MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > She's gone...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: She's gone...  (Read 2348 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: She's gone...
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 09:36:27 AM »

A beautiful sunny day again in central Florida.  We've been in the 90s the last few days.  Snickers enjoyed getting out in the sun early and just laying in the sun.  Probably made her hip joints feel a bit better.  Quite often she would lay down so she was facing north.  I would watch her and wonder what was running through her mind.

We had breakfast at home this morning rather than going out so it hurt a little when my wife was fixing bacon and there was no big red dog under her feet in the kitchen helping out...

or maybe just 'on guard' to make sure no one got 'her share'! 

I went to the bedroom and got 'her box' and brought it to the kitchen so she could soak in the smell at least.  My wife just commented to me, "for some reason the bacon lasted longer this morning'!!!

She had many talents and begging for just one more bite of bacon was at the top of the list 8) 8) 8)
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 10:07:35 AM »

I couldn't help but to think of Johnny Carson's interview with Dolly Parton when he told her he would give up a year's salary to look down her top.  Classic!
Support the local economy as much as possible!

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 10:13:22 AM »

I couldn't help but to think of Johnny Carson's interview with Dolly Parton when he told her he would give up a year's salary to look down her top.  Classic!

I happened to be watching that night and I thought I was going to die laughing...

I'm not sure how much he was making a year back then but I'm sure it was a lot!!!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw2W8ZC7pkM

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 10:40:25 AM »

We still haven't decided where we'll put the nice brass nameplate.  For now it's still in the bag!

It's not easy to see the purple 'bag' under the box.  The box is gorgeous and the photo does not do it justice. 

Does anyone know if there is a more formal name for the purple bag ??? ??? ???

'bag' just doesn't sound quite right!

This is one of the foot imprints my wife is working on.  These still don't actually reflect just how big her whole foot was.  Once they've all cured then she'll paint them a couple of different colors to show the relief better. 

This was taken this morning in the strong Florida sunrise that the big red dog enjoyed so much.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 12:21:32 PM »

Enjoy and cherish the memories!

And Carson kickedass!

Mneme

• New Talker
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 02:29:19 AM »

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious Snickers girl.  :'(  Her spirit will live on through the stories of her adventures and, of course, her unwavering devotion to her family. May her journey over the Rainbow Bridge be peaceful, and her days in Summerland be wild and free and filled with many treats. Blessings to you and your family.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 10:51:38 AM »

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your precious Snickers girl.  :'(  Her spirit will live on through the stories of her adventures and, of course, her unwavering devotion to her family. May her journey over the Rainbow Bridge be peaceful, and her days in Summerland be wild and free and filled with many treats. Blessings to you and your family.

Thank you for your kind words Mneme...

and welcome to MonroeTalks. 

Oh the adventures that dog and I did share.  I did manage to video several of them and I will work on Youtubing them and sharing when I can. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »

I bought a new phone last week...   An Android Moto Z with the attachable Hasselblad True Zoom lens.  So far it seems to be doing what I need.

Here are some pictures I took with it.

I was playing around with and without a flash and trying to figure out the depth perception of the lens at various settings!  Snickers was on the table so I used her as my 'subject'.  Reminds me that she never would get anything off the table or the counter...  unlike our black lab who tended to help himself if you didn't watch him.

I did manage to find a few (hundreds maybe) pictures of her over the years.  She was probably about 2 years old here, sitting in our back yard.  She was probably just about at her max weight here over the time we had her.  Dr. Deland advised her to shed a few pounds to help with her hips down the road. 

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 10:43:59 AM »

This is a picture our youngest daughter took of her one day when they were doing 'glamour shots'!!!

Here she is in the 'doggy pool' with our son's shepherd.

This picture is of her and our son's shepherd and our oldest daughter's hound...  we were granddog sitting for a few days.  Both of the other dogs lived in town at the time so Snickers was showing them around 'her' backyard!!!

I also managed to find these pictures of her when our son first brought her home.  It's dated so shows she was just starting her fourteenth year when she left us.

Little did we realize at this point how many dozens of tennis balls we would buy in the next 10 years.  I have one of the slingshots that shoots them and she would chase them by the hour.  My arm would literally get tired of shooting them before she would get tired of chasing them.  If I have one regret over the years it is that I didn't shoot enough balls for her over the years.  When we get home I'll put the rest of the balls I can find in her grave with her ;) ;) ;)

She was a true dog...   she could nap with the best of them...  but her ears were always alert for any strange sound and she would awaken instantly and go into 'defensive bark' mode...   and her bark was deep!

I think we teaching her to sit while the ball was rolling away from her.  It proved futile as she was always taking off the second you threw or shot it in the air.

Here she is at almost a year old out sitting in the snow.  Cold and snow never bothered her.  Her hair was superinsulated and she was also a super shedder!  If it was snowing out she would just lay on the ground and wait patiently to get back in the house.  I've had her come in with a half inch of snow built up on her back.  The boys would have been out just as long and the snow on them was all melted.

Here's another one of her 'last' photos...   none of our cats were ever afraid of her and this kitten our youngest daughter brought home a couple of weeks ago is no exception.  They made 'buds' real fast.

The Fuzz

• Hero Talker
  • Fish Lake Michigan!
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 10:56:52 AM »

Your son's shepherd is marked just like my Sadie.

Those pics you took with the new phone are great quality......it continues to amaze me how the picture quality of cell phones increase by the month.

Her 2 year old pic reminded me of that look a dog can get in their eyes; the unspoken look of "I love you my friend!"  That look grows as they age, loyalty grows, and in their final years it is one of "I need you now my friend more than ever......please help me (or feed me, lol).

I think my friend Barlow has been gone for 4 or 5 years now......and I still remember those looks and just love and cherish the memories that ole boy gave me.  Ya never forget them BRD, find comfort in that if possible.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 11:09:57 AM »

Your son's shepherd is marked just like my Sadie.

Those pics you took with the new phone are great quality......it continues to amaze me how the picture quality of cell phones increase by the month.

Her 2 year old pic reminded me of that look a dog can get in their eyes; the unspoken look of "I love you my friend!"  That look grows as they age, loyalty grows, and in their final years it is one of "I need you now my friend more than ever......please help me (or feed me, lol).

I think my friend Barlow has been gone for 4 or 5 years now......and I still remember those looks and just love and cherish the memories that ole boy gave me.  Ya never forget them BRD, find comfort in that if possible.
I'll see if I can find some more pictures of the shepherd...  she's the only one of the three still going and her hips are starting to bother her quite a bit too.

As far as the cell phone pictures go you're right about how they have progressed over the years.  For a long time I was a holdout on using a phone to take pictures...   I had my Pentax and an assortment of 'lesser' cameras to take pictures.  Eventually the phone picture quality got to where they weren't just a camera of convenience but could take pretty good quality.  The limit will always be that a lens that actually physically 'zooms' in and out is going to take better pictures than a lens with just optical zoom. 

It's a bit of a pricey combination but for my work it should work out pretty good...

and besides...   it's tax deductible ;) ;) ;)

Lots of info here for anyone that's interested.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1TSND_enUS399US399&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=hasselblad+true+zoom

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2017, 09:35:10 AM »

Interesting the things you do in life out of force of habit...   I was just getting out my morning meds.  I take a blood thinner and an aspirin (among others) and out of that force of habit I got out two aspirin this morning...  one for me and one for the dog.  She got an aspiring in the morning and one at night for the last few years. 

During her last few days she wouldn't eat anything including bacon which was her favorite 'human' food.

But, when it came time for aspirin she would still lick the peanut butter off your fingers that was hiding the aspirin. 

She was always kind of pig when she ate her own food...   too many dogs to compete for it maybe.  A few years ago I decided to try an experiment.  I just threw her morning aspirin into her bowl of food and then threw the food in on top of the aspirin.  She tore into it with her typical zeal...   but when she finally walked away to lay in the front door I went and checked her bowl.  Perfectly clean...   except for the aspirin.  She had managed to completely eat around it with surgical precision.  Couldn't even see where she had licked it.

We always said "her nose knows"!

It didn't matter if she was 'home' in MI or FL or getting out of the car or truck along I-75 somewhere in between...   when you opened the door to let her out she would stick her nose out and patiently take in all the smells.  We always said she was 'reading the news'. 

If you wanted to know which direction the wind was blowing you just had to watch her.  After she had gone for her walk to the barn (checking for invading cats) and through the woods she would return to the house and flop down.  She wasn't one of the dogs that had to go in a circle three times...   she just went 'flop'...

and then she would lay there with her nose into the wind.  If anything was trying to sneak up on her it had to get past her nose first.  The irony is I don't think she had an enemy in the world!

Even out here in the fenced in dog run just last week I saw her flopping down with her nose into the wind.

She's finally back to sleeping in our bed between us again.  The last several years she couldn't make the 'hop' to get up there...   for a couple of more years I would help her up but finally we had to quit because we were afraid she would hurt her back hips hopping down.  That's about when we built a ramp for her to get down off the porch and onto the ground.  She loved it except she would only use it to go down...   still came up the steps to get back inside!!!  All we can figure is it didn't hurt as much to walk up the stairs as it did to go down! 

Was she spoiled ??? ??? ???

you bet she was.  We often said she hit the 'jackpot' when our son snatched her up off that porch that night.

So many great memories...

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »

:)
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2017, 09:20:57 AM »

:)

Fortunately we've had this little kitten to help take our thoughts away from the passing of Snickers.

The kitten will be staying here with our daughter when we head north so not sure what will happen then.  Hopefully just get home and get buried in my work and back to 'the grind'!

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 09:55:57 AM »

And you will still miss your pup.  Wish they would live longer but losing them wouldn't be any easier.
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up