MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > Things are heating up in Summerfield Township.....

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Down

Author Topic: Things are heating up in Summerfield Township.....  (Read 20248 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Things are heating up in Summerfield Township.....
« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2016, 07:31:18 PM »

Summerfield Township Supervisors giving his Lenawee County neighbors a hand!!!

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20160510/summerfield-township-supervisor-intervenes-on-injection-well-proposal

Mr. Chandler wrote a letter to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency asking it to hold a hearing on a drilling project proposed in Raisin Township. He said he filed an appeal during a public comment period saying a hearing was needed to inform residents about the unstable geology in the area and the risk of damage to the historic Chandler Cemetery.

Relatives of his?
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2016, 08:09:43 PM »

Not sure.  I asked CL after you left and she don't know either.  I'll ask John (Chandler) when I see him this week.  John is a good guy, least in my opinion.  When he believes in something, he don't back down.

Always fun to talk to him....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #272 on: September 17, 2016, 08:01:35 PM »

Here's a timely article on what can easily happen in an area prone to sinkholes...

interesting that this company also says there's nothing to worry about!!!

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-mosaic-sinkhole-idUSKCN11M1QW

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Firm withdraws permit for injection well in Lenawee
« Reply #273 on: October 24, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20161023/firm-withdraws-permit-for-injection-well-in-lenawee

Interesting the photo they used for the article ;D ;D ;D

Now the 'big' question...

have all these well companies learned their lessons and are no longer going to attempt to pollute our water sources...

or...

and this is my guess...

will we see Walberg (or one of his cronies if he loses) introducing legislation that prohibits state and local 'interference' with efforts to prevent pollution  >:( >:( >:(

My guess is that's the way it will eventually turn out :o :o :o

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #274 on: October 24, 2016, 03:04:43 PM »

Another good reason to vote Walberg OUT!
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #275 on: April 15, 2018, 04:44:03 PM »

Apparently the law preventing injecting into Karst regions never went anywhere!

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180415/abandoned-oil-wells-on-summerfield-agenda

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #276 on: April 15, 2018, 09:15:26 PM »

No, it did not.

Now Zorn is proposing administrative rule changes in DEQ procedures.  However, the oil company geologist still determines if there is karst or not.  Last time the oil company said Summerfield Township did not have karst even though the U.S. Geological Survey says there is karst and so do other experts. 
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #277 on: April 16, 2018, 08:27:15 AM »

Zorn (in my opinion) talks a good game and gives that appearance of being for the 'people' when in reality he's a typical do nothing politician, only concerned with advancing his own agenda and securing his retirement.

IOW, just like Walberg, tells you what you want to hear and does what he wants to.  Just another 'get elected' twit.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #278 on: April 16, 2018, 10:30:19 PM »

IOW, just like Walberg, tells you what you want to hear and does what he wants to.  Just another 'get elected' twit.

Isn't that what politicians do for a living...    work towards that next election
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #279 on: April 16, 2018, 10:41:08 PM »

Isn't that what politicians do for a living...    work towards that next election

Making promises (lying) to get elected.  Found out tonight that Bill Lavoy is going to run for Zorn's seat, supposedly..  If he does, he has my vote.  While he gives a percentage of lip service, I will say that he at least makes an attempt to do the right ting, unlike Zorn, who does nothing.

I missed the meeting at the Township Hall this evening.  CL told me that Zorn and Lavoy were going at it big time.  Kind of sorry I didn't go, I would have egged Lavoy on.... ;D

I see Zorn as the classic pot bellied professional politician with nothing left of his self esteem.  Total waste of air.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #280 on: April 19, 2018, 09:08:54 AM »

I can't believe that Summerfield is the first municipality to attempt to use a zoning clause to become involved in the permitting process. 

I see the potential for a huge law$uit in the future over this issue. 

I'm afraid the oil lobby may end up with deeper pockets than Summerfield Township has. 

The oil lobby is quite happy with the current process...

only a few greedy hands to pay off and a permit is almost automatic!

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180418/summerfield-wants-more-say-in-oil-well-permits

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #281 on: April 19, 2018, 10:54:27 AM »

The township doesn't have the authority to enforce the ordinance that they are proposing so at the very least it will give them grounds to make a BIG stink if another well is proposed. That should draw attention to the process at that time and maybe keep oil drillers out of the area.
Chandler knows it's not enforceable but is Summerfields best option until legislation can be put in place for Karst areas like Monroe County. Chandler is very proactive and is basically the reason anybody else in the state is paying attention. If it wasn't for his efforts we would have a new disposal well up and running already !!
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #282 on: April 19, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »

The township doesn't have the authority to enforce the ordinance that they are proposing so at the very least it will give them grounds to make a BIG stink if another well is proposed. That should draw attention to the process at that time and maybe keep oil drillers out of the area.
Chandler knows it's not enforceable but is Summerfields best option until legislation can be put in place for Karst areas like Monroe County. Chandler is very proactive and is basically the reason anybody else in the state is paying attention. If it wasn't for his efforts we would have a new disposal well up and running already !!

The good news is that it does not appear that they have hit anything but dry holes in the last couple of years. 

Sometimes it only takes one very motivated person to accomplish a lot!!!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #283 on: April 20, 2018, 07:46:26 AM »

There is more going on out here than is being talked about to the public.  If scorn Zorn would quite dragging his fat feet and did what he was supposed to do instead of constantly stumping (and lying) to his constitutients,  things would be a lot farther along.  Some of the statements from governmental agencies like 'is it really a Karst Region, the 'company geologists (oil company that is), say no' really fly in the face of what is right and just.  I really hope Bill Lavoy runs against Zorn.  Zorn needs to go.  He's like Walberg, a 2 faced lying professional politician that is only concerned about his own well being, getting 'party favors' from the powerful lobbyists in Lansing and not about what the 'people on the ground' want.

Knowing John personally, I can vouch for his principles.  He's all about the 'right thing' for Summerfield Township residents and Monroe County in general in as much as the entire county is porous limestone geology.

Zorn isn't and neither is Walberg.  2 turds that get voted in by complacient, ill informed voters.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #284 on: April 20, 2018, 08:00:38 AM »

The good news is that it does not appear that they have hit anything but dry holes in the last couple of years. 

Sometimes it only takes one very motivated person to accomplish a lot!!!

The hole across the road actually 'pumped' a couple tanker loads of crude before it petered out.  If you want to drive out, we can walk back there and you can see what a mess it is.  You can see the contaminated water all around it, the full and overflowing containment pit and all the junk left.  No fence, no public restriction, nothing.  Just a crap hole in the middle of a farm field.  It's been 'sold' 3 times now. (according to state records) but nothing what so ever has been 'done' to it.

Now, the talk is of reopening it and drilling 'horizontally' to an existing well.  The only ones I know of are the 3 holes north of Cake Road, 2, next to the road way that have been dry for at least a decade and I presume not plugged and one a bit farther north that was poked about 10 years ago next to the Spohr homestead that never did squat.

The producing well (on Deerfield Road) is owned by another concern and is maintained and fenced so I'm thinking the horizontal bore will be to the Cake Road holes and that puts the bore directly under our farm.  I will state here that if it's the case and they destroy our well, I'll litigate it.  O have the funds and a very zealous attorney that loves stuff like this.
 These people need to be held accountable for their actions and how those actions impact ordinary citizens and in my opinion, the MDNR is spineless.  They are more concerned with wetland mitigation and preserving mosquito's than anything else.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20   Go Up