MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Pets > She's gone...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: She's gone...  (Read 2418 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
Re: She's gone...
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2017, 08:19:05 AM »

Hyperdog Slingshot.....  do tell?

Is it better than the Tennis Ball Chucker?

LOL - a 6.49 add on item on AMAZON.

Thanks BRD!

I would say if you have the room to shoot it the Hyperdog is better although it costs about twice as much. 

I have actually posted about them a couple of times.

http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15684.msg520844#msg520844

http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=14497.msg442739#msg442739

"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2017, 02:45:54 PM »

I would say if you have the room to shoot it the Hyperdog is better although it costs about twice as much. 

I have actually posted about them a couple of times.

http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15684.msg520844#msg520844

http://monroetalks.com/forum/index.php?topic=14497.msg442739#msg442739

I searched high and low for a better tennis ball chucker before I went on vacation - and that one didn't come up.

I have one in my Amazon shopping cart - it is an add on item - so I need to wait for someone to need to purchase something else.

Can't wait!

Thanks!

In the mean time she is pretty happy with the chucker.  I just wish I could wear her out.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2017, 05:28:14 PM »

I searched high and low for a better tennis ball chucker before I went on vacation - and that one didn't come up.

I have one in my Amazon shopping cart - it is an add on item - so I need to wait for someone to need to purchase something else.

Can't wait!

Thanks!

In the mean time she is pretty happy with the chucker.  I just wish I could wear her out.

I could shoot the ball for Snickers for hours...  my arm would get sore sometimes from shooting it so long.  Eventually she would start to slow down on her trips back to me but as soon as I shot it she was right back to 'hyper' stage and on a dead run.  When I started to tire out I would shoot it into the brush and make her go in and look for it.  That would give me a bit of a break as it usually took her a few minutes to find it...   smell it most likely.  Occasionally she would 'lose' the ball and I'd have to get out another one and start over.  Usually in the fall or spring when we would be back in that area she would go over and look again for the ball...   and she would find it quite often.  She had a memory 2nd to none when it came to her tennis balls.

When we had literally played this game so long at one time she would finally get to where she would just lay down on the way back with the ball...   her way of saying 'enough'.  That probably only happened about 10% of the time though.  I have some videos of her chasing balls...   I'll have to youtube them and post them.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2017, 09:59:08 PM »

Monroe Native

• Hero Talker
« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2017, 08:03:20 PM »

I got my Hyper Dog Slingshot.

I need a bigger back yard, or to become a better shot.

It keeps going over the fence.

I must say - when it gets to be a spit ball it is hard to get any distance on it at all.
I have learned that only two things are necessary to keep one's wife happy. First, let her think she's having her own way. And second, let her have it.
Lyndon B. Johnson

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
Lyndon B. Johnson

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2017, 10:48:13 PM »

I got my Hyper Dog Slingshot.

I need a bigger back yard, or to become a better shot.

It keeps going over the fence.

I must say - when it gets to be a spit ball it is hard to get any distance on it at all.

Yes, you can really reach out with it...

definitely can give your dog some exercise 8) 8) 8)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »

We have one of those raised stands for the BRD's water and food bowls.  Somehow in the confusion we left the stainless bowls in Florida when we left.  I had found them early on this last trip and put them in the car so I wouldn't forget them again. 

When I got them home my wife decided she would just start feeding our Staffordshire Terrier in the raised stand but he will just stand there and look at his food and won't eat it.  You can let it set for an hour and he still won't eat it.

Even though he was always our alpha male dog she was definitely the ALPHA dog of the group.  She wasn't even the oldest but she was the biggest although in a confrontation I'm sure the Staffie would have prevailed.  I only ever heard her even growl at him a couple of times but never ever any type of confrontation...  she was just plain in charge and all the boys knew it. 

Even when we were feeding 4 dogs in the house we never had any issues with them trying to 'steal' food from one another...   unless the boys left their bowl with food in it then she was happy to 'clean it up' for them. 

So, now, even 6 months after she's gone this guy won't eat out of her bowl...  is that just respect among dogs?

The water bowl was a shared bowl for all the dogs plus a cat so I don't think it's the height of the bowl. 

The first couple of times we tried to feed him my wife left just a few kernels in the bowl at night and the next morning the bowl was empty.  It appears the cat (female) has no problems eating out of that bowl ;D ;D ;D

CatLady

• Hero Talker
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2017, 12:29:53 PM »

According to my vet and my personal experience, animals grieve for up to two years when they lose a companion.  When we put my guard dog down, we buried him in the yard.  His companion did not see us bury him but, if you couldn't find her, she was out laying on his grave.  She did that for almost two years.

When I had to put down my old horse, we left his body in the shed for his pal to realize he was dead.  After she inspected his body, she would not go in that shed for almost a year. 

So I suspect your boy won't eat out of "her" dishes due to "respect" you could say.  It probably is his way of grieving and it will take quite a while before he will use those dishes - if ever.

I have not noticed the cats particularly grieving for a companion but when one buddy dies, the other buddy usually dies shortly thereafter.
I'm trying to like people but it's hard to get past the STUPID ones!

“I've never had a humble opinion in my life. If you're going to have one, why bother to be humble about it?”
Joan Baez

Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2017, 02:09:32 PM »

According to my vet and my personal experience, animals grieve for up to two years when they lose a companion. When we put my guard dog down, we buried him in the yard.  His companion did not see us bury him but, if you couldn't find her, she was out laying on his grave.  She did that for almost two years.

When I had to put down my old horse, we left his body in the shed for his pal to realize he was dead.  After she inspected his body, she would not go in that shed for almost a year. 

So I suspect your boy won't eat out of "her" dishes due to "respect" you could say.  It probably is his way of grieving and it will take quite a while before he will use those dishes - if ever.

I have not noticed the cats particularly grieving for a companion but when one buddy dies, the other buddy usually dies shortly thereafter.

Interesting on the two years.  I had just kind of guessed at the '6 months' I mentioned earlier then I went and looked and it was literally 6 months ago yesterday!  No wonder I've been thinking about the old girl.  I even called the Staffie by her name this morning and he even gave me the strangest look and then started looking around for her. 

It's been many, many years since we lost a dog when we had a companion dog so I've kind of forgotten their grieving.  We're down to one dog and one cat and going to try to keep those numbers for the foreseeable future ;) ;) ;)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up