MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline  (Read 14521 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Why Michigan won't shut down the Mackinac straits oil pipeline
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 01:07:20 PM »

Now, my curiosity is aroused.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2016, 07:28:51 AM »

Interesting map.  I have a pipeline under my property in Mecosta Township that according to the map...goes nowhere...  I do have the warning stanchions on the property (in the woods) but they are unmarked as to product or pressure.

Must have been there a long time as there is no evidence of a right of way at all.... and there is no recorded easement on the deed or mention of a pipeline but it shows on the map.

Cut down some of your brush and trees and pile them in a big pile right over the pipeline and set them afire...

you'll find out soon enough if there is anything in the ground or not :) :) :)

Interesting that it shows on the map but certainly sounds like it's been abandoned.  I'm sure there are plenty of inaccuracies in that map.  What I've found so far in Monroe County seems pretty close but really no way to know if they're still pumping product through all of them.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2016, 10:00:57 AM »

Here's just a little bit of history on Enbridge and some of their prior spills...

does NOT make me feel any better about them continuing the use of a pipeline as old as Line 5 >:( >:( >:(

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/07/major_announcement_pending_on.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Schuette: Enbridge violating Straits of Mackinac pipeline agreement
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2016, 11:07:18 AM »

Well, sounds like Schuette got this one right...

but even a watch that is broken will be right twice a day 8) 8) 8)

http://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2016/08/03/ag-bill-schuette-enbridge-violating-straits-pipeline-easement/88039662/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »

Like I maintain, it's not IF, it's WHEN

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2016, 02:19:29 PM »

23 million gallons of product daily is a helluva lot of pollution...  Could you imagine (I don't want to) if the line busted when the straits were frozen over?  Not if, it's when...

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2016, 04:30:43 PM »

Just because she was a oil/gas libbiyst for BP she says that won't affect the way she does her job.  We believe you.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2016, 09:38:20 PM »

Isn't that one of the 4 greatest lies...  I'm from the government and I'm here to help you'............ ;D

Good pick....Rick

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2016, 09:30:55 AM »

Isn't that one of the 4 greatest lies...  I'm from the government and I'm here to help you'............ ;D

Good pick....Rick

I did a quick Google search to see if I could find a tee shirt with 'good pick rick' on it...

this photo came up on the very first page ;D ;D ;D

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2016, 09:49:33 AM »

I wonder what the final bill was to mitigate this 'spill'...

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2016/08/oil_spill_in_farm_field_all_cl.html#incart_river_home

and I wonder who will end up paying the bill?

There aren't enough real details in this story to make sense of what the real cause was.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2016, 12:12:09 PM »

I've always felt it was inattentiveness on the part of the operators.  You don't pump that much product with an obvious pressure drop over a period of time without taking note of it.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2016, 02:33:47 PM »

I've always felt it was inattentiveness on the part of the operators.  You don't pump that much product with an obvious pressure drop over a period of time without taking note of it.

You would think.

It is bad practice pumping your product out into nature where it is hard to sell.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2016, 06:10:16 PM »

You would think.

It is bad practice pumping your product out into nature where it is hard to sell.

Wasn't hard to sell really, they had to buy it back and then some....

The whole thing reeks of antiquated equipment and lax safeguards.  Modern up to date pipelines have automatic pressure sensing so when a pressure drop is detected, the line shuts down at the closest monitoring station, it don't keep spewing product for hours on end.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2016, 09:55:16 AM »

Wasn't hard to sell really, they had to buy it back and then some....

The whole thing reeks of antiquated equipment and lax safeguards.  Modern up to date pipelines have automatic pressure sensing so when a pressure drop is detected, the line shuts down at the closest monitoring station, it don't keep spewing product for hours on end.

The  technology and the equipment are both available...  just a matter of coughing up the $$$...

got to spend money to make (or in this case 'save') money! 

I wish there was more info in the original article...   I'm curious what the farmer was using to get deep enough to hit the pipe in the first place.

Sometimes (especially in an area with lots of 'blow' sand) the 'cover' dirt has slowly eroded over the years and suddenly the pipes aren't as deep in the ground as they were originally (assuming nobody fudged the numbers back when they were originally put in the ground).

I was at a 10 acre parcel out on Luly road in Jackman many years ago when the Panhandle Eastern tech came out to 'locate' the actual location of the 3 pipelines that cross the property.  This was before we had Google maps where you can pretty well see where they are quite often. 

This was all in 'blow' sand...   He had a 5' probe and was explaining that the pipes should be down about 48".  Down in the low spot they were all at about 48" but as we moved up the hill (slight rise more than a real hill) they pipes got shallower and shallower.  We found one that was only down about 16"...   easily within striking distance in certain situations!!!

Most of these lines have just been put in the ground and forgotten about for 50-60-70+ years...

if they spring a leak they fix it and hope the fine isn't too high...   as long as they keep 'lobbying' their favorite legislator$ the fines do stay pretty low...

way cheaper to pay the fine than it would be to actually do preventive maintenance >:( >:( >:(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17   Go Up