MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Nature & Environment

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Nature & Environment  (Read 19784 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Tannery waste debris excavation begins at Wolverine dump
« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2017, 08:52:02 AM »

Interesting that this dumpsite is actually on MDOT property...

talk about trying to stick the taxpayers with your hazardous waste :o :o :o

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2017/10/wolverine_mdot_barrels_excavat.html

I remember when there were a couple of these 'barrel dumps' down in Bedford Township.  Eventually cleaned up by 'superfund' federal $$$.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Nature & Environment
« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2017, 03:36:20 PM »

I fear it will get a whole lot worse before it gets better.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Another tannery waste dump site found in western Michigan
« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2017, 09:23:29 AM »

I fear it will get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

Looks like it's already getting worse...

now they're finding drums of waste that were dumped on the adjoining parcels of land that had homes on them.  Makes you wonder why some people think our 'youth' are all messed up...

it was our generation that poisoned them :o :o :o

http://www.ourmidland.com/news/article/Another-tannery-waste-dump-site-found-in-western-12283643.php#photo-14363935

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Wildlife refuge dock, pier finished, to open in spring
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2017, 10:08:23 AM »

We went up to the dedication of the Humbug Marsh Project when all of this was being conceived.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20171021/wildlife-refuge-dock-pier-finished-to-open-in-spring

I guess it's been about 12-13 years...   we had taken the big red dog with us (dogs were specifically invited) and although she was full grown she wasn't very old.  She was still pretty good natured around other dogs and she had a great day. 

There was a couple there that had a beautiful pair of registered Chessies and they were admiring her thinking she was a Chessie...   when I explained she was a 'rescue' he kept asking me questions of what I actually knew about her background.  I realized later that he thought perhaps she was stolen or something...   We already knew she was a 'hot' dog but not in that way ;) ;) ;)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #244 on: February 26, 2018, 09:23:03 AM »

The main focus of this article starts right in Metro Detroit but also talks about Monroe County and specifically the Petersburg State Game Area.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/sponsor-story/michigan-wildlife-council/2018/02/26/detroits-backyard-beauty-conserving-one-last-great-places-earth/368193002/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #245 on: February 26, 2018, 10:51:24 AM »

Interesting.  I do know that when hunting season rolls around, there isn't a deer to be found in the game area...lol

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #246 on: February 26, 2018, 11:23:31 AM »

Interesting.  I do know that when hunting season rolls around, there isn't a deer to be found in the game area...lol

Always amazed me how many hunters are in there though!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #247 on: March 26, 2018, 08:57:34 AM »

Here's a newspaper article you won't find in very many areas of the country.

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180325/local-trappers-see-fewer-muskrats

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
25 of Michigan's must-visit rustic campgrounds
« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2018, 08:19:59 PM »

I stumbled on this article at lunch while I was looking up something else.  I had to scroll to the very last campground on the list but our favorite was there.  I've been going there since I was a 2 year old and they have actually updated it and the road leading into it in the last few years.  If you go remember to take some warm clothes even in July or August.  We were there over Labor Day weekend last year and the wind coming in off Lake Superior was 'brisk' to say the least! 

I picked out a couple of others on the list we might try.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/2017/07/25_of_michigans_must-visit_rus.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Pelicans flocking to Michigan's Pointe Mouillee as population grows
« Reply #249 on: May 27, 2018, 08:40:26 PM »

When we're in Florida in the winter we often see pelicans along either coast and now they're recently showing up right here in Monroe County.  Apparently all the money that has been poured into restoring the shoreline wetlands has had a positive impact. 

We've seen more swans this year than ever before down at the Erie Marsh but apparently we missed the pelicans when they were down there.  Now they're seeing them at the north end of the county at Pointe Mouilee.  We'll have to take a road trip this week and see if we can see any familiar faces. 

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/05/26/pelican-sightings-rise-michigan-lake-erie/637363002/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I remember Christmas of 1984.  We were camping at Bradenton and it was 'jacket' weather.  We had gone to lunch out on one of the barrier islands along the Gulf coast west of Bradenton-Sarasota.  There was a restaurant there that rotated while you ate.  I don't remember the name and I'm not sure if it's still there.  We tried to find a few years ago and didn't find it but that doesn't mean it's gone either.  Anyway, when we came out from lunch there was a one legged pelican hamming it up in the parking lot.  He definitely knew how to draw a crowd.  No one seemed to know how he lost a leg and he wasn't talking.  If anyone sees a one legged pelican at Pointe Mouilee ask him if he remembers me 8) 8) 8)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #250 on: June 05, 2018, 09:13:17 AM »

If you're looking to get back to nature one of these days this trip is worth your while.  We didn't realize how big the area was so we made a mistake by not taking binoculars with us.

I think it's the exit just before Frankenmuth so would be easy to combine this with a trip to Frankenmuth too. 

https://www.mlive.com/expo/erry-2018/06/988e2308a25238/index.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

Last weekend when the wind was blowing hard out of the west we had a group of three black walnut trees that lost most of their leaves.  The leaves are laying right there on the ground and they're still green so I'm not sure what is going on.  In all the years we've been here we've never had this happen before. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #252 on: July 15, 2018, 09:53:45 AM »

25 popular state parks across Michigan.

https://www.mlive.com/expo/erry-2018/05/1351fdcc579238/michigan_popular_state_park_ca.html

I didn't see Sterling on the list.  We have never camped there although we have friends that live right here in Monroe County that camp out there all the time.  Not a single tree on any of the campsites has got to make for some hot days and nights this time of year.  It seems to be a popular park and most of the sites appear full no matter when we're out there.  We do go out to use the holding tank dump a few times a year and quite often will grab a sub or a pizza and go out there to have a lakeside meal.  I'm getting pretty good at riding the bicycle trail from the state park along the old interurban paths and back to the National Battlefield. 

On our trip last labor day we ended up in two of the 25 on the above list.  We hadn't done any online reservations and at both parks we just showed up to see if they had a spot.  Both said they were full except for rustic sites (no electric or water) which was fine with us as we usually hit the state campgrounds where you don't have those anyway. 

On Muskallonge lake we were across the trail from the lake and had a perfect view.  There was a couple set up right beside us that seemed a little peeved when we showed up.  Before we showed up they had the unobstructed view of the lake.  They warmed up after a couple of days and I finally decided it was the dog they didn't like.  The dog only barked a few times the whole time we were there so not sure why they didn't like him :-\ :-\ :-\

When we got back to St. Ignace we stopped by the straits park just mostly to look around but decided to ask if they had a spot anyway.  This was a day or two after Labor Day and when I asked if they had a spot the ranger just laughed and said we only have one spot.   It's all tents along that side of the street because most of you trailer campers can't get onto the spot.  I told him we'd go take a look at it.  The problem was the streets are one way and set up so you have to back to the right (mirror backing up only) to get onto the fairly small spot.  When I got onto the spot the front end of the truck was still hanging across the street but no one got upset while they waited the few minutes for me to get unhooked.  I rode my bike back up to the ranger station to pay for the spot and they didn't waste much time in coming down to 'check' and make sure I was in my own spot.

There was nothing between us and a perfect view of the straits and the Big Mac.

It makes me very sensitive to Enbridge and their leaking oil pipelines as this would be ground zero for a leak.  Probably less than a mile from their pumping station on the north side of the straits.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 01:01:22 PM by BigRedDog »

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #253 on: July 15, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »

We just saw a monarch 'flutter by' the window while we're having lunch.  I think we're seeing more of them around this year.  I go out of my way to not mow a few patches we have that have lots of milkweed. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #254 on: July 15, 2018, 10:23:19 PM »

Seem to have a lot of humming birds this year and I soaked the garden this morning and all the butterflies appreciated that as did the birds.  They were all playing in the sprinkler water, hundreds of birds and butterflies.

Very. very dry here.  grass is brown, corn is fired up, everything is parched.  Not good.  Garden is good though.  Been watering it every other day.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up