MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Nature & Environment > North to Alaska...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: North to Alaska...  (Read 2375 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: North to Alaska...
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2017, 10:19:04 PM »

My wife and I had a female Canadian border agent read us the riot act about having hand guns even though we obviously didn't have them entering Canada.  I don't know how we got to the matter..I think maybe she ask if we had guns.  And my wife said something about concealed and why we couldn't bring into Canada.

When crossing the border, best bet it so keep your mouth shut, answer questions directly, insert no comments and be polite.  Let me tell you, you have no rights when crossing the border.  That agent is God and you'd better meet the correct profile or you are in deep shitte.

NEVER, NEVER INTERJECT ANYTHING.  Just yes mam, no mam or yes sir, no sir.  Border / Customs agents aren't friendly and are trained not to be.  I know a few personally.  The ones I know are hard to get to know and that is on purpose.  They are trained to be that way.

I have no desire to go to Canada or Alaska (even though our friends wanted us to go with them.  Everything I want to do, I can do here in this country and as far as Alaska goes, it's just like the northern UP but much, much larger.  I don't need or want to go there.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 08:35:41 AM »

When crossing the border, best bet it so keep your mouth shut, answer questions directly, insert no comments and be polite.  Let me tell you, you have no rights when crossing the border.  That agent is God and you'd better meet the correct profile or you are in deep shitte.

NEVER, NEVER INTERJECT ANYTHING.  Just yes mam, no mam or yes sir, no sir.  Border / Customs agents aren't friendly and are trained not to be.  I know a few personally.  The ones I know are hard to get to know and that is on purpose.  They are trained to be that way.

I have no desire to go to Canada or Alaska (even though our friends wanted us to go with them.  Everything I want to do, I can do here in this country and as far as Alaska goes, it's just like the northern UP but much, much larger.  I don't need or want to go there.

That's good advice for anytime you're dealing with LE!!!
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2017, 09:28:48 AM »

The American agents aren't any different.  They are a-holes too.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2017, 10:12:48 AM »

The American agents aren't any different.  They are a-holes too.

I'll take deference to that.  They have a job to do and are very highly trained to do that job.  Like I stated before, I personally know 2 and both of them are really descent people and friendly.  However, when they put on their 'professional face', they become and act professional, not an a'hole at all.

They have a job to do and just because you are John Q. Citizen don't mean the car behind you isn't loaded with crack heads or smuggling dope and has handguns hidden under the seat or is being driven by a felon.  The Customs agents see it all and do it all.  You'd get 'hardened' to dealing with that crap every day too.

Like I said, keep your mouth shut, never interject any comment, answer their questions directly and to the point and above all, make and maintain eye contact when answering.  They are trained to look for things like aviodance of eye contact and subtle body language that displays lying, and concealment of contraband.

You don't ever want to be told to 'pull into the holding area'.  At that point you become a piece of meat and believe me, they will go through you personally, physically and your vehicle and it's contents.  If they even suspect you are smuggling drugs, they will do a cavity search.  They will tear your vehicle apart and search your luggage if they suspect illegal firearms....and they don't put your stuff back either or put your vehicle back together if the don't find anything contraband, that is your baby.

Far as the long gun comment previously, thats bullshitte and I know the rules.  While I've never taken a long gun or shotgun to Canada, I do personally know US Customs agents and DEA people and it's been discussed.

There was mitigating circumstances and / or probable cause for denial involved.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2017, 01:44:52 PM »

Ok. Not all of them.  I encountered one in the Toronoto airport that was just looking to be nasty.  My friend walked up to his booth without being called their.  The agent made him stand there like forever. Joe finally said something. The agent told him to go back in line.  When he got to the front again he waited for the hand signal. This time they took him and did a strip search and thorough questioning. 

nails

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »

Thats bullshitte. 
Anyway,  You have to have ownership documentation plus your passport and a certified copy of your birth cert.  Thats it.
Your people obviously had something amiss.

Could be. I wasn't there. But, my cousin and his wife are pretty straight. Maybe he was missing a piece of documentation. If he says the agent told him they wouldn't allow RV'ers to generally travel with firearms, I believe him.  Might be different if you are on a hunting trip.
Just conversation . . . and maybe a little instigation . . . for your rumination.

Curmudgeon in training.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2017, 09:27:47 AM »

One down side to the 'highway' is in many stretches it is the only road in the area and you just don't back up a mile and go 'around' the block to get around a traffic incident.  At least the RV people can just sit patiently and have many of the comforts of home.  It was more of an inconvenience for the locals that couldn't get around.

This vehicle crashed yesterday in Canada and had the road closed for several hours. 

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/north/alaska-highway-closed-tanker-truck-rollover-1.4173030

Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 09:36:54 AM »

If this doesn't open in the 'earth' view then click on that.  You can see several short stretches of the 'old' or original highway before they put a lot of effort into straightening out some of the stretches.  They were against a ticking clock when they originally built the road so it was built where it was the easiest or the fastest. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Whitehorse,+YT,+Canada/@60.8126643,-135.2120879,2194m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x5154449880bc5381:0xe43db7ea64d0354b!8m2!3d60.7211871!4d-135.0568449

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »

More info and pictures from the blocked road yesterday.  I like this creative guy who had to get his inlaws to the airport so he used the 'highway' the old timers used before the highway was built...   took them by boat on the river!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/alaska-highway-closed-tanker-truck-rollover-1.4173030

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police Force has a drone they use for traffic incidents:

They have some very nice emergency response vehicles:

This is the tweet I snagged the two photos above from:

https://twitter.com/YukonRCMP/status/877966112914370561/photo/1

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 08:40:20 AM »

I found this in the local Fairbanks news from earlier this month.  Gives some brief history and some places worth visiting.

http://www.newsminer.com/visitors_guide/miles-of-adventure-await-along-the-alaska-highway/article_2ec5cf6a-4805-11e7-aa9a-2386f469c18c.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »

A YouTube on crossing the border with minimum issues:

TOP 10 DON’TS WHEN CROSSING THE US AND CANADA BORDER

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up