MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Business Openings

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 82   Go Down

Author Topic: Business Openings  (Read 97327 times)

Maverick

• Hero Talker
Re: Business Openings
« Reply #1020 on: January 30, 2018, 11:10:06 AM »

When all of those buildings were built the river was their sewer so naturally the back faced the river. It would take a massive investment to improve the river side of those existing buildings and cooperation from ALL of the owners to get it done.
With that said is the river in that area all that attractive and would that magically improve the downtown enough to make the investment worth it ?
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1021 on: January 30, 2018, 11:11:59 AM »

That has always puzzled me, but I don't know enough about those buildings and how the back doors are accessed.  Terrible not to take advantage of that view though.

I've been in most of those buildings at one time or another.  Most were built with no consideration of using the river frontage in any way. 

Next time you're in Monroe go across the river and pull in the parking lot behind Subway and take a look.  It's pretty hit or miss the way all the buildings tie together. 

Admittedly, it would be difficult to make over the back of the buildings to make them 'front' (that is the name of the street ironically enough) on the river.  If that could be accomplished the uses would be unlimited. 
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1022 on: January 30, 2018, 11:15:44 AM »

When all of those buildings were built the river was their sewer so naturally the back faced the river. It would take a massive investment to improve the river side of those existing buildings and cooperation from ALL of the owners to get it done.
With that said is the river in that area all that attractive and would that magically improve the downtown enough to make the investment worth it ?

Excellent point!

As to the rest of your question I've been to a lot of other villages and small towns that have figured out how to make use of their 'not so attractive' frontage.  A little 'riverscaping' would probably be the least expensive part of the whole project.  As you mention, the cooperation involved would be the most complicated part.
Friends can email me at bigreddog481 at gmail dot com.  Non friends can just save their energy!!!

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1023 on: January 30, 2018, 11:22:11 AM »

There's really not many doors back there.   Like BRD said they vary widely.   Some, depending on what's going on inside you could make a shop-front with a door on the riverwalk but no patio space.   Others have room for a patio but it would be off the basement.   Some have ugly additions.   Also, the riverwalk, being right of the river of course, floods in the spring.   They actually "close" it by putting chains across the ramps for the winter and reopen in the spring.   Some of those buildings are probably built to keep the river out of the basement in the spring and adding doors would be problematic.

I'm pretty sure 129 is the only business taking advantage of the view for the public.   

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1024 on: January 30, 2018, 11:27:36 AM »

There's really not many doors back there.   Like BRD said they vary widely.   Some, depending on what's going on inside you could make a shop-front with a door on the riverwalk but no patio space.   Others have room for a patio but it would be off the basement.   Some have ugly additions.   Also, the riverwalk, being right of the river of course, floods in the spring.   They actually "close" it by putting chains across the ramps for the winter and reopen in the spring.   Some of those buildings are probably built to keep the river out of the basement in the spring and adding doors would be problematic.

I'm pretty sure 129 is the only business taking advantage of the view for the public.

Ugly additions is an understatement! 

I've often thought at some point in history there was a competition to see who could put on the ugliest addition.  In many cases we're talking about a hundred or more years ago.

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1025 on: February 06, 2018, 10:53:32 AM »

Saw on Facebook, new women's clothing boutique opening downtown in March in the space between Jones for Men and Amayas.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1026 on: February 14, 2018, 11:15:35 AM »

We drove by the Townsite Plaza building (is that the proper name...  I always called it the Bender Building) and they have on section of the new fascia completed.  Similar style and nearly the same dark chocolate color and trim as the Kroger Plaza has. 

When we drove by a few days ago while it was so cold they had built a greenhouse over their work zone and kept right on plugging along.  I guess every 'coming soon' project in Monroe doesn't have to last 2 years ;) ;) ;)

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1027 on: February 14, 2018, 07:09:25 PM »

Saw on Facebook, new women's clothing boutique opening downtown in March in the space between Jones for Men and Amayas.

Is that Paul's Bakery?
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1028 on: February 15, 2018, 06:35:51 AM »

Not sure which one was the bakery building anymore.   It was most recently occupied by a gift shop that was occasionally open.

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1029 on: February 15, 2018, 06:40:21 AM »

When we drove by a few days ago while it was so cold they had built a greenhouse over their work zone and kept right on plugging along.  I guess every 'coming soon' project in Monroe doesn't have to last 2 years ;) ;) ;)

Yesterday they had the greenhouse moved down another section.   The new facade looks nice.   Makes you wonder if they don't have some things in the works already since they are putting a nice chunk of money into it.

Did you notice the neat old Monroe Engraving sign that was uncovered?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1030 on: February 15, 2018, 07:25:24 AM »

Yesterday they had the greenhouse moved down another section.   The new facade looks nice.   Makes you wonder if they don't have some things in the works already since they are putting a nice chunk of money into it.

I did not see that.  I'll pull over and take a closer look next time I go by there. 

They're going to have to put more money in than just a new facade.  I was familiar with a few of the units there and most of the mechanicals and the electric system all need some updating too. 

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1031 on: February 15, 2018, 08:53:43 AM »

If you do go by, see if you can find out who the contractor is that is doing the facade work. I have a job I would like bid.
Thanks

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1032 on: February 15, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »

Yes, I did see it today.  I believe it said Monroe Engraving and Design.  I did a Google search and didn't come up with anything.  I don't recall anything there like that since '87.

For anyone looking it's down on the north end by the chiropractor's office.  It probably won't be visible for very long though as it looks like that will be the next section they move their greenhouse cocoon to.

If you do go by, see if you can find out who the contractor is that is doing the facade work. I have a job I would like bid.
Thanks

Contact info is:

Johny Essou

Essou's Construction
313-363-2888 or 248-506-3344  (I assume one is a cell but it doesn't say so on the card)
2972 Reese Drive, Sterling Heights  48310

I know the name spellings seem a little unique but I double checked what I typed to make sure it matched the card.

It also says he's licensed and insured but almost every contractor has that :) :) :)

I talked to him and he was very pleasant and glad to have the inquiry.  There was another gentleman there talking with him who I suspect may be either the building owner or the man that owned the actual stucco application business.

He was the first to ask me if I had any questions and as soon as I asked about a business card he immediately brought Johny over.

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1033 on: February 15, 2018, 06:51:10 PM »

Thanks, I have a project that I will be talking to them about.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1034 on: February 15, 2018, 06:59:58 PM »

Thanks, I have a project that I will be talking to them about.

I see there's an email on the card too.

JohnyEssou at yahoo dot com

I'd guess they're going to be there at least another week (depending of weather of course).  The finish crew is only a little over halfway done with the front and the framing crew is also working down around both corners so they still have a lot to do.

I was there right around 1ish...   I asked if there was any particular time it was best to call and he said he was usually available.

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 82   Go Up