MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: May 22, 2018, 09:48:41 PM 
Started by BigRedDog - Last post by SidecarFlip
New Hospital?  You mean a new rendition of the butcher shop?  Been there once and left promptly.  That place is a joke.

What will be really big is when DTE mothballs the Elm Street generation station.  That is coming too.

on: May 22, 2018, 09:46:31 PM 
Started by John Kopke - Last post by SidecarFlip
Reading an article that suggested that Paul Ryan step down as speaker now to force a vote for a new speaker. That would result in a new Republican speaker since they are the majority but with the added bonus of forcing the Dems to vote for their choice of speaker. I'm sure Nancy Pelosi would win, but by how much. She's 78 years old, not popular, certainly not articulate, is she the one Dems would choose to be speaker?

Well follow me. Some Dem guy recently won special congressional election. He was good  looking and had charisma. The Republican man, to be kind, was not good looking, and zero charisma. On the issues they had a whole lot of agreement. It was Trump-ism. The "low charisma" Republican told voters Dem is lying to you. If he gets elected he'll vote like Nancy Pelosi tells him. Dem candidate spins it some, but essentially denies it. He'll do what's best for the folks. Dem wins.

Will this Dem then vote to make Nancy Pelosi Speaker? Well in the campaign he can double speak, and that's the key. He may demur during the campaign but the rubber hits the road when he's in office and he has to either vote for Nancy or some other Dem brave enough to
oppose Nancy. Then we'll really know.

So getting back to holding a new Speaker vote ASAP. Lot of "incumbent" Dems, running in Nov 2018, would rather not have a vote for Nancy on their resume. You can't wiggle when you just voted for her.

Best case scenario for Pelosi and Max Waters is coronary thrombosis.  At least two face McCain is just about done.  His next date will be a coffin.  Good riddance to bad rubbish.

on: May 22, 2018, 09:42:51 PM 
Started by John Kopke - Last post by SidecarFlip
Sadly, in this country, we are on a slippery slope heading toward civil unrest and it's being stoked by the media and sucked up by the sheeple.

If that is what John is referring to as 'all but done', I have to agree, the end is in sight and then end won't be pretty either.

on: May 22, 2018, 09:35:18 PM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by SidecarFlip
His man wife Mike (Michelle) ran the show. ;D

on: May 22, 2018, 09:30:40 PM 
Started by 12 Bones - Last post by SidecarFlip
Agree downtown Adrian is confusing.  I've bee thru it many times in last 20 years going to the schools.   On the way home I almost always end up where I didn't want to be

Supposedly it's fixed but you could fool me.  Before it was a cluster fudge going north or south on M52.  Now, it's jut a PITA.

Like Monroe.  I've never understood why city planners designate one way streets.  I wonder if any of the have ever negotiated them.

Something else that Adrian has in common with Monroe is back alleys.

...and Adrian, like Monroe is loosing retail tenents in their Mall.  It's basically a ghost town.  people don't do malls today but Monroe has 2 losers, Adrian only has one.

on: May 22, 2018, 09:26:14 PM 
Started by 12 Bones - Last post by SidecarFlip
...and they both have poor governance.  The only thing Adrian has going for it is the colleges on the north east side of town.  Adrian has a big drug issue, just like Monroe but Adrian has very few blacks and more Mexicans whereas Monroe has very few Mexicans and more blacks.

Didn't bother to compare Ann Arbor to either because Ann Arbor is a different ball game.  Jackson is like Monroe and Adrian, downtown is depressing.

Don't know about unemployment figures or people on public assistance bit I'd say both Adrian and Monroe have plenty.

Of course the City of Adrian is allowing a mary-jane operation in, across from Inteva on Beecher Street diagonally across from Gus Harrison.  That will be interesting in itself.  At least Adrian and Madison Township have a full time police department, they are going to need it.  I have a feeling that it will wind up a net loss enterprise for the city.

on: May 22, 2018, 07:44:45 PM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by Monroe Native
But but but if they go after Obama it will be racial.

Obama knows nothing.

He said so.

on: May 22, 2018, 07:43:28 PM 
Started by 12 Bones - Last post by Monroe Native
Chelsea, Dundee, Tecumseh, Milan and others are all smaller (basically have one main street) unlike Monroe.  For a valid comparison, use Adrian.  Adrian has the same issues as Monroe, it's downtown is mired on political postulation and the atmosphere is stagnant.  People in Adrian go outside downtown to do everything, just like Monroe.  I think it has to do with size, age of infrastructure and poor vehicular planning (one way streets and go nowhere streets)

I find downtown Monroe and Adrian depressing.

I do too - that is I find them depressing.

I find it depressing how far down hill Monroe has went in the last 10-15 years.

I think the more telling demographic between Monroe / Adrian and all those other places is Median Income.

I have this crazy theory that there is a direct correlation between Median Income and Education.  I also have a crazy theory that higher education levels are found around nice places to live and work.

Monroe - and probably Adrian - long prided itself as blue collar union towns.  Now - Monroe had some money - La Z Boy, Monroe Auto Equipment, Paper Mills, but all those people are long dead, and their kids took a look around town and have appeared to leave.  Now - I have no issue with blue collar at all - but you have to admit that with the decline of Auto Manufacturing Jobs - the ability to get a 6 figure job with a high school diploma went by the wayside.

Did you know that Monroe's Median income is half that of most of the other cities I listed?

Monroe has become a commuter town if you want a high paying job for the most part.

The reason to move their is location, the lake, the fishing, and low housing prices and low taxes.

I'm not sure how long those will be compelling reasons to live there if it continues on the course it has been on the last 10-15 years.

on: May 22, 2018, 07:37:01 PM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by blue2
But but but if they go after Obama it will be racial.

on: May 22, 2018, 07:34:46 PM 
Started by 12 Bones - Last post by blue2
Agree downtown Adrian is confusing.  I've bee thru it many times in last 20 years going to the schools.   On the way home I almost always end up where I didn't want to be

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10