MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Memorial Day 2018 Observance

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memorial Day 2018 Observance  (Read 324 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: Memorial Day 2018 Observance
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:02:28 AM »

Memorial day to many Americans means not much more than a 3 day weekend.  The true meaning behind it was lost decades ago in the liberal swamp of convoluted ideas.

First day of summer...  3 day weekend....  Time to get loaded and still go to work on Tuesday without a hangover...

People in this country have shore memories.  They go from one 'sensational' media story to another.  What happened a week ago is 'old news'.  It'w what is happening NOW that is important.  memorial Day isn't 'happening now'.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 10:50:53 AM »

The liberals hate the military because they suck up all the money that could be used to support illegal citizens, welfare rats, planned parenthood etc etc..
Military holidays were ignored, esp under obozo

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 09:47:03 AM »

Here's an interesting 'observance' for Memorial Day.

Take the time to read this not all that long article about the mostly forgotten and only WW2 battle fought in North America. 

https://www.stripes.com/lifestyle/military-history/bloody-but-forgotten-wwii-battle-still-haunts-soldiers-1.529602

Here's a Google map for those that are geographically challenged!

https://goo.gl/maps/WxGwacxGaS22

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 01:06:51 PM »

As a proud US Army Veteran I never object to a nice polite "thank you for your service" or even better a quick conversation with another veteran. 

It does appear that in this day and age there is a lot of confusion on the meaning of Memorial Day as opposed to the meaning of Veterans Day.

Memorial Day is to honor those who gave their lives serving our country while Veterans Day is a special day to honor all of our Veterans and active duty gals and guys of the armed services. 

Q. What is the difference between Veterans Day and Memorial Day?

A. Many people confuse Memorial Day and Veterans Day. Memorial Day is a day for remembering and honoring military personnel who died in the service of their country, particularly those who died in battle or as a result of wounds sustained in battle. While those who died are also remembered, Veterans Day is the day set aside to thank and honor ALLthose who served honorably in the military - in wartime or peacetime. In fact, Veterans Day is largely intended to thank LIVING veterans for their service, to acknowledge that their contributions to our national security are appreciated, and to underscore the fact that all those who served - not only those who died - have sacrificed and done their duty.

The above and lots of other good info at:

https://www.va.gov/opa/vetsday/vetday_faq.asp

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »

I want to take a moment to think of Art Owens - my former Scoutmaster - for his service.

Art was a quiet guy who taught us all sorts of skills - how to move through the woods silently at night, how to live off the land, and how to back up your friends.

I didn't think about it much at the time, but Art was a Green Beret, and he did multiple tours in Viet Nam.

Besides knowing that he had done that - he never talked about it.  It was just a line on his resume.  You would never know he could do that from looking at him, but every now and again he would show you a flash that he had mad skills that most people don't even dream of.

He passed away several years ago now, from a very rare and aggressive Cancer that almost no one gets.  It's easy to speculate that his time in the service exposed him to things that promoted that, but again, he never pointed at that, and just went down after a short battle where he gave it all he had.

I find it ironic that he survived who knows what, only to make it home, and lose his life just short of retirement.  I know he still made a sacrifice, and gave this country all he had, and I thank him and other like him for their service.

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: [1]   Go Up