer.

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »

How a lobbyist helped pollute

The energy company, Uranium Energy Corporation, has been trying to launch a large-scale mining operation in Goliad, Texas, for quite a while. Because the mining activities could pollute the aquifer that supplies the city's drinking water, the EPA has been rejecting the company's request for an exemption from the federal Safe Drinking Water Act. Then, the company hired high-powered lobbyists Heather Podesta, a well-connected player in Washington who has been called, "the number one person you need to know in Obama's Washington." After she lobbied on behalf of Uranium Energy, the EPA relented, and Uranium Energy is now allowed to mine the Goliad aquifer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DggHxJ2kzwU

Nothing a donation can't overcome!

So much for Hope and Change.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 02:40:02 PM »

Bears walking on fence

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 04:45:43 PM »

That was good......I was trying to catch where they said that was and I thought I heard Snoqualmie Ridge which is in Washington state.  Did you catch where that was Fry?
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »

Cat With TWO Faces Born In Portland Oregon

Not sure why but the title about two faces reminded me of the resident conservatives

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Super Moon
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 11:34:49 PM »

The storms went through just in time and now the sky is clear...   The Super Moon is out
(it's closest point to the earth this year during a full moon in our view)
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 01:18:30 PM »

"Pittsburgh artist Nickolay Lamm that revealed what 25 feet of sea level rise might look like at a variety of East Coast tourist destinations. Now, Lamm is back with more visions of America's watery future -- but this time he's focused on the country's Pacific coastline."

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 02:18:54 AM »

Monroe Plant Tests Raise Concerns

DTE Energy is disputing claims that its experiments burning petroleum coke as an alternative fuel at its Monroe Power Plant have jeopardized the health of area residents.

Clean Energy Now, a group advocating renewable energy sources, said Wednesday the substance emits more carbon dioxide than coal, resulting in more area air pollution.

“There are no health issues here,” countered Randi Berris, a DTE spokeswoman. “We do have a permit to burn up to 10 percent of our fuel mix as petroleum coke, which does translate to about 1 million tons. The reason we are looking at doing this is that it’s an environmentally sound way to provide our customers with a lower-cost fuel source. The difference (from coal) is that it burns hotter than coal, so you need to use less of it.” She said the differences in emissions between coal and pet coke is negligible.

She said all aspects of the company’s power plant operations are regulated closely, including the management of its fuel supplies and the Monroe plant has the best available pollution control technologies available. The massive plant on the shore of Lake Erie has had costly pollution-control scrubbers and flue-gas desulfurization systems added in recent years in one of the biggest ongoing corporate capital investments in Michigan.

Tests were run in August and February and March on boilers equipped with scrubbers, but the company has not decided whether it will use it as part of its regular mix of coal in the plant’s boilers, Ms. Berris said. “We’re still evaluating our options and looking at the results of those tests,” she said.
http://www.monroenews.com/news/2013/jun/12/monroe-plant-tests-raise-concerns/

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 11:20:48 PM »

Van Struck by Lightning

August 22, 2013 - A driver in Titusville, Florida was driving down a highway when his van was struck by lightning. He was able to pull over, but his vehicle is a total loss.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfKTYt6N0p0

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:44 AM »

Recycling now goes to landfills

The US has been exporting millions of tons of recyclables to China, but China's Operation Green Fence has put an end to much of that. It was implemented to curb the growth of China's huge garbage mountains. But the US doesn't have an industry to recycle much of its own waste. As a result, much of our recyclables now ends up in landfills.

The Resident: Recycling now goes to landfills

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2013, 01:51:28 PM »

New Push To Build Lots And LOTS Of New Nuclear Power Plants

www.youtube.com/watch?v=feigbvIUIr0

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up