MonroeTalks.com > Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 10:01:42 AM 
Started by Professor H - Last post by SidecarFlip
I cleaned them off.  We had another heavy frost last night.  I see the bird feeders are empty.  I'll have to replenish them today....

on: Today at 10:00:02 AM 
Started by ytrewq - Last post by SidecarFlip
again everybody will have their own views and opinions on mobile home park living - I know in my particular one we have hard working (even a lot of two income) households that for whatever reason are choosing to live in a mobile home.  I know when we bought ours 20 years ago, at that time, due to several factors it was about the only thing we could do.  Do we regret buying a mobile home? maybe at times, and at other times, no we are just fine.  As for expensive cars, yes I have seen both sides of that as well - there have been (well what we might consider expensive since ours is 18 years old) expensive cars and there are cars that make noises everytime they drive by - for a while I could pinpoint who was going by just by the sound of the car.

Everybody wants to compare mobile home living with brick and mortar - ok what about apartment living?  who pays taxes there? I once was an apartment dweller and I certainly did not pay property taxes so why are apartments never brought into the equation?

I will say, this will be my last comment as I am not going to sit and continue to go back and forth; on some things it is just going to be better for me to say what I think/feel and leave it at that.  So anybody who wishes to carry this debate on - carry on.

Seems like a very civil discussion to me.  No stone throwing or finger pointing, just facts being presented.  Being a landlord myself, I know that apartment buildings pay their fair share of RE taxes based on ACV.  I never know how mobile homes were taxed until Mav posted it.  I fined that very interesting and very unfair to owners of dwellings with footers.  I think as a mobile home owner you should pay RE tax based on the ACV of your dwelling, not 36 bucks a year.  Don't find that owners of real property should be paying your share but then you probably have no problem with that.

on: Today at 09:50:02 AM 
In a way, reminds me of the City of Petersburg.  Residents there are taxed at the highest mil rate of any incorporated community in Monroe County and the 'downtown' area has had a mass exodus of local business.  About all that remains is a bar, a beanery, a hair salon, the bank and library, many vacant storefronts.  What I find interesting is the City of Petersburg's board seems to have no will to bring in business or even look at grants.  I don't get that.  Petersburg is dying and the residents will get to carry everything.

on: Today at 09:39:39 AM 
Started by eriemermaid - Last post by SidecarFlip
Another pill mill.  Interesting.

on: Today at 09:38:29 AM 
Was at the Petersburg branch yesterday to make a deposit to my commercial account and asked the teller if anything is changing.  She said 'business as usual', whatever that means.

I agree, too many under performing branches.  I suspect a lot of employees will be unhappy down the line.

on: Today at 09:02:54 AM 
Started by John Kopke - Last post by blue2
John, there probably still to many voters standing with the Dems because that's what they've been trained to do.  However I do see a few people I'll label as union workers that have abandoned the democrats.  That's kind of unheard of.  I know my wife would have voted for any Dem because her dad was so adamant about supporting Dems being a union steward at a big company in Toledo.

on: Today at 07:47:56 AM 
Started by Monroe Native - Last post by eriemermaid
I believe it was a bar/pizza joint called Dino’s back in the 70’s.

I have been there many times! :)  Pizza made by Fox! LOL 

on: Today at 12:08:46 AM 
Started by Monroe Native - Last post by Maverick
I don't remember that. I remember when it was a movie theatre then I thought it went right to Johny n Joes after being vacant for a few years then Dolce. Been wrong before though!!

on: October 17, 2018, 11:00:18 PM 
Started by ytrewq - Last post by ytrewq
Rumor from a pretty reputable source was ~100.   And mostly better paying back office jobs, not near-minimum wage branch staff.

They have too many branches.   Local pride was the only reason for no closing more.

on: October 17, 2018, 10:39:16 PM 
Started by John Kopke - Last post by John Kopke
Watching a you tube performance of Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald doing "What a fool believes. Fantastic. I love it. Yet I see these performers, who do such great works, side with the leftists. Why? Did big government mandate that millions of folks buy their recordings? No, the folks did it on their own. Result they deservedly got rich. Yet these celebrities are all on board for government giving people money they didn't earn. So what's the deal?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10