MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: July 21, 2018, 07:52:54 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by blue2
I'd be curious to see water supply at Costco. Last week there must have been 2 or 3 truckloads in the store

on: July 21, 2018, 07:31:28 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by Maverick
If you really want some I have 20 or more on houses that the companies just abandon. Probably closer to 30

on: July 21, 2018, 07:03:26 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by BigRedDog
Do have a question BRD....  When Dow was in the gasoline business what brand did they sell under or was it all wholesale?

Here's a picture of one of the local Bay stations in Midland.  Not too many gas stations are designed by a world reknown architect but I guess the Dows figured if they spent it then Schuette would't inherit as much ;D ;D ;D

IMAGE 91 OF 203
This is an excerpt from an article that appeared in the April 3, 1962, edition of the Daily News. The station opened in July of that year.

After delays forced by Midland’s cold and snowy winter, the new Bay Refining Company service station at Ashman and Hines in Midland has started to take form as an architectural prototype likely to attract wide interest.

Designed by Alden B. Dow Inc., and engineered by Professor J.L. Waling, of Purdue University’s School of Civil Engineering, this project is the first to make use of a new method of constructing a hyperbolic paraboloid concrete shell. Research on the new method, which uses Styrofoam expanded polystyrene planks as form boards, was conducted at Purdue under the sponsorship of The Dow Chemical Co.

Here's the whole article I just found this morning so I've only made it through the first 100 photos so far.

I keep hoping there will be a picture of me somewhere!!!

https://www.ourmidland.com/lifestyles/article/Throwback-Old-Midland-area-businesses-13085085.php#photo-9628750

on: July 21, 2018, 06:38:45 PM 
Big satellite dishes or smaller Dish size ?

The little ones.

You can use the big ones too but they're not very portable.

You can get a lot of heat out of one by just painting them a bright silver or wrapping them with aluminum foil but if you use these mirror raps you can make them dangerous hot!!!

Power of 5000 suns! The R5800 solar concentrator

on: July 21, 2018, 06:34:50 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by Maverick
Big satellite dishes or smaller Dish size ?

on: July 21, 2018, 06:34:43 PM 
Started by Kazimer - Last post by FritzTheKat
(both are good)
nice front

obvious or subtle?

on: July 21, 2018, 06:33:33 PM 
Started by Chips - Last post by BigRedDog
For those of you keeping track of blighted homes there will soon be fewer to count. 

http://www.monroenews.com/news/20180721/homes-to-be-razed-to-make-way-for-heritage-corridor

on: July 21, 2018, 06:22:24 PM 
The simple solution to mineral free water to drink and make coffee with is a solar still...

I do have to agree with the Polish Price Mayor, the Collins plant is state of the art.  What other water plant can take green stinky slimy water and make it slightly green and less stinky and put it in their pipes for people to consume?

Bottom line is, Lake Erie is a toilet.

If we ever have a major 'situation' I'll make one.  Pretty sure I've got enough stuff laying around to at least make a wood fired one up.  I do pick up old satellite antennas when I see them around.  Perfect to use for solar concentrators.

on: July 21, 2018, 06:12:00 PM 

I sent a co-worker to get some cases of water on Thursday afternoon. She went to Walmart and could only get 4 Big cases. (40 bottles in case) She said they didn't have any 24 packs of water. The worker who she talked to, said they had a run on water on Wednesday and Thursday. When the algae gets bad and they use more chemicals in the treatment, it makes for some awful tasting, awful smelling tap water.

That explains what the checkout guy said to me at Kroger last night.

We only got one case as we have 2 in the house and 2 in the camper so we just buy as we go so we always have a bit of a reserve and yes I do rotate the stock!

When I got to the water rack there weren't many cases (24) there but I got one and headed for the checkout.  When I got there he asked if I only had one case...

my first thought was 'are you blind'...

pretty hard to hide a case of water in my back pocket!!!

I said yes I only have one case but I must have said it a little sarcastic...   he replied that most of the people buying water were buying multiple cases but he never said why.  I told him we had our backup supply at home and I was just refreshing my supply as I used it.

on: July 21, 2018, 05:04:02 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by NewDawn
We've been stocking up on cases of water 'just in case'...

I remember the last time and the 'run' on water even in Kroger stores in Wayne and Washtenaw counties. 

We have a well but we still prefer the taste of bottled water and we NEVER put the well water through the coffee pot.  We'd have to clean it out once a week if we did.  Lots of minerals in our water although they're probably not really bad for you...   just 'taste' issues.

I guess it's like other things...   

once you get accustomed to it you wouldn't mind.

I wouldn't be concerned to drink it in an emergency but if we can buy bottled water ahead we will.

If we have another 'rush' on water I may take the car trailer and get a load and haul it home and resell it.  Not gouging really but enough to cover my costs and make a few bucks.

I sent a co-worker to get some cases of water on Thursday afternoon. She went to Walmart and could only get 4 Big cases. (40 bottles in case) She said they didn't have any 24 packs of water. The worker who she talked to, said they had a run on water on Wednesday and Thursday. When the algae gets bad and they use more chemicals in the treatment, it makes for some awful tasting, awful smelling tap water.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10