MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Businesses > Business Openings

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Business Openings  (Read 72812 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Business Openings
« Reply #990 on: January 17, 2018, 07:56:35 AM »

How many 'Chinese' beaneries are enough in one town?

Even one would not survive on my dime!

I haven't heard anything but just connecting some dots in the background of the new owner.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #991 on: January 17, 2018, 08:20:51 AM »

Just what Monroe needed, another average diner with the same old menu items just like any of the other diners in the area.  Hey Sal.... you need to step it up and make some unique food items to make your place stand out from the rest.  Same old burgers, coneys, sandwiches, and dinner plates.

I saw the menu online and wrote them off before they even opened.   Someone might as well buy all these places up and make a chain out of them.   Maybe call it "Mediocre Joes".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #992 on: January 17, 2018, 09:07:45 AM »

Sort of off topic, but Flip....have you tried the new chicken pot pies that KFC is putting out?  I see them marketing them now in the St. Louis area, not sure if they are being sold back home though.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #993 on: January 17, 2018, 12:33:50 PM »

Sort of off topic, but Flip....have you tried the new chicken pot pies that KFC is putting out?  I see them marketing them now in the St. Louis area, not sure if they are being sold back home though.

Local outlets here don't offer them...yet but I did try one in Ionia on the way back from up north with Jimmy.  They are good.  The Ionia KFC on M66 in town, has a full buffet plus the carryout or dine in chicken in all varieties.

All the KFC's around here are owned by the same person, both in Monroe (2) and the one in Adrian.  They also owned the one in Tecumseh that caught fire (from an electrical issue, not overcooked chicken) that was never rebuilt for some reason.  Just an empty lot now (across from Bader's John Deere).  No for sale sign so I keep hoping it will be rebuilt at some point.

CL and I did swing into Jets Pizza in Tecumseh the other night and ordered up a thick crust rectangular pizza pie with pepperoni and extra cheese and brought it home and true to Jets, it was just as good as any we have had elsewhere.  Jets is tops for pizza in my book, about the only pizza we don't get indigestion from.

Waiting for the beanery and bar to move into the closed steak house that was on the corner of 23 and 50.  They have good stuff at their present location, just down the way.

We go to the Chinese Sizzling or the Dundee Coney Island (in the same strip) off Waterstradt across M50 from Cabelas.  The Coney don't have much in the way of ambience (none at all actually) but has a good inexpensive breakfast (stay away from the pancakes) and dinners, Liver and onions suck, so does the meatloaf and spaghetti and meatballs, but everything else is good to excellent and they make real battewred deep fried onion rings, not the constituted (ground up onion) ones other beaneries offer.

Their burgers are fantastic and so it their Al's club sandwich.  Cheesecake is homemade and excellent too.

Chinese Sizzling is so clean you could eat off the floor in the mens room, never seen a Chinese beanery so clean before, usually they are dirty.  Not this one and the food is good and you get plenty, we usually wind up bringing some home for another meal.  The Coney and the Chinese place do carryout.

We do Chinese in moderation, we prefer American cusine and of course KFC.

Finally went to Culvers in Adrian the other day.  It's very good too.  Specialty burgers and fare.  Reasonably priced too.  Nice dining room, unlike McDees, no plastic seating.  Real sloth seats.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #994 on: January 17, 2018, 07:01:37 PM »

Local outlets here don't offer them...yet but I did try one in Ionia on the way back from up north with Jimmy.  They are good.  The Ionia KFC on M66 in town, has a full buffet plus the carryout or dine in chicken in all varieties.

All the KFC's around here are owned by the same person, both in Monroe (2) and the one in Adrian.  They also owned the one in Tecumseh that caught fire (from an electrical issue, not overcooked chicken) that was never rebuilt for some reason.  Just an empty lot now (across from Bader's John Deere).  No for sale sign so I keep hoping it will be rebuilt at some point.

CL and I did swing into Jets Pizza in Tecumseh the other night and ordered up a thick crust rectangular pizza pie with pepperoni and extra cheese and brought it home and true to Jets, it was just as good as any we have had elsewhere.  Jets is tops for pizza in my book, about the only pizza we don't get indigestion from.

Waiting for the beanery and bar to move into the closed steak house that was on the corner of 23 and 50.  They have good stuff at their present location, just down the way.

We go to the Chinese Sizzling or the Dundee Coney Island (in the same strip) off Waterstradt across M50 from Cabelas.  The Coney don't have much in the way of ambience (none at all actually) but has a good inexpensive breakfast (stay away from the pancakes) and dinners, Liver and onions suck, so does the meatloaf and spaghetti and meatballs, but everything else is good to excellent and they make real battewred deep fried onion rings, not the constituted (ground up onion) ones other beaneries offer.

Their burgers are fantastic and so it their Al's club sandwich.  Cheesecake is homemade and excellent too.

Chinese Sizzling is so clean you could eat off the floor in the mens room, never seen a Chinese beanery so clean before, usually they are dirty.  Not this one and the food is good and you get plenty, we usually wind up bringing some home for another meal.  The Coney and the Chinese place do carryout.

We do Chinese in moderation, we prefer American cusine and of course KFC.

Finally went to Culvers in Adrian the other day.  It's very good too.  Specialty burgers and fare.  Reasonably priced too.  Nice dining room, unlike McDees, no plastic seating.  Real sloth seats.

Have you tried JR's in Adrian yet.  On Division by Meijer.  I think it's where Fazoli's used to be.

We've been to the one in Milan several times and we've enjoyed it every time.  Can't speak for the one in Adrian but I would hope it would be a similar experience.

The one in Milan is the only one that serves breakfast.  I assume because of their proximity to 23.

http://www.jrsgrillandpub.com/

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #995 on: January 17, 2018, 09:35:58 PM »

We've been to JR's in Adrian a couple times, it's good too.  Actually, we have not found a bad eatery in Adrian.  JR's in Milan is on the strip that parallels 23 right?  I'd say for us, it's a wash, Adrian or Milan, about the same distance.

This time of the year though I prefer eating at home.  Just too crappy outside to go out to eat.

Been wanting to try Carl's Cabin in Plymouth on Gotfredson Road at Territorial.  I hear you need a big wallet but it's always packed.  We get up that way to visit CL's brother and always go by it.

Cannot be n any bigger wallet place than the Villa however.

Think my favorite place down your way has the be LaFiesta on Telegraph.  Have really good Taco's.  Don't upset my tummy.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #996 on: January 18, 2018, 05:59:06 AM »

We've been to JR's in Adrian a couple times, it's good too.  Actually, we have not found a bad eatery in Adrian. JR's in Milan is on the strip that parallels 23 right?  I'd say for us, it's a wash, Adrian or Milan, about the same distance.

This time of the year though I prefer eating at home.  Just too crappy outside to go out to eat.

Been wanting to try Carl's Cabin in Plymouth on Gotfredson Road at Territorial.  I hear you need a big wallet but it's always packed.  We get up that way to visit CL's brother and always go by it.

Cannot be n any bigger wallet place than the Villa however.

Think my favorite place down your way has the be LaFiesta on Telegraph.  Have really good Taco's.  Don't upset my tummy.

Yes, 23 backs up to the freeway.  It was originally built for a Big Boy but it seems like there was something else in there before JRs opened.

I guess I probably wouldn't just get in the car to drive there to eat but if we're up that way it's a nice place to stop.

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #997 on: January 18, 2018, 08:43:15 AM »

Another not open yet, but heard a rumor Tropical Smootie Cafe, a hit with the kids, is coming soon.  Already listed on their web site as coming soon at 1111 N. Telegraph which is the empty lot between KFC and the newish powersports place.   A little digging on the Googles shows a 2-tenant commercial building is going in there.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #998 on: January 18, 2018, 06:27:57 PM »

No opening yet, but looks like someone is putting some money into the old Monroe Townsite Plaza.   Most of the dated facade has been ripped off and all the old signage has been removed.   Nice to see some things happening on the south side of town over the last couple years.   Looks like the whole Kroger shopping center is full now too.
Curious the plan - as it appears the past owner was chasing out long time resident occupants.   
Some landlords need a write off it seems
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #999 on: January 18, 2018, 06:29:17 PM »

I see the owner of the Monroe Golf & Country Club passed away...   

Hopefully the family had a plan better than the one on LaPlaisance did.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1000 on: January 18, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »

Curious the plan - as it appears the past owner was chasing out long time resident occupants.   
Some landlords need a write off it seems

The two biggest units on the front had been vacant for a couple of years at least.

The pharmacy built where the armory was and moved over there.  That's well documented in posts here.

The other one was the GoodWill training center that moved over on Telegraph next to the GoodWill store.  That's been at least a couple of years.  There were active 'for lease' signs in the windows until just recently.  I haven't followed any of the other tenants.  As far as I know the tire place is still in the back.  There was a chiropractor on the north end and an insurance office on the south end.

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1001 on: January 19, 2018, 08:30:51 AM »

I thought the tire place closed a while back but apparently not.   I think I read that in the paper so it was probably wrong.   Owner sounds like a real friendly guy from the reviews online.   I think there's also a home healthcare office or something like that in the little standalone building on the north end still.   Its a confusing jumble of buildings and even less appealing from the back.   Hopefully it gets spruced up and put back to work.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #1002 on: January 21, 2018, 03:39:53 PM »

No opening yet, but looks like someone is putting some money into the old Monroe Townsite Plaza.   Most of the dated facade has been ripped off and all the old signage has been removed.   Nice to see some things happening on the south side of town over the last couple years.   Looks like the whole Kroger shopping center is full now too.

I see they got started with the new facade at the south end of the building. 

Galvanized steel studs covered by waferboard...

I'll bet it won't last as long as those cedar shakes that have been on there at least the last 35 years!

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1003 on: January 22, 2018, 08:41:51 AM »

Lets hope not!   That was looking really dated.   It looks like that was probably at least the second "look" for the building based on what was underneath.   Looks like it got expanded at least a couple times and I imagine that cedar shake look was to tie the last additions in.   I imagine its getting that stucco over foam treatment that is popular now.

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #1004 on: January 22, 2018, 11:02:31 PM »

Interesting read in yesterdays paper -   someone bought the building at 10 W First -  talking about puting 10-20 million into it??       That will be some project
Marion Berry

Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 75   Go Up