MonroeTalks.com > About MonroeTalks.com > Getting Started & Site News > Calendar reminder

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calendar reminder  (Read 3073 times)

Paula Wethington

• Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • The Monroe News
Calendar reminder
« on: June 01, 2010, 02:13:57 PM »

There's been new / recent complaints about event notices on the boards.

Reminder to MT members: All event notices are to be submitted to the calendar section, not posted on the forum section. You will find the calendar here http://www.monroetalks.com/events/events

When you "submit event" then it goes into a moderator queue and the newsroom staff will clear the event for view. In the meantime, we make a copy of it for the print media lists.

Reporter and digital media team member, The Monroe News and Bedford Now
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/MonroeNewsPaula

PXaiver

Re: Calendar reminder
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 03:50:06 PM »

It's too bad that both the online calendar and the print version are too cluttered and disorganized to find anything quick.  Why are you punishing people for going the extra mile and posting their events in an area that people will actually look at?  Is this a revenue thing or do you just like to pigeonhole groups into one outlet?  People and organizations should be allowed to post events on MT.  This is a forum, we discuss things here, that includes events.

Collegekid

• Hero Talker
  • Doing the impossible makes us mighty.
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 07:23:06 PM »

This is a forum, we discuss things here, that includes events.

Agreed.
http://daveherndon.blogspot.com/

You believe in life after death, I believe in death after life

I swear it upon Zeus; an outstanding runner cannot be the equal of an average wrestler.

- Socrates

Non Illegitimati Carborundum

"Most men stop when they begin to tire. Good men go until they think they are going to collapse. But the very best know the mind tires before the body and push themselves further and further, beyond all limits. Only when these limits are shattered can the unattainable be reached."

forever39

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 07:47:05 PM »

Agreed

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 03:24:57 AM »

Agreed!
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

Administration

• Web Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • MonroeTalks.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:27:00 AM »

Posting events in the forum hasn't really been something we monitor or is in the sites TOS.  The reason we encourage it, is because it is the most used/comprehensive public calendar in the county.  The traffic to it is huge.  Also, most of the events submitted to the MT calendar are pulled from online and put into the paper, which is the complete opposite of how we used to do it.  That's an additional 20,000 people seeing the events. 

On the other hand, there is always room for improvement!   We'll take a look at it to see if there's something better we can do with it to make it easier to read - both online and in print.  If you have suggestions from other papers or other websites, please post them here.   Thanks for the help. 
MonroeTalks.com Administration

PXaiver

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 07:41:36 AM »

I tried using it once to look for charity events to volunteer for.  The only thing I could find is the next AA meeting.  Actually I didn't realize that there were so many AA meetings.  Never again will I bother with that calendar.

Administration

• Web Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Talker
    • MonroeTalks.com
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 08:46:04 AM »

Well, if you see one you like point it out to us.  We're always looking to improve.  One nice thing that several people have complimented on and use daily is the category search.   

http://www.monroetalks.com/events/events/index.php?com=search
Click on the type of event you are searching for then click "Begin Search."  This breaks down specific events so you don't have to weed through the daily events. 

Even cooler is the RSS event save that this software offers. 
http://www.monroetalks.com/events/events/index.php?com=rss
Create your own RSS feed from whatever events you like so you are notified whenever the event you choose, in the area (town) you choose comes up.   

Again, your feedback is appreciated. 
MonroeTalks.com Administration

PXaiver

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 09:07:43 AM »

The search function is too general.  Ice tried being specific but it still comes back with lots of results that I'm not looking for.  I've actually found a few no. local websites that do a much better job of giving event listings in Monroe county. 

Monique

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 11:05:09 AM »

On the other hand, there is always room for improvement!   We'll take a look at it to see if there's something better we can do with it to make it easier to read - both online and in print.  If you have suggestions from other papers or other websites, please post them here.   Thanks for the help.
I use the calendar to look for local family events, and that's been very helpful! One thing that would make the calendar even better would be to have 'hover pop-ups' for each link that contain the basic information for the event so the user doesn't have to click through unless they want the detailed information. I see this kind of pop-up on sites like Bing and Netflix.
Pages: [1]   Go Up