MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Hobbies & Arts > Slingshots

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slingshots  (Read 3086 times)

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
    • Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
Slingshots
« on: July 25, 2009, 10:02:26 AM »

Does anyone still shoot slingshots anymore? I don't mean just to get stray animals out their yard. Fishing, Hunting or Competitions.
I’ve been shooting every now and then. Mostly target practice. I was wondering if anyone else still does around here.

I might try some fishing this year with it. I found a way on-line to attach fishing reel. I don’t know if its legal in MI to use it so I’m going to have check on that one before I do.
I might even try hunting. Not just small game but larger. Perhaps a deer.
Monroe County Michigan Lost & Forgotten History
http://monroelosthistory.wordpress.com/

MM1

• Hero Talker
Re: Slingshots
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 10:10:07 AM »

All I can think is, "You'll shoot your eye out!"  (forever a parent, I guess.  :D )

The closest I ever came to shooting a slingshot is in highschool, we would cut slots in the erasers of a pencils then take a rubber band and use it like a slingshot to shoot the pencils straight up into the ceiling. But, maybe that would be more along the lines of archery.   :D

Seriously though, I haven't seen or heard of slingshot competitions.   Are they clubs?

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 10:31:57 AM »

I use one every day...

sort of...

The big red dog loves to chase a tennis ball  (natural retriever instinct I guess)...

When we discovered we couldn't throw it far enough or fast enough to make her happy our son bought her one of these for Christmas...

It's from Hyperdog...

and if you just pick it up and show it to her she gets hyper...

It will shoot a tennis ball 200 feet...

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 12:16:13 PM »

I have a couple.  I shoot stainless steel balls or marbles.  It takes practice to get accurate and you have to be stealthy to get close enough but you can bring down a woodchuck with a headshot.  Never a deer.  Too big and too skittish.

I mainly shoot aluminum soda cans on fence posts.  The high velocity slings are good excercise for your right arm (or left if you are right handed).
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

ducksoup

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2009, 12:59:44 PM »

Does anyone still shoot slingshots anymore? I don't mean just to get stray animals out their yard. Fishing, Hunting or Competitions.
I’ve been shooting every now and then. Mostly target practice. I was wondering if anyone else still does around here.

I might try some fishing this year with it. I found a way on-line to attach fishing reel. I don’t know if its legal in MI to use it so I’m going to have check on that one before I do.
I might even try hunting. Not just small game but larger. Perhaps a deer.

It is legal, but I am assuming you need a fishing license.  Including propelled by slingshot.

Here is a link to a PDF about what and where you can spearfish.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/bow_and_spear_60968_7.pdf
After one taste, you'll duck soup the rest of your life ... Groucho Marx.

why not

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2009, 01:14:47 PM »

there was a fella yrs ago that went by the name of slingshot charlie, this guy could throw marbles up in the air and then bust them with his sling shot.  Rumor has it, he saved a guys life by shooting a knife wielding villain in the mouth with a marble.

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2009, 01:41:41 PM »

Good to know that there is some people around that shoot them.  I’m just wondering if there would be any interest in possibility of starting a group here. Perhaps have tournaments.
Also to work with the scouts so they can earn their merit badge for slingshot.
Usually those merit badges are earned at camp and I know from experience that some of the scouts do not get to go.

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 12:16:34 AM »

Since no one replied since July, I guess that there is not an interest in either getting a group together or possiably a tournament.
I have talked with a couple of business owners and they would be interested in "sponsoring" in some way.
If there is really no interest, then I won't try to get this going.
I was thinking that this could "catch on".
Maybe I'm wrong? Anyway, I'm still going to see what more I can find out. Perhaps sometime next Summer, have a tournament.
"IF" I can get everything together.

Skippy

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2009, 01:21:53 PM »

I bought one when I was deployed to Honduras when I was in the Army back in 1992. It made the lonely hours pulling guard duty a little less boring by seeing if you could knock the limbs off of trees or if you could peg errant skunks that happened to be walking around. I had a lot of fun with mine. The only problem is that the rubber bands seem to break after a short time.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2009, 05:21:04 PM »

I'm all for a rubber band league if anyone is interested.  I better tell all of you beforehand that my wife is a better shot tham I am.

Considering how many gravel roads Monroe County has, we'll never run short on ammo. ;D

Mayonnaise

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »

Well, I've been still trying to get something going. I'm trying to get a tournament set-up. Problem is that I haven't been to one so I'm not too sure about the arrangements. I'm hoping to find someone local to help. I've gotten some information from the (NSA) National Slingshot Association. If I can get some interest... This is something could become an NSA sanctioned event. Which means "Monroe" could be added to the tournament schedules that lead to National tournaments. This would then become a yearly event.
Anyone who has been at/in tournaments and wants to get involved? PM me. Sponsorship will be asked for later.
Thanks in advance.

arpydave

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 11:16:53 AM »

Back in the day, when I was young, they had a product similar to the one BRD posted.  Called a "Wrist Rocket'.  Don't know if they're still out there, but flung a marble or ball bearing at high velocity.

Had great fun with it. 

Interesting post.
I'm a sheepdog. I may not agree with you but I will not tolerate sheeple.

Those that forget history are doomed to repeat it.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

livewire

• Hero Talker
  • "SHALL NOT be infringed". Got it?
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 12:08:41 PM »

That's exactly what BRD has - a tennis ball wrist rocket!

Very cool!

I had a wrist rocket when I was young.  Rocks worked, but were not uniform enough.  Marbles worked, but lacked energy - they were too light.  Steel ball bearings were the best ammo!  Not a lot of velocity, but MAN, did they have a lot of energy with their weight!

Lots of fun!
The Spirit of the Woods is like an old good friend.
Makes me feel warm and good inside.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • 1969-1971
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 12:20:21 PM »

You can see how far it will launch a tennis ball...

I remember having one as a teen...   and using ball bearings...   yes, wicked...

Hyper Dog Ball Launcher (long version)

Hyperdog Ball Launcher: Includes 2 balls
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 12:25:30 PM by BigRedDog »
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 09:56:32 PM »

I have a Wrist Rocket (they are sold at Bass Pro.  Steel bearing balls are the best (livewire).  Rocks (monroe county back toads provide an unlimited supply) don't go too straight...

Mine has surgical tube rubbers and a leather pouch.  I imagine it's lethal under 100 feet.  I know a head shot with a seel ball would hurt like hell....
Pages: [1]   Go Up