MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Politics and Government > We're All But Done

Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381]   Go Down

Author Topic: We're All But Done  (Read 238662 times)

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
Re: We're All But Done
« Reply #5700 on: October 11, 2017, 10:30:57 AM »

While we're bashing our current educational system. Spoke to a friend of mine, a big lib who spent well over a $ 100K sending his daughter to U of M. I said cost of education is going through the roof and I had  read that while the number of teachers isn't growing that much the number of administrators has tripled. He said you have no idea. He said when his wife started teaching in Monroe 30 years ago we had a superintendent and an assistant superintendent. Today there are 6 assistant superintendents all earning well over$ 100K. Then there must be additional costs for each of their staffs. I'm thinking about attending Jefferson school board meeting coming up and see what's going on out here.

Question is what are these extra administrators doing to improve education?

I once posed that same question here, and the MEN editorial folks........at one time the MPS had an Org chart on their website and another page showing salaries.  It was totally ridiculous what this school system has in bureaucracy cost at the administrative level.  Absurd, and yet some bitchandcomplain about teacher salaries......select the right targets people.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5701 on: October 12, 2017, 09:51:30 PM »

I once posed that same question here, and the MEN editorial folks........at one time the MPS had an Org chart on their website and another page showing salaries.  It was totally ridiculous what this school system has in bureaucracy cost at the administrative level.  Absurd, and yet some bitchandcomplain about teacher salaries......select the right targets people.

Good stuff. The only issue I have about teacher salaries is are they based on merit, longevity or a masters degree that may, or may not, signify an improved ability to teach. Then there's tenure. A teacher with tenure is almost immune from being terminated because of poor performance. Further, when there is a downturn in school revenues, first in first out is the rule, regardless of competence. Meanwhile, whether, or not, the kids are learning anything never seems to be a major part of the argument.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 09:56:42 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5702 on: October 13, 2017, 09:51:13 AM »

Agree.....I can see that in the public school system but I don't have first hand knowledge of how they operate.  What I do have to go off of is my eldest daughter who has been teaching K/1 classes at a charter school for 12 or 13 years now.

They are not protected by tenure that I am aware of, but she did get a bump in salary when she earned her Master's.  Even at that though John, here salary is nearly a third of what MPS pays their administrators.

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5703 on: October 14, 2017, 08:25:32 PM »

Saw a thing on U-tube that made me think. Back in the olden days, when I was going to school, the culture was way different. We didn't have nearly the number of single parent families we have today, and we also had a whole lot more stay at home Mothers back then. This resulted in a home life that
was much more stable and secure for most kids than we see today.     

The combination of these two factors alone I believe led to kids back then being more well adjusted, and reliably supervised. If you got in trouble at school there was hell to pay at home.

Today the schools have to carry the load of parents, cops, social workers etc. Further, the Progressive PC community ties the hands of teachers and Principles attempting to discipline the students. Then they have to teach. So I think I need to apologize to teachers generally speaking.

Bottom line is the culture is degrading. Society should be harping on not having kids until your married. Impress upon kids that if they want to escape poverty and have a successful life the odds are real low if you're an unwed single parent without an education.

Well, that's my take.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2017, 08:30:29 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5704 on: October 14, 2017, 10:26:20 PM »

Bottom line is the culture is degrading. Society should be harping on not having kids until your married. Impress upon kids that if they want to escape poverty and have a successful life the odds are real low if you're an unwed single parent without an education.

I'm sure some would declare you sexist and racist based on that statement John.

Remember - it takes a "village" to raise a kid.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5705 on: October 15, 2017, 06:45:23 AM »

Yeah the democrats were right except the "family" is the local gangs

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5706 on: October 15, 2017, 07:46:02 AM »

Saw a thing on U-tube that made me think. Back in the olden days, when I was going to school, the culture was way different. We didn't have nearly the number of single parent families we have today, and we also had a whole lot more stay at home Mothers back then. This resulted in a home life that
was much more stable and secure for most kids than we see today.     

The combination of these two factors alone I believe led to kids back then being more well adjusted, and reliably supervised. If you got in trouble at school there was hell to pay at home.

Today the schools have to carry the load of parents, cops, social workers etc. Further, the Progressive PC community ties the hands of teachers and Principles attempting to discipline the students. Then they have to teach. So I think I need to apologize to teachers generally speaking.

Well, that's my take.

Good observation John, I tried to make that point with you a few times over the last several years.  The Ward and June Cleaver families are few and far between where kids are reared like most of the animal world still are today.

We know have THAT culture of kids who are raising kids......or trying and not knowing how, or don't care like parents did when we were children where we had a Ward and June at home.  I still maintain that this is the biggest issue there is in the inner city school environments......well, and stupid administrative corruption.

There are exceptions to the rule obviously, some children will still flourish in spite of the culture change but it is a difficult and rare path that some kids get out of.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5707 on: October 21, 2017, 06:55:48 AM »

I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5708 on: October 21, 2017, 07:55:49 PM »

One day closer to the 'end times'..... ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

John Kopke

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5709 on: November 11, 2017, 09:15:20 PM »

24/7 cable/MSM reporting getting me down. None of these outfits report on what really matters, not to mention their various left wing/right wing biases. All the news is about the latest scandals, or the latest of whom is up or down politically. The only constant is the folks are gradually, over the decades, having the rug pulled out from underneath them as the government continues to grow at an alarming pace  where only those with the resources to navigate, or influence, the morass are able to prosper. I don't necessarily blame them, they are taking advantage of the system as it is, it's the pols and bureaucratic hacks who are the scum.

The Dems are the worst, but the pukes come in a close second. Problem with Dems is they do what they say they are going to do, grow government. The problem with the pukes is they are too chicken to do what they say they are going to do, reduce government. Regardless the result is the size of Federal Government continues to  grow. A while back I read where there are 30,000 lobbyists in DC. 30 freaking thousand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why is this? Because that is where the money is. Roughly $ 4 trillion dollars.

Today too many people today are making big bucks working the system, not producing products and services that benefit the consumer, whereby they are rewarded with profits and income.

So the bottom line is this. Government spending must be reduced substantially, like 40%.
It isn't only about the snakes filching from the coffers, we're absolutely drowning in debt!
Which brings me back to what's important. Our broadcast outlets are a disgrace. They are all about what's current, with no regard for the big picture. But I'll tell you this, during the next 10 to 20 years the big picture is going to come home to roost and the foundation of this country is going to start crumbling big time. That's all.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 09:31:38 PM by John Kopke »
John Kopke

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5710 on: November 14, 2017, 07:24:13 PM »

Not sure which of 3 scenario's will occur first..

1.  This country goes bankrupt
2.  We have a civil war
3.  The Chinese take us over.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Tim Heiss

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5711 on: November 19, 2017, 11:19:02 AM »

Not sure which of 3 scenario's will occur first..

1.  This country goes bankrupt
2.  We have a civil war
3.  The Chinese take us over.
Probably all 3 and in that order.
When the debate is lost slander becomes the tool of the loser.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5712 on: November 19, 2017, 12:33:26 PM »

Buck up.

Trumps gonna make Merica "great" again.
Lyndon B. Johnson

Lyndon B. Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 [381]   Go Up