MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > She's gone...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: She's gone...  (Read 2347 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
She's gone...
« on: April 05, 2017, 08:51:51 AM »

Yesterday at exactly 11:30 am our beautiful big red dog departed this earth she has known for the last 14 years.  She is now waiting patiently for us in a meadow near the Rainbow Bridge. 

There are not enough words on this earth to express the bond that I had with that dog.

Even as she drew her final breath she managed to bring a smile to my face ;) ;) ;)

But today my heart is heavy as I announce her 'passing' to the world. 

I've mentioned before that she was ailing.  Her hip dysplasia slowly brought her down and Monday

we decided she had suffered enough and on yesterday morning we took her to a local vet to have
 her humanely 'put down'.  She never seemed in pain when she was laying down or sleeping and I know she slept comfortably Monday night.  I took her out early Tuesday morning to go potty and for her daily walk which was down to maybe 50-100 feet...   a far cry from her golden days when we would go maybe 3 or 4 miles along the roads and through the woods.  Probably if I was walking 3 miles she was running 10 miles. 

She hadn't eaten the last few days and yesterday was no different.  Even when my wife fried bacon for her she just turned up her nose.  Her way of saying "I'm ready to go"!  The last two days she was still drinking but couldn't keep the water down more than a few minutes.  Anyway, she did pretty good on our short walk.  I took one last picture of her watching the sun rise.  I'll post it after I've had a chance to upload it to PhotoBucket.  She's a far cry from her youthful beauty but still a very attractive old girl.  Monday I watched her for probably 45 minutes laying in the dog run and looking directly north to 'home'.  She was a well traveled critter and I could tell she was getting anxious to go 'home'.  That made making the call to the Vet's office a little easier. 

So, we were supposed to be there Tuesday around 10...   she walked to the car and stood by the open door waiting for me to lift her inside...   nothing like the days when she could bound into the back seat of the truck and manage to make it to the driver's seat before I could close the door and get in myself.  As always, she watched around until I was moving forward down the street and then she put her head down and enjoyed the ride.  Somewhere in that 5 mile ride her back legs went completely 'out'.  She never showed any extraordinary pain but she just couldn't walk when I got her out of the car.  I picked her up a few times and she just looked back at me and sat back down.  I literally carried her inside...   she was still a 'big dog' to carry!  We ended up having to wait about 45 minutes and I literally held her across my lap the whole time.  Several people in the waiting room commented on how beautiful she was.  That was something she was so accustomed to...   I don't think it ever went to her head either.  Finally they took us into the small private room and got her prepped for the Vet.  There are several doctors in this hospital and the one that came to help her was a young gal I'm guessing was still in her 20s.  She consoled my wife and I and after a few minutes asked if we were all ready.  She commented on the BRD's size and said she was still using a dosage for a 100 pound dog and that she should go fast.   I was holding the dog's head in both my hands and she was breathing very comfortably.  The doctor started the injection and even before she had finished Snickers was breathing slower and slower. 

And then as her final gift she helped give us a chuckle I'll always remember.  I have an app on my cellphone that speaks the time every 15 minutes.  I literally forget it is even there most of the time.  As Snickers drew and released her last breath my cellphone spoke in a loud feminine voice "The time is now 11:30".  I swear that young Veterinarian gal must have thought God herself was speaking to her...   the look on her face was priceless.  It made what probably would have been a rough few minutes a little easier for all of us.  Thank you Big Red Dog for all the wonderful years!

Being away from home created a bit of a logistics issue on what to do with her.  There is a pet crematorium  about 30 miles from us except you can't drive direct from here to there due to all the wildlands between...   so, we loaded her in the backseat of the car and drove out to get a bag of boiled peanuts...  one of her favorite 'snacks' while we were riding.  The woman at the roadside stand even had to come to the car to look at Snickers one last time.  The woman is also a big dog lover and she commented that she was still a beautiful animal.  Then we took off on our final 'ride' together.  The 30 mile trip is almost 60 miles and it didn't take near long enough to get there. 

Today we go pick her up and not sure how long that ride will be.  We'll leave a few ashes here where one her buddy cats is buried and hopefully we can make it over to the Peace River to put a few in there.  Then the rest will go 'home' to Michigan and they'll be buried on a small hill in the woods  on our property.  She'll be with the other dogs she's shared her home with over the years.

Thank you to all who have expressed many kind and sympathetic words for her and us over the past few months.  It is appreciated.

I've been playing this song over and over this morning...

probably not exactly what Hall & Oates had in mind but it's helping me today!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3CdDwBf4kc

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

eriemermaid

• Hero Talker
Re: She's gone...
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 09:11:05 AM »

Sorry for your loss.  :(

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »

Her last picture!!!

Considering the condition her condition was in this is actually a pretty good picture. 

She'd lost some weight on her head and front shoulders but had really wasted away on her back haunches.  This picture doesn't show how thin she had gotten on her back in...   probably what makes it a somewhat 'good' picture of her!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 09:19:15 AM »

Sorry for your loss.  :(

Thank you...

going to be a long drive back to Michigan without her 'backseat' driving!

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 09:28:24 AM »

Sorry to hear about you buddy...14 years is a good life for most dogs.
It sounds like you acted at the right time.  One doesn't want to be to quick to make the decision but i think you can tell when the pet has had enough..

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 10:24:36 AM »

This rough Irish jerk just shed a tear, condolences to you my Friend!  I can tell you first hand that the memories never pass and as they come after the mourning the memories trigger a loving grin.
Support the local economy as much as possible!

NewDawn

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 11:02:20 AM »

Heartfelt hugs, sent your way. Snickers is beautiful! She is not in pain anymore and is running and playing with other friends, waiting at that Rainbow bridge. You and your wife take care.
everyday is a new beginning....

Newport-Bill

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 11:54:39 AM »

First my condolences on the loss of your family member.

Your story brought back memories of my Heide as it was almost a mirror copy from 17 years ago so I felt everything with you along with sharing some tears .
Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 08:44:29 PM »

My deepest sympathies on the loss of your pal.   :'(
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 09:08:17 PM »

Sorry for your loss BRD.

Your story brought back many happy, and some sad memories for me.

I really thank you for your poignant story.

Condolences, and I hope you will start a new friendship soon.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 09:25:30 AM »

We made another long round about drive yesterday to pick her up and bring her back to her 'winter' home.  We'll be here another week or two before we head north. 

I'll do some pictures later and post.  She came home in a beautiful laser carved cherry wood (or look alike) box in a purple velvet draw string bag and a very nice engraved name tag.  Our youngest daughter commented that the dogs cremains came home in a nice box than Grandma did.  I explained to her that her grandmother was a bit frugal and also that she had picked out her own funeral package years before and that was exactly what she wanted!

Thanks to all who responded with kind words and comments (and even tears, Fuzz!!!). 

I've still left her big pillow on the floor beside our bed.  Last night I even put her on the pillow.  My wife gave me a strange look but didn't say much.  It will get easier as time passes.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »

Not commenting at all in as much as our 'baby' is hanging in there with an iron will to live.  She's way past her time (even the vet is amazed she's still hanging in there).  When she's gone, no more pups for us.

Just cannot take the heartache anymore.

Sorry for your loss from the both of us.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2017, 10:43:16 AM »

Yes, it will take time BRD,  I had what was my wifes dog taken care of 2 months ago.  i still keep looking for him as i walk thru the house making sure i don't step on him.. And as i turn the corner by the refrig i hesitate so i don't kick his bowls which aren't there anymore.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 12:15:37 PM »

My wife had decided a few weeks ago that she was going to make 'paw prints' in modeling clay of Snickers' big foot.  Even as a puppy she had huge feet so it was pretty obvious that she was going to grow into a big dog. 

We went a couple of weeks ago to Michael's Craft Supply and got some air drying modeling clay.  At first Snickers enjoyed the extra attention of us both holding her and forcing her foot into the clay.  Of course my wife was learning at first and most of the casts had a flaw or two so she would roll them back up and we'd head back to Snickers for another 'fitting'. 

Eventually she tired of the game though so we decided to make the best of the molds we had completed.  Right now they're still just in their natural color while they cure.  Eventually my wife will paint them and we'll find something to mount them on.  Again, I'll do a picture or two when I can handle them better.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 09:27:32 AM »

I've spent quite a bit of time this week listening to music...   

I actually found several songs that reflect on the loss of a pet. 

Here are few:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEYbJa_uG5w

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN1fMPVLmbQ&spfreload=1

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKJ5P8SOTVg

Here's one especially for Fuzz...   Dolly Parton and her puppies ;) ;) ;)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AVv9Yg1XL0

Linda Ronstadt continues her challenges with Parkinson's...

I prefer to think of her 'back in the day'...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBHcUv_42zI

If anyone has any preferred music on this topic please post your suggestions!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up