MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!  (Read 7157 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
Re: Did the PBB disaster in the 70s poison all of Michigan!
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2018, 12:07:07 PM »

BRD......I had it in my mind that DOW was associated with that big dairy cattle kill up in Alma back in the 70's so I searched real quick.

Not sure about this blog, but well written.  Does this match your recollection?

http://ymaout.blogspot.com/2013/03/pbb-disaster-of-1970s-poisons-all-of.html

No, it wasn't Dow but rather St. Louis Chemical (later Velsicol).

The similarities is they were both situated in the central Michigan area and both extracted chemicals from brine or salt in the area.  Another similarity is both were not very careful on keeping they're pollution out of the adjacent rivers which actually connected the two plants.

My wife and I both grew up literally on the banks of the Pine River about midway between the two plants.
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2018, 02:36:48 PM »

I would say the dump site has had no ill effects on me but that might set off a lively debate!!!

Mav......you and I grew up in a time when preservatives were being introduced to the baby food we were fed as kids (1st generation to do so), processed foods were the norm (nitrates and nitrites), and a whole host of chemicals first introduced to man.

I marvel at my willingly consumed "chemicals" and still surprised I have appendages and 3 active brain cells.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »

We've talked about this before probably on this thread. When I was a kid we used to hunt in the area of the Pennsylvania Crossing dump site before and after it was there. I still own 80 and a cabin off of Mt Tom rd and pass the dump site every time we I there.
I would say the dump site has had no ill effects on me but that might set off a lively debate!!!

When you stopped by this spring. you had a strange odor about you...... ;D  Smelled like something chemical... :o
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Maverick

• Hero Talker
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2018, 11:48:35 PM »

Round Up ready GMO Bean soup !!
When in danger or in doubt, Run in circles scream and shout !!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2018, 10:45:34 AM »

We've talked about this before probably on this thread. When I was a kid we used to hunt in the area of the Pennsylvania Crossing dump site before and after it was there. I still own 80 and a cabin off of Mt Tom rd and pass the dump site every time we I there.

This study is right in your area then.

Your tax dollars at work:  http://www.midnr.com/Publications/pdfs/ForestsLandWater/Cmpt_Reviews/Grayling/2010/Cmpt029NarReportMap.pdf
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up