MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Nature & Environment

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Nature & Environment  (Read 17667 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Nature & Environment
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2015, 09:03:50 AM »

From the MonroeNews Twitter feed:

Reader pic: Lake Erie near North Shores Monday evening, Kody Lynne Davison's dog (Photo courtesy Lynne Davison).

From:  https://twitter.com/monroenews/status/575273669926113280/photo/1

This looks like the start of a buildup of 'shelf' ice...

very typical for this time of year.  The wind will literally push this stuff like a bulldozer!!!

In some cases it will destroy a house or cottage that's close to the lake!

I've seen it pushing across the road at Stoney Point.  They had to have a small dozer there to keep pushing the pieces either back or on across.  Then a slight shift in wind direction and everything stops!

Don't mess with mother nature ;) ;) ;)
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2015, 03:08:37 AM »

Polluted San Diego sues Monsanto

A new lawsuit by the City of San Diego and the San Diego Unified Port District claims agrochemical corporation Monsanto has been selling and using chemicals the company knew were harmful for the environment, adding that the carelessness of the company helped lead to the current polluted conditions of the San Diego Bay. RT’s Ben Swann speaks to Lindsay France in our Los Angeles studio about the suit and how the people of the city are reacting.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf3gJF4OJqg
This is what I see when I visit:

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is not set to expire."

No emails, no warnings, no communication whatsoever...just that ban

May be what happened to the other libs as well.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Enjoy your spoon-fed Faux News type right-wing echo-chamber.

Edited to add:

This is the only way to answer some of the questions posed:

1) I did nothing to warrant the banishment, it's political.

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2015, 03:09:22 AM »

Chemical lobbyist exposed as author of new bill to regulate industry

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttVzup1JX30

"Sorry Frenchfry, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.

I guess disabling the report to admin link only on the lib side was indicative of the slanted games they play.

Edited to add:

2) It's the router that's blocked but considering all the nonsense right-wing games being played by those running the site...it's just not worth it to bypass the banishment block.

3) The moron stalkers from MT contemplating a visit will be considered a threat and can expect to have a bad day if they act upon those idiotic thoughts.

bumfunkegypt@live.com

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2015, 02:03:19 PM »

I'm experiencing something much different than BRD pic at top of page.  I'm in hot and sunny Tempe AZ visiting granddaughter.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2015, 10:15:07 PM »

http://www.monroenews.com/news/2015/apr/27/study-blames-global-warming-for-75-percent-of/

Who do we blame the cold weather on?    Bring on the warmth!
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2015, 07:16:33 PM »

The ExxonMobil Explosion That Nobody Is Talking About

TORRANCE, CALIFORNIA — Just before 9 a.m. on February 18, the ExxonMobil refinery in Torrance, California exploded, shaking the surrounding community with the force of a 1.7 magnitude earthquake, and sending a quarter ton of sulfur oxide gas into the atmosphere. With the capacity to refine more than 150,000 barrels of gasoline a day, the facility supplies nearly 10 percent of the state’s gasoline supply, and its reduced capacity increased the cost of filling up a tank of gas in California by 6 to 10 cents per gallon.

Workers inside the refinery likened the incident to a “loud sonic boom,” and soon roughly 50 firefighters were battling a three-alarm fire. First responders initially feared the possibility of radioactive materials at the scene, though that concern was ruled out some three hours after the initial explosion.

“When you walk through that gate, you don’t know what’s gonna happen,” one unidentified worker told NBC News in the immediate aftermath of the explosion. “You don’t know if you’re gonna come back out alive; you don’t know if you’re gonna come back out with a limb missing.”

Outside the refinery, a chemical ash rained down on the community for the rest of the day, steadily falling on playgrounds, cars, and backyard gardens. The ash was ejected at such a violent rate that, less than 2 miles southwest of the facility, it blanketed the mobile home park owned by Brad Commiso.

“My property is about 2 and 1/4 acres in size,” Commiso told ThinkProgress, “and 100 percent of it, I mean every square millimeter, was covered in the fallout. My first thought was that it was ash from a fire. I quickly figured out that it wasn’t that, though; it had metallic fiberglass sheen to it. It had weight.”

Commiso quickly drove to the nearest fire station, knocking on the door and asking the officers who answered for an explanation behind the fallout and how to deal with its cleanup.

“They told me that they’d been instructed to send me to ExxonMobil,” said Commiso. “They told me that Exxon would tell me how to clean my property.”

Unsatisfied with this answer, Commiso left his phone number and demanded that a more senior officer contact him.
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2015/04/13/3644173/inside-exxonmobil-explosion-blanketed-town-chemical-ash/

===

Enbridge's aging oil pipelines in Straits of Mackinac need greater public scrutiny
http://www.mlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/03/sunshine_needed_to_illuminate.html#incart_river

===

An eye-popping gif of how oil moves around America

The recent boom in U.S. oil production has meant that more crude oil is traveling by rail in this country than ever before -- and that alarming oil-by-rail accidents are also on the rise. The extent of the crude-by-rail (CBR) boom became crystal clear this week, when the U.S. Energy Information Administration released some nifty maps showing the exponential growth of oil volume traversing the nation's railways. I put those maps in a gif above.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2015/04/02/an-eye-popping-gif-of-how-oil-moves-around-america/

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 12:41:18 AM »

Fire at New York nuclear power plant reignites safety worries

Cleanup is underway at an India Point, New York nuclear power plant after a fire broke out on Saturday, leading to oil leaking into the nearby Hudson River. Alexey Yaroshevsky reports from the scene and speaks to local officials about the plant’s safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mjhRWh-T88

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 09:55:15 PM »

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2015, 01:00:33 AM »

Nitrates in farming manure are polluting water and farmland

Environmentalists and conservationists are concerned about the damage that nitrate-rich manure has been doing to people and the farms it is used on. Lindsay France reports on the controversy from California and details how the manure is polluting water and farmland.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKOjvvgdGAc

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2015, 01:26:08 AM »

The Pipeline That Texans Are Freaking Out Over (Nope, Not Keystone)
The industrialization of one of Texas' last holdouts against the oil and gas industry is beginning.

Earlier this year a couple of billionaires landed a nearly $770 million contract to run a 143-mile-long natural gas pipeline through Texas's pristine Big Bend region. As of May 11, rail shipments of pipe had begun to arrive in Big Bend's Fort Stockton area. This recent progress on the pipeline project is fueling pushback from locals who've been concerned about this project since it was announced in November 2014. Big Bend is one of Texas' last unspoiled wilderness areas and one of few remaining holdouts in a state riddled with energy transmission pipelines and large-scale oil and gas activity. Fearing potential land grabs, increased traffic, and environmental desecration, locals have been mobilizing through town hall meetings and launching activist campaigns to oppose it.

What is the Trans-Pecos pipeline? At 42 inches wide and under 1,400 pounds of pressure per square inch, the Trans-Pecos pipeline will carry as much as 1.4 billion cubic feet of natural gas a day after its projected completion in early 2017. The gas will originate in Texas's Permian Basin, travel the length of the pipeline to the border at Presidio, Texas, and Ojinaga, Mexico, where it will be piped further into Mexico for industrial use and power generation. The project was commissioned by the Mexican Federal Electricity Commission (CFE) as part of the country's push to modernize its energy systems.

A consortium that includes two energy companies, Mexico-based Carso and Texas-based Energy Transfer Partners, won the contract to construct the pipeline in January. Carso is owned by Carlos Slim, the world's second-richest man, who made his original fortune by charging Mexico's phone customers monopoly prices, while levying some of the highest fees disproportionately on the poor.

ETP is led by Republican megadonor and multibillionaire Kelcy Warren of Dallas. In February, the company brought on former Texas Gov. Rick Perry to the company's Board of Directors to offer "strategic guidance to ETP's executive management team," according to a spokeswoman for the company. Even before that, Perry and Warren had ties: Perry has received at least $250,000 in campaign donations from Warren since 2011. ETP is also currently embroiled in a separate controversial pipeline project to transport crude from the Bakken oil fields of North Dakota to Illinois. The company is also facing claims that a representative from a subsidiary offered the services of a teenage prostitute to a landowner in exchange for letting ETP run the crude oil pipeline through his property. "We take these types of matters very seriously and are investigating further," an ETP spokeswoman told KCRG of the claims.

What's controversial about this project? ETP is running construction of the pipeline on the US side of the border, and Big Bend locals are frustrated with what they're calling a lack of transparency from the company. Among their key complaints is confusion from ETP on which agency will provide regulatory oversight for the pipeline. This question hinges on whether the pipeline is designated as "interstate" or "intrastate." The former means that the pipeline is crossing an international border, which would require a Presidential Permit, triggering more rigorous federal guidelines for the pipeline's construction and operation. The latter, "intrastate," would require a T-4 form from the Railroad Commission of Texas, the standard application for a permit to own and operate a pipeline through Texas.

More here:
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/05/texas-pipeline-controversy-trans-pecos

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2015, 01:54:42 AM »

Enbridge oil could be a 'ticking time bomb' for both environmentalists and the Snyder administration

Environmentalist believe it is a "ticking time bomb." And the Snyder administration must be hoping it does not explode between now and the end of June because if it does the Straits of Mackinac may be covered with crude oil.  What a Pure Michigan ad that would make.

The Enbridge company reportedly runs about 23 million gallons of the crude stuff through a 61-year-old pipeline. Although upgrades have been done to the line, DEQ Director Dan Wyant reflects anything that old could spring a leak at any moment. Which is why he and others are working on a report, due out next month, with recommendations to protect the pristine waterways. He hints the company will be asked to beef-up its safeguards.

<snip>

Compounding the problem, the Coast Guard has told the senator a clean-up would be challenging if there was an oil slick in the Straits. It seems the microbes that eat the oil in salt water don't eat the oil in fresh water.
http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/05/enbridge_oil_could_be_a_tickin.html

===

"We believe that a spill in the straits area of this pipeline is imminent," Chairperson Aaron Payment of the Sault Ste. Marie Tribe said at a press conference on Wednesday, according to remarks posted by Soo Today.
Eight tribes have passed resolutions calling for the decommission of the pipeline, Payment said. Four more are planning to do so, representing all 12 federally recognized tribes in the state.
"Mackinac is an Objiwe word for turtle," Payment said. "In these depictions, Mackinac Island will be completely engulfed in oil. Within the amount of time that this unfolds, the island will be engulfed. The water inlets will be completely destroyed. There will be a very narrow window for people to be evacuated."
http://www.indianz.com/News/2015/017648.asp

===

Pipeline protesters interrupt Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder at Mackinac conference
http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2015/05/pipeline_protesters_interrupt.html

===

Zebra mussels corroding Straits of Mackinac oil pipeline, claims environmental coalition
http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/05/shut_down_line_5_enbridge.html

===

This Aging Oil Pipeline Is In Great Lakes' 'Worst Possible Place' For A Spill
Environmental activists say Michigan’s tourism slogan -- “Pure Michigan” -- may no longer be accurate unless the state takes stronger action to prevent a 62-year-old oil pipeline from rupturing in a sensitive waterway.

The pipeline, called Line 5, is owned by the Canadian energy company Enbridge, carrying nearly 23 million gallons of crude oil and natural gas liquids every day. It passes between the state’s upper and lower peninsulas, along the bottom of the Straits of Mackinac, which connects Lake Huron and Lake Michigan. East of the pipeline is the iconic Mackinac Bridge, depicted on many of the state’s license plates, and Mackinac Island, an historic, no-cars resort area.

A coalition of local businesses, municipalities, Native American tribes and environmental and conservation advocates -- the “Oil and Water Don’t Mix” coalition -- are concerned that the straits’ strong currents and corrosion-causing forces could cause the pipeline to rupture, creating a catastrophic oil spill that would spread into the Great Lakes, which contain a fifth of the world’s fresh surface water.

Those who want Enbridge to repair, replace or remove the pipeline have a powerful example of what could go wrong: A newer Enbridge pipeline ruptured in 2010, spilling 1 million gallons of heavy crude oil into the Kalamazoo River -- the largest and most expensive onshore oil spill in U.S. history. Cleanup is ongoing. Enbridge and the state reached a $75 million settlement last week to restore or create damaged wetlands on top of the $1 billion the company has spent to clean up the oil.

Enbridge pipelines experienced more than 1,000 leaks in the U.S. and Canada from 1999 to 2013.

The Line 5 section that runs under the straits is part of Enbridge’s 1,900-mile Lakehead network. It does not carry the heavy bitumen oil drawn from Canada’s oil sands region, which is what spilled into the Kalamazoo River.

For the past year, environmental advocates have demanded more state oversight, through public hearings, press releases and rallies. They cite the fact that it took 17 hours for Enbridge to respond to the Kalamazoo River spill.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/22/michigan-enbridge-pipeline_n_7308734.html

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2015, 01:12:08 AM »

Samaritan reports orphaned baby moose in forest, authorities blow it up

A Good Samaritan in Montana was disheartened to learn that the state’s fish, wildlife and park officials had shot and blown up an orphaned baby moose he reported to them. The government officials killed the orphaned moose next to the carcasses of its mother and another stillborn calf after Josh Hohm, the man who found the baby animal, went home after reporting his finding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16UOSRyI6jw

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
Oil pipeline plan moving forward over Pittsfield Township's opposition
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2015, 01:26:31 AM »

Oil pipeline plan moving forward over Pittsfield Township's opposition

http://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/index.ssf/2015/05/oil_pipeline_plan_moving_forwa.html

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

Frenchfry

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2015, 07:57:40 AM »

Google Maps Launches Ocean View to Celebrate the Spectacular Undersea World

Google celebrated World Oceans Day, June 8, with something interesting. In conjunction with the XL Catlin Seaview Survey team, Google released 40 new underwater Street View Locations, including ones in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

Google actually placed submerged cameras in 20 spots in the Great Barrier Reef, the largest reef in the world. This location is home to great white sharks, box jellyfish, colorful sea slugs and hundreds of different species of fish.

The XL Catlin Seaview Survey itself is a scientific project with the aim to create a baseline record of the world's coral reefs in high-resolution, 360-degree panoramic vision. These pictures may allow scientists, policymakers and the public to see what changes these reefs are undergoing.

You can actually see the reefs for yourself in Google Streetview.

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/26463/20150609/google-maps-launches-ocean-view-celebrate-spectacular-undersea-world.htm

Edited to add:

bumfunkegypt@live.com

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2015, 08:10:46 AM »

Google Maps Launches Ocean View to Celebrate the Spectacular Undersea World

Google celebrated World Oceans Day, June 8, with something interesting. In conjunction with the XL Catlin Seaview Survey team, Google released 40 new underwater Street View Locations, including ones in the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

Google actually placed submerged cameras in 20 spots in the Great Barrier Reef, the largest reef in the world. This location is home to great white sharks, box jellyfish, colorful sea slugs and hundreds of different species of fish.

The XL Catlin Seaview Survey itself is a scientific project with the aim to create a baseline record of the world's coral reefs in high-resolution, 360-degree panoramic vision. These pictures may allow scientists, policymakers and the public to see what changes these reefs are undergoing.

You can actually see the reefs for yourself in Google Streetview.

http://www.scienceworldreport.com/articles/26463/20150609/google-maps-launches-ocean-view-celebrate-spectacular-undersea-world.htm

I wonder how long it will be before some gal is on there 'flashing' :o :o :o ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:18:54 AM by BigRedDog »
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up