MonroeTalks.com > Categories > Miscellaneous > FREE $300 Walmart Gift Card SCAM...

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FREE $300 Walmart Gift Card SCAM...  (Read 2649 times)

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
  • The BRD in her 'younger' days... 2007.
FREE $300 Walmart Gift Card SCAM...
« on: February 24, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »

Earlier tonight I had dropped my wife to run in somewhere and I was just going to sit in the car and wait for her.  My cell phone rang and a gentleman with a very heavy Indian or Pakistani accent asked for me by name.  The caller ID showed as unknown number so I was already on guard but since I had a few minutes I thought I would toy with him a bit...

I told him that was me and asked what could I do for him...

He said he was calling to congratulate me...

That I had won a free $300 gift card from Walmart...

I told him how great that sounded but I was a little curious just how I had managed to win this card since I didn't remember entering any contests or drawings recently...

He told me that it was drawing from Walmart for everyone who had made a purchase with a credit card...   so, I knew at this point it had to be a scam of some kind because...

1.  I don't shop at Walmart (actually I was in one in Florida about 7 or 8 years ago, but I didn't figure they were going back that far)...

2.  I just don't use a credit card to buy things, much less at Walmart...

About this time I saw my wife heading for the car so I told the caller I didn't shop at Walmart and he was more than welcome to have my card...

and he asked me if I was sure I didn't shop at Walmart...   told him I was absolutely sure...   he said he needed to get his supervisor so when he put me on hold I hung up on him...

and I'll be darned if his supervisor didn't call back in a few minutes...

A guy with an even heavier accent...   he asked if I was sure I didn't shop at Walmart because they had this $300 gift card with my name on it (remember, he knew my name and he was calling on my cell phone which is not a number that most people would know to associate with my name)...

I informed him his gig was up because I never charged anything at Walmart on my credit card and that he was calling on my cell phone and that I would appreciate it if he didn't call me back on my cell phone...   and I hung up again...   and he hasn't called back again...

When I got home I did a little Googling and found this site reporting similar scam calls...

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/free-walmart-gift-card-grocery-card-amp-gas-card-c60360.html

Had I bit he would have asked me for the "customer number" on the front of my credit card just to verify that was me....    and also that they would be charging my credit card a small shipping and handling fee...

If these people would work as hard at something legitimate as they do trying to scam people they would probably be rich 8* 8* 8*

anybody else received one of these calls lately ??? ??? ???
"It's always easy to come up with a solution to someone else's problems".

Friends can email me at bigreddog1 at charter.net

Abby

• Hero Talker
Re: FREE $300 Walmart Gift Card SCAM...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:41:51 PM »

Not on the cell phone, but they do come up on the internet and when I started checking out information, I soon found out I was being sucked into a scam where I was supposed to get discounts on places I never go and services I never use and once they get the info they need it is heck to get rid of them once they start automatically charging a monthly fee to your charge card after your "free" time runs out. The ones that appeared to me were Walmart and Sam's Club.  And, like you, I do not shop at Walmart.  I have not used my charge card in connection with my email address, so there you go again--they are hacking into records somewhere along the line.

Also, when ordering online a little box sometimes comes up to ask you if you would like to take advantage of an extra  10% discount on this order only.  Then, if you even click onto it to check it out, even without following through and using the discount, they begin adding on a monthly fee to the card for services never used and places never visited.  I handled it through my credit card company and it was all taken off immediately.  I had not ordered anything from the company supposedly involved, for over two years, so no way did I sign up for the service within the last six months as they claimed.

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 02:26:16 PM »

Wow, am I lucky or what...

just received another call from Walmart and this time I had won $500...   it was only $300 last time...

I listened a little longer this time and he did tell me the only charge to me would be $4.95 for handling and that I would have to give him a valid credit card number :o :o :o

he said he was calling from Bentonville Arkansas but he sounded like he was calling from Bombay ;) ;) ;) 

I asked him how he got my number and he said it was in the "lucky draw"...

I asked what that was and he explained that they draw some receipts from Walmart shoppers every day and that the name and phone number is on the receipt...

I told him he could just deduct the $4.95 shipping and handling from my card and send me the difference...

I'm going to hold my breath until the card gets here!!!

Abby

• Hero Talker
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 10:14:29 PM »

Quote from: BigRedDog link=topic=18108.msg432846#msg432846 date=126790357

[color=purple
I'm going to hold my breath until the card gets here!!![/color]

What do you call a BigRedDog that has turned blue? ;)
"BigPurpleDog" just does not have the same ring to it!!!

brewi100100

• New Talker
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 04:23:12 AM »

Here I got my new free walmart gift card for more than 1000$ using for almost a week try it now also while its hot
http://www.giftcardgeneratorzone.com/free-walmart-gift-cards-codes-generator/

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 06:34:02 AM »

Gee, what a lucky person. Almost makes me want to give it a whirl. Almost

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 08:45:14 AM »

Here I got my new free walmart gift card for more than 1000$ using for almost a week try it now also while its hot
http://www.giftcardgeneratorzone.com/free-walmart-gift-cards-codes-generator/

To 'click' or 'not to click'...

that is the question! 

What an interesting user name...   can I just call you 'brewi'?

I think I'll pass on even clicking on the provided link.  I'd probably end up spending the whole $1000 on cleaning up my computer.

SidecarFlip

• Hero Talker
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 06:25:11 PM »

I learned long ago that if 'it's too good to be true'.  It probably isn't.  Now, having said that I have won stuff in the past, most noteably $5,000 bucks worth of KUIU hunting gear from Hunt'in Fool but then I'm a member anyway.  It's a hundred bucks a year membership so my winning should take me until I die to catch up....lol

Sure would like to win a New Mexico Elk hunt, I put in all the time...
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 08:10:32 PM »

My luck is such that I could buy all but one ticket and I would not win

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 09:56:38 AM »

I love the fact that a scammer had to log on to drop that post here...   working hard  :)

I just ran across another thread with someone's "First" post...   then poof they disappear.

If you really are a proponent of something you should at least lay an introductory foundation.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 10:10:26 AM »

I love the fact that a scammer had to log on to drop that post here...   working hard  :)

I just ran across another thread with someone's "First" post...   then poof they disappear.

If you really are a proponent of something you should at least lay an introductory foundation.

Not only signed up to make one post but then went back and found a very old thread to 'update' with their spam.  At least they didn't start a new thread ;) ;) ;)

blue2

• Hero Talker
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 10:20:37 AM »

I've been getting a few of these emails to my gmail almost every day now from this same number and once in awhile from a different number.

4193770461@vzwpix.com
to:   7402582102@vzwpix.com,
7403648531@vzwpix.com,
4199027947@icmms1.sun5.lightsurf.net,

BigRedDog

• Hero Talker
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 11:03:29 AM »

I've been getting a few of these emails to my gmail almost every day now from this same number and once in awhile from a different number.

4193770461@vzwpix.com
to:   7402582102@vzwpix.com,
7403648531@vzwpix.com,
4199027947@icmms1.sun5.lightsurf.net,

I've only had one like that but it was kind of strange.  It's like it's a text message that has been converted to an email.  I did a little googling but couldn't figure out what it was all about.  The really odd thing is that the area code was 'local' for where I was when I got it.   Strange!

Professor H

• Hero Talker
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 11:42:42 AM »

I've only had one like that but it was kind of strange.  It's like it's a text message that has been converted to an email.  I did a little googling but couldn't figure out what it was all about.  The really odd thing is that the area code was 'local' for where I was when I got it.   Strange!
I seem to recall getting something like that as well - and I think it was from someone I knew so not a scam - but they didn't know how to operate their smart phone and sent something via email instead of text.
First, it was not a strip bar, it was an erotic club. And second, what can I say? I'm a night owl.
Marion Berry

But we have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy.
Nancy Pelosi
Pages: [1]   Go Up