MonroeTalks.com > Categories > News > In the News This Morning

Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329   Go Down

Author Topic: In the News This Morning  (Read 229042 times)

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
Re: In the News This Morning
« Reply #4905 on: February 12, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »

I'm actually curious about the president after Trump because there's no one worthy at this moment.

Oh boy...
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4906 on: February 12, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »

I'm actually curious about the president after Trump because there's no one worthy at this moment.

You aren't on the Oprah bandwagon?

Or how about Michelle?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4907 on: February 12, 2018, 03:59:27 PM »

It is an interesting topic......I think I will be surprised if he runs gain!

Biden still keeps his name out there so he is not forgotten.  Not sure what other Democrats would want to run....probably depends on what Trump decides to do.  Perhaps Maxine Waters would run....now THAT would be of some entertainment value.

Republicans......hummmm, I imagine it will look like the same field of Establishment brokers who ran against Trump.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4908 on: February 12, 2018, 06:16:23 PM »

LOL - Impeach Maxine!

It rhymes!

She has my vote.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4909 on: February 13, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »

It is an interesting topic......I think I will be surprised if he runs gain!

Biden still keeps his name out there so he is not forgotten.  Not sure what other Democrats would want to run....probably depends on what Trump decides to do.  Perhaps Maxine Waters would run....now THAT would be of some entertainment value.

Republicans......hummmm, I imagine it will look like the same field of Establishment brokers who ran against Trump.

I hope so but he may not.  Don't think he realized how focked up Washington really is.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4910 on: February 13, 2018, 10:14:41 PM »

I'm curious about who decided to join and make this their first post ;)

Welcome Fry Jr  ?
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #4911 on: February 16, 2018, 05:39:33 PM »

IMO......the failure at this Tip Line FBI office is criminal.  I wouldn't oppose seeing civil actions taken against the individual, or group of individuals who had any direct involvement in this fiasco.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/02/16/fbi-failed-pursue-january-tip-parkland-school-shooter-suspect/345571002/

In a written statement, the FBI said a person close to Cruz contacted the agency's tip line Jan. 5 to report concerns about "Cruz’s gun ownership, desire to kill people, erratic behavior, and disturbing social media posts, as well as the potential of him conducting a school shooting." The informant was not identified in the FBI's statement.

"Under established protocols, the information provided by the caller should have been assessed as a potential threat to life," the FBI said.

Teachers from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School continued to express shock at Wednesday's shooting rampage that left 17 people dead and more than a dozen others wounded. AP

The protocols call for the information to be forwarded to the FBI Miami field office for investigation, the FBI said.

"We have determined that these protocols were not followed for the information," the statement said. "The information was not provided to the Miami field office, and no further investigation was conducted at that time."
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4912 on: February 17, 2018, 10:33:10 AM »

Unfortunately Fuzz we'll never know where the link in the chain broke!

They'll do a few investigations and some low level clerk somewhere will be named as the 'responsible party'.  I don't have a lot of faith in any agency doing 'inter agency' investigations.  Way too many 'sacrificial lambs' around for the guilty person to actually have to take the blame!!!

Ok, more 'locally'...

Heard LMR get dispatched to a truck on fire in a field yesterday afternoon.  The unique part was that there was a woman there that was attempting to 'put the fire out'!!!

It wasn't 15 minutes and my phone rang...   it was our oldest daughter!  I answered with "you must be out on Stewart Road" and she laughed...   

I asked her how 'big' the truck was and she said it was an older crew cab pickup but it was too burned up to tell exactly what it was. 

She said there was another (I though she said car) vehicle in the ditch right beside where the truck was. 

Would be interesting to know what the full 'chain of events' was leading up to the fire.

Then this morning early (it was light out) I heard MonroeTown requesting an assist from La Salle for a semi truck on fire at the I-75 Welcome Center.   

I must have gone back to sleep because I don't remember hearing anything after the dispatch.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4913 on: February 17, 2018, 11:32:58 AM »

Article on one of our recent bank robbers.

This is the guy that thought it was a good idea to rob a bank in Toledo and then head directly to Monroe and rob one here!

http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2018/02/16/Michigan-man-indicted-accused-of-robbing-banks-in-West-Toledo-Michigan.html

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4914 on: February 17, 2018, 04:37:38 PM »

This is the truck fire at the Welcome Center on 75 this morning. 

I wonder if there is a fire hydrant out there?

I wonder if he had parked away from other trucks or if they all just took off when they saw his truck on fire?

I wonder who did his electrical work ??? ??? ???

Article:

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180217/fire-engulfs-truck-on-i-75

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4915 on: February 17, 2018, 10:22:34 PM »

It was a Freightliner, was.  Now it's a candidate for Goody's. :o

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4916 on: February 18, 2018, 09:54:13 AM »

We went a week or so without any snow falling and then last night a system went through after dark.

The first crash reports on the scanner started between Dundee and Milan and they progressed right down 23 just like clock work!

One week of no snow and way too many people have forgotten how to drive in the snow!!!!!!!!  It eventually worked over to 75 but it didn't seem like there were as many crashes.

At some point overnight a house burned in the city.  I didn't hear the dispatch but did hear responders calling central dispatch and requesting them to make arrangements for the family with the Red Cross. 

I haven't seen anything about it on the MonroeNews website yet.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #4917 on: February 18, 2018, 10:06:07 AM »

The frost laws go into effect tomorrow morning!

Too late for our stretch of road...   it has disintegrated since Thursday.  I do admit there wasn't much holding it otgether to start with but at least the pieces weren't flying all over the place.  I'll have to go on 'chunk patrol' before I can mow anywhere within 25 feet of the edge of the road this summer!!!

I haven't seen any big trucks on the road in the last week so not sure if the frost laws going on any earlier would have helped.  If vehicles would just slow down it would help more than anything.  I heard one fairly new SUV go by while I was out with the dog late yesterday afternoon.  There must have been a piece of asphalt that flew up and got wedged against one of their brake rotors.  It was squealing like crazy.  I'm guessing they had a high end sound system and they had it cranked up loud enough not to hear the squeal.  At some point they'll probably smell something burning and wonder how it happened!!!

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180218/monroe-county-frost-laws-to-go-into-effect-monday

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4918 on: February 18, 2018, 10:19:40 AM »

Like I've said in the past, I'd never buy a used vehicle that came from anywhere around here.  Our dirt road has foot deep potholes right now and the 'idiots' still go 50 plus on it...  Of course with the sound system turned up so they hear nothing.

Once the chunk of roadway mills the rotor to nothing and the brake light comes on (they will do something), like take it in and pay a big repair bill.

I'm always amazed about tires.  People never check the air pressure (why TPMS is standard on all vehicles now).  If it's not on the rim, it's good and sometimes the rim works too.

I'm anal about tire pressure, always have been.

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4919 on: February 18, 2018, 11:26:08 AM »

It has taken almost a year for Belle tire to fix two new tires on my granddaughers veh.  They lost 25% of the air every few days.  Every time they had the veh they said valve was bad and replaced it for $100 or said they couldn't find anything.  After one cold morning when one tire was flat my daughter took it and raised holly hlee..And told them to take the tire off and put a wire brush to the alum rim and clean it up.  They were reluctant to do that but she insisted.  And I think they wanted to get her away from the other customers so they agreed..  It's been a month and neither tire has leaked yet..
Pages: 1 ... 326 327 [328] 329   Go Up