MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Science & Technology > Anyone using ViaSat or something similar for their internet service?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone using ViaSat or something similar for their internet service?  (Read 173 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971

By 'similar' I mean satellite based.  I see ViaSat is doing a lot of advertising on local Toledo TV stations but I don't know anyone to ask about their service. 

We finally dumped Charter and got a MiFi unit from Verizon.  That uses cell towers and we've been pretty happy with it other than the week we were camping up on the shore of Lake Superior.  Cell service was very spotty and when you could get service it was weak and might only last a few minutes. 

Really want something satellite based so while we're traveling we can just aim an antenna 'up in the sky' and get service when we need it.

Anyone have suggestions or experience with one of these types of service?

Forgot to put in the website!

https://www.viasat.com/
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: Anyone using ViaSat or something similar for their internet service?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 09:29:54 AM »

My son considered Hughsnet  a few years ago - but they were still pricey but had better pricing than others

It appears the major satellite competition was either put out of business or merged to two players...

Your viaSat was formerly Exede  one of the two players left.

https://www.reviews.org/internet-service/best-satellite-internet-providers/

What I hate about all such services/ Phone/cable internet - is the teaser deals...   Just tell me what I'm paying as I'm not falling for a 3 month teaser!   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »

My son considered Hughsnet  a few years ago - but they were still pricey but had better pricing than others

It appears the major satellite competition was either put out of business or merged to two players...

Your viaSat was formerly Exede  one of the two players left.

https://www.reviews.org/internet-service/best-satellite-internet-providers/

What I hate about all such services/ Phone/cable internet - is the teaser deals...   Just tell me what I'm paying as I'm not falling for a 3 month teaser!   

Even the ads I'm seeing on TV are a $30 or $50 / month introductory rate.

They show 'unlimited' data plans but you also have to do some calculating to figure how much data you get at 'full' speed and then what will still work at the 'throttled down' rate. 

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:19:15 AM »

I use buckeye out of Toledo.  It seems to go up every month.  I have it paried with about 20 local TV stations and the bill is now $100/month.
I have Directv so my local TV is Detroit instead of Toledo.
And Directv is $118/mo.   Something gotta give pretty soon.
If i switch to all  Buckeye that's about $200/month so there isn't an advantage.
i saw where Bedford is looking into another cable company..
I have a neighbor that has Frontier.  It's slow as hell.
Pages: [1]   Go Up