MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline  (Read 14571 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2016, 06:44:26 PM »

I'm all about it.  Not the paltry 650 grand penalty that exists now because the line isn't considered offshore.  make it like an offshore installation with no cap on penalty..

BTW, a little update on going under the Maumee at 475.  Been watching closely almost everyday...

There is a huge directional boring rig on the south side of the river, biggest I've ever seen, with it's snout angled down maybe 20 degrees, I presume they are boring under the river bed...

On the north side, they have pipe laid in chocks in 3 not the normal pipe (with the light green cladding they have been setting), but this pipe has a black or dark brown cladding or sheath on it and the outermost line of pipe (closest to the Interstate, at the river end, has a weldment on the end with a big pull ring attached  BIG.  It's attached to a tapered weldment that ends at the pipe itself.  The pipe is (close as I can tell from the roadway_ 24-30 inches in diameter.

I surmise that they are directional boring under the river bed and when they get to the other side, they will attach the BIG ring to a even BIGGER winch and PULL THE PIPE THROUGH THE BORE.  They won't be able to make it in one pull, there isn't enough room to weld all the sections together so they will have to stop and weld, maybe 2 times.

They have been working 24/7 all last week and this week too.

A little update...
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 09:47:49 AM »

External inspections of Line 5 are underway...   a remote controlled submarine using sonar.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/06/09/enbridge-inspects-mackinac-pipelines-debate-swirls/85677600/

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2016, 10:12:03 AM »

And one of the biggest dangers to a pipeline anywhere is mankind...

I have trouble comprehending how he could not 'know' where the pipeline ran across his own property :-\ :-\ :-\

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2016/06/diesel_pipeline_repaired_clean.html#incart_river_home

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2016, 11:29:32 AM »

The boring under the Maumee is finished, all the equipment has left and the pipeline company is making the hookups to each end.  All that remains to be seen is the entrance excavation (surrounded by a black plastic film fence) and the exit, same thing.  Looks like the Line 5 entrance into the Straits.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 11:20:42 AM »

Rather than put $7M toward replacing the pipes themselves they're buying that much 'high tech' recovery equipment to have on hand for 'when' it does leak :-\ :-\ :-\

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/michigan/2016/06/21/enbridge-oil-straits-mackinac/86161434/

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 01:08:16 PM »

In Traverse City saw some Enbridge vehicles driving around - and signs that say stop pipeline #5 (or something to that order)
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2016, 09:33:57 PM »

I sincerely hope I'm not alive when it ruptures....  and it will at some point.  The finger pointing and the postulation will be unbelieveable.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2016, 10:39:18 AM »

I sincerely hope I'm not alive when it ruptures....  and it will at some point.  The finger pointing and the postulation will be unbelieveable.

Not to mention all the attorneys that will get rich from all the legal issues!!!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2016, 07:41:25 PM »

And the Government fines that will come rolling on in!
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2016, 09:20:24 AM »

The latest...

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/enbridge_to_pay_35m_for_michig.html#incart_river_home

I see there was a demonstration at Schuette's house in Midland last week.  They dumped chocolate syrup to simulate the oil spill.  No one arrested so one of the Tea Party legislators from Midland has introduced some new legislation making it more difficult for people to enjoy their 'right to assemble and protest'...

He's a perfect example of don't touch my part of the constitution (2nd Amendment) but excuse me while I make laws to infringe on your part of the Constitution (1st Amendment)!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2016, 08:45:21 PM »

I don't have any faith in Shittey at all.  He's just posturing to be governor.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 07:24:11 AM »

Some time back (maybe even a few years) I was looking for a good easy to use map of all the pipelines across Monroe County.  I finally did run across this one that seems to be serving my needs pretty good. 

You need to use the 'public option' on the right:

https://www.npms.phmsa.dot.gov/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 01:05:24 PM »

Interesting map.  I have a pipeline under my property in Mecosta Township that according to the map...goes nowhere...  I do have the warning stanchions on the property (in the woods) but they are unmarked as to product or pressure.

Must have been there a long time as there is no evidence of a right of way at all.... and there is no recorded easement on the deed or mention of a pipeline but it shows on the map.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up