MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Gardening thread... What have you planted this spring...?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Gardening thread... What have you planted this spring...?  (Read 4563 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Gardening thread... What have you planted this spring...?
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2017, 03:00:22 PM »

I have a Tenpoint as well, in fact two of them.  Had an issue with one - great customer service.  A deadly accurate weapon for sure.

One is enough for me.  I agree, fantastic customer service and a lifetime no hassle guarantee.  They even sent me a prepaid ship label for the return to them in Mogadore, Ohio.  I got new limbs, updated cams, new bow string, new trigger box and the even replace all my Luminocks because the new trigger box takes a flat nock and mine were dimpled.  Hunter Manufacturing is top shelf.

I'm a gun guy.  The bow just extends my season.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2017, 03:01:44 PM »

First thing today. Dust the cukes.

I haven't but I will this afternoon.  Mine are going crazy growing everywhere.  Must be the 46 Urea.,,lol

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2017, 08:12:45 PM »

Well it started. Pretty long vine of cukes all wither up tonight.  I cut it off and threw in garbage can.  I still have most of the 3 plants doing ok. 

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2017, 11:35:55 PM »

Well it started. Pretty long vine of cukes all wither up tonight.  I cut it off and threw in garbage can.  I still have most of the 3 plants doing ok.

Nothing here.  been religiously doing the Sevin.  I have cukes coming out my ears, literally.  I loaded up a pump sprayer with Sevin concentrate, too far to drag the hose end sprayer.

Give them some more dust....  If you run out of cukes, we have plenty to give away.  been having cukes in vinegar every night.  been doing the corn and the tomatoes too.  If it rains tonight, I'll douse them in the morning.  The cucumber and zuchini plants are alive every morning with bees.  Sounds like an airport over there.....  lots of little planes....lol

The zuchini looks like a hedgerow and the cukes have taken over two rows of onions.  Got to be that 46 Urea.  The corn across the road is at least 12 feet tall.  Never seen field corn that tall.  he uses 46 too.

After 8 dry years, I'm never going to get cuked out. ;D
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:38:45 PM by SidecarFlip »

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #79 on: July 22, 2017, 09:23:53 AM »

Cukes look ok this morning. When threat of rain over I'll dust again..
Next time to hardware I'll pick up liquid and another 1-1/2 gal sprayer. They are $8..

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2017, 04:59:31 PM »

Picked a 3 gallon pail full this AM.  If anyone wants some, let me know.  I'll see Maverick next week, I bet he takes some hone... ;D

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2017, 05:01:04 PM »

Been using the liquid concentrate right along.  Menards has it for 7 bucks in the pint size, 13 in the quart sixe in the lawn and garden section (outside)...

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2017, 07:14:03 PM »

Picked a 3 gallon pail full this AM.  If anyone wants some, let me know.  I'll see Maverick next week, I bet he takes some hone... ;D
You bet. My dad supplies me for the most part but this time of year you can't have too much fresh garden stuff
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2017, 10:33:50 PM »

Stacked up on the sink like cordwood..... ;D

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2017, 06:41:07 AM »

I like cukes but some people really do.  I took a few to the gym and gave to a young gal that works there.  She ate them like a banana.. She hadn't heard of a burpless one

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »

I like cukes but some people really do.  I took a few to the gym and gave to a young gal that works there.  She ate them like a banana.. She hadn't heard of a burpless one

Trying to get a date?   lol

I like to cut the end off, add some salt and munch away.  CL made some in sour cream this afternoon...for dinner I suspect.  I sliced up the bigger ones, they are in a big bowl soaking in saltwater for doing dill pickles tomorrow.

Never been to a gym.  I get all the physical exercise I need right here farming and working on the houses and seven acres.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2017, 05:58:24 PM »

We just had a boomer with rain.  Guess I'll be spraying the cukes again tomorrow...  (after picking another bucket full).

You can find my cukes, zuchinni , soon tomatoes, sweet corn and potatoes at John's vegetable stand on Old Route 223, across from Ottawa Lake Co-op at Yankee road...  and lots of other stuff too.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 06:00:40 PM by SidecarFlip »

Newport-Bill

• Super Talker
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2017, 09:31:10 PM »

Picked my first zucchini tonight.  The flood of them will start mid to late week.  Cucumbers probably a week away.  Got some blossoms on my cantaloupe and several golf ball size pumpkins forming.
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2017, 10:08:21 PM »

Nothing as good as homegrown melons that ripen on the vine..
I've been babying the cukes.  Still doing ok after getting rid of one withered vine.  They looked wilted yesterday probably because it hasn't rained. I put hose on them for 10 min.  Seem ok again
Tomatoes just starting
I picked a couple of giant Marconi peppers after they turned red.  They are be best on the grill.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2017, 10:36:17 PM »

We are positively awash in cucumbers.  Been picking a couple gallons every day but they are slowing down a bit, been watering them nightly and then dusting them with liquid Sevin in the morning.  I have a carpet of them crossing 3 rows of onions.  Every morning, sounds like an airport out there with all the bees buzzing around pollinating.

Picked a few tomatoes the other day.  Planted the bush Big Boys.  CL says they are good.  I only like tomatoes cooked and canned.

CL already did one load of dill pickles and there is another load soaking in brine right now for tomorrow afternoon.

Been giving away Zuichini's for weeks now, most go to Joyce's Market on Old US 23 at Yankee Road to be made into bread. Had some monsters already.

The Ambrosia has cobbed out, waiting for the silk to turn brown so I can shuck the cobs and freeze the corn in bags.

Potatoes (i have about 1/2 acre of potatoes), are all in blossom and the onions (red and white are getting big.

Been a good year so far.  Need a bit of rain this week however.

Pretty hard to beat 46 Urea for jump starting everything.

John got in a load of fantastic plums and garlic and a load of Amish made preserves.  I grabbed a jar of strawberry and a jar of salsa too.

Has really nice sweet corn and I would have gotten some but I have my own.

If you get a chance swing by his market, he has excellent produce and excellent prices...Old US 223 across from Ottawa Lake Elevator at Yankee Road (shameless plug).  John is a good guy.  Told me that business is over the top now that Andersons is gone.  No place to buy fresh locally grown produce anymore but his place....

CL's dill pickles look good in the jars.  bet they taste good too.  Have to wait for a few weeks for the flavors to mingle in the jars....

Next on the agenda will be blanching corn and stripping cobs to freeze.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up