MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Just Asking > Anyone using CB or FMS or 'other' hand held radios?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using CB or FMS or 'other' hand held radios?  (Read 195 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Anyone using CB or FMS or 'other' hand held radios?
« on: June 30, 2018, 09:37:52 AM »

I'm looking for some good hand held mobile radios for when we're camping. 

I have my 40 channel sideband CB mounted in the truck and I'm putting a 40 channel CB base unit in the camper.  I've had CB handhelds over the years and even with long extending antennas their range was limited.  There are times that I will be hiking in the UP where I might be 10 miles from 'camp'. 

I've read up some on the FMS radio band and I know there is another one that is popular.  No permit required for the FMS band but a permit is required for the other band. 

Looking for input and discussion with someone actually using some of these radios and preferably in a camping type scenario. 
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Anyone using CB or FMS or 'other' hand held radios?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 09:16:21 AM »

My "camping" days ended when she discovered hotels on the beach... :)

I'll check with a few of my friends who may use these.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »

I use marine band transceivers up north.  You have to have a permit in Canada but not here.  The good ones, I think 10 watt input have a 20 miles range.

I bought a pair at Cabelas, think they were 150 bucks each.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 08:54:36 PM »

I use marine band transceivers up north.  You have to have a permit in Canada but not here.  The good ones, I think 10 watt input have a 20 miles range.

I bought a pair at Cabelas, think they were 150 bucks each.

I had actually considered those too.  We have two considerations that don't necessarily match up the best.  Obviously we want to be able to communicate with each other or members of our group and over as much distance as is reasonably practical. 

The other objective is being able to reach someone in an emergency.  No problem if you're close to the great lakes but I wasn't sure how many people might be monitoring when you're inland. 

I'll throw those in the mix too.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 09:38:09 PM »

I have a SAT phone.  They are expensive to buy and air time is also expensive but you only pay for used airtime.  What I take hunting.  They work anywhere in the world so long as they can 'see ' a communications satelite.  No dead spots ever.  You'll pay about 500 bucks per unit and air time ranges from a buck a minute on up.  I only use it as an emergency device.

FRS band radio's don't have much range and they are basically 'line of sight' which means buildings decrease the effective range.  The VHF Marine radio's work much better and some are programmable for custom channels.

You can stop by and play with mine if you want to.  They work good.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
Pages: [1]   Go Up