MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Monroe History > A happy 200th birthday to Monroe County!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A happy 200th birthday to Monroe County!  (Read 876 times)

Professor H

• Hero Talker
Re: A happy 200th birthday to Monroe County!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 08:56:41 PM »

Last I knew the one way streets were by design, and no sanitiation issues I'm aware of. 
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 10:11:25 AM »

Last I knew the one way streets were by design, and no sanitiation issues I'm aware of.

Never liked one way streets and far as a sanitation issue, drive North on 75 past the river and take a whiff in the morning....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 10:29:37 AM »

Never liked one way streets and far as a sanitation issue, drive North on 75 past the river and take a whiff in the morning....

I think you're missing something here...

as you're heading north on 75 and start over the River Raisin you are literally right over the top of the City of Monroe sewer plant. 

100 years ago most cities would put their water intake upstream from the sewage disposal and Monroe was no different.  The water plant is on the same side of the river and just west of Winchester street. 

Water moves under pressure but sewage is 'gravity' flow unless you use a 'lift station' to raise it up so it can flow downhill again...

the first and second things a plumber learns:

So, along the river where the river meets Lake Erie is going to be the lowest point in the city and that is where the sewage plant goes by design!  I'd guess it was there before someone decided to build a freeway right over the top of it!

I'm guessing if they built a road over the top of your roof vent it probably would smell very, very similar...

unless you think your's smells more like roses ;D ;D ;D
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

ytrewq

• Hero Talker
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2017, 08:19:30 AM »

I believe the sewage plant predates 75 by a good 30 years.

Also, the smell you mention might not be the sewage plant.   There are marshlands on both sides of 75 just north of Elm.   Users of the Heritage Trail that runs along 75 to the east for about 1/2 mile from Elm to where it turns to head east out to Sterling know that the smells from the marsh can get interesting at times, especially when the water level is down and the rotting vegetation is exposed.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2017, 04:12:18 PM »

I know what shitte smells like. (not to leave myself open for comments either)....
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 10:29:12 AM »

Oldest sewage treatment plant - and probably the most successful as you don't hear about it and few people live or work nearby.    located and operated by the City  - but covers a region, thus a separate entity-   It misses my place by a mile for "service"...   not sure if that's a good or bad thing, as in the near future I'll be likely replacing my small system.   
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up